Stutter/inconsistent performance

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
netarangi

Re: Stutter/inconsistent performance

Post by netarangi » 22 Jul 2022, 17:55

texre wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 17:40
netarangi wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 16:27
Slender wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 18:44
netarangi wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 06:01
Hi all,

Have had this issue for over a year now and can't solve it. I'll try my best to explain it..

Whenever I'm gaming it feels like there is a slight input delay at all times and it gets worse when there's more action on screen or when enemies shoot etc. It feels like there's an overlay on the game and I'm not directly controlling it, rather a slightly delayed video.

I was playing gunfire reborn earlier and the fps graph isn't a smooth framerate but it's moreso dropping 5% or so every second. Staring at one spot on a wall and it is mostly fine except small spikes in the framerate graph every second. Definitely not how I remember gaming as a kid..

Call me crazy but it feels like it is something to do with interrupts causing stutter.

Very hard to describe, would a video be good to show what I mean?

Specs:

Windows 11
Nvidia gigabyte 3070 oc gaming
12700kf
Asus Gaming TUF Z690-Plus WiFi D4
Corsair Vengeance lpx 4000 running stable cl14
Samsung 970 evo plus nvme
z690 and 12700kf --- this
Issue was present on my 9600k and gigabyte aorus board
its your internet or house
I did think it was due to that, moved places a month ago and had exact same performance when I moved. Either I'm super unlucky or it's something else. I don't see how it could be power tbh, stutters occur when I'm gaming and when something is loaded for first time, eg. An npc shoots and it loads animation or sound effect.

Thanks for responses guys I'll test everything out.
https://t.me/pump_upp

DPRTMELR

Post by DPRTMELR » 24 Jul 2022, 21:25

Corsair Vengeance lpx 4000 running stable cl14
Are you sure? If you aren't, you need to be sure of this first before anything else. Or at the very least drop the oc down a few notches while you figure this out. TM5 for 2 hours don't mean jack.
Definitely not how I remember gaming as a kid..
You will need to readjust your expectations. There's reason why there are people are installing windows xp on their 12900k (who knows what kind of games they are playing lol, maybe the best starcraft2 machine on the planet or something), or why there are people restoring their 20 year old CRTs monitors in their garage.
I was playing gunfire reborn earlier and the fps graph isn't a smooth framerate but it's moreso dropping 5% or so every second. Staring at one spot on a wall and it is mostly fine except small spikes in the framerate graph every second.
It could literally be anything, but my random guess from the description alone is unstable net (or very unlikely, an overheated ssd)
try interrupt moderation ON and moderation interval to medium and see if it gets better.

Try loading up some modern game and see what happens. Try without ethernet cable and see what happens. If you are on wifi go buy the ethernet cable D:
Most adults need 7-8 hours of sleep each night. - US FDA

netarangi

Post by netarangi » 13 Aug 2022, 20:28

Still ongoing..

Here's a screenshot of my frametimes in Spiderman. Spikes constantly.. To me it seems like there's a background process taking priority and/or interrupts..
Attachments
Spidey.png
Spidey.png (227.97 KiB) Viewed 2353 times

Cyanide_

Post by Cyanide_ » 14 Aug 2022, 01:24

Hey man I'm struggling with similar issue, it could be virtually anything - bad windows install, bad ram overclock, faulty mobo (bloated capacitors etc.), bad PSU, overheating/throttling, list goes on.

netarangi

Post by netarangi » 15 Aug 2022, 02:58

Iserverthefirelord wrote:
14 Aug 2022, 01:24
Hey man I'm struggling with similar issue, it could be virtually anything - bad windows install, bad ram overclock, faulty mobo (bloated capacitors etc.), bad PSU, overheating/throttling, list goes on.
Surely there's a way to diagnose it?

My framerate fluctuates 10% per second just staring at a wall in game lol

Kyouki

Post by Kyouki » 15 Aug 2022, 03:41

Hi there,

Is this issue consistent? or constant? Or does it vary?

One portion I would maybe advise in looking is Windows Defender (MsMpEng.exe) running a background scan which hogs up 20% of CPU usages/interrupts periodically like spike like yours. Running a fast scan (which is faster then background anyway) yourself should lighten the issue and eventually make it disappear.
Windows is designed to do this background scan and found this was commonly the stutter I found in helping others diagnose some PC stuttery related issues.

Other thing you could look into is PageFaults or PF Delta in Task Manager to see which applications are having a lot of them and I found terminating those also made the system feel less stuttery.

Disabling is.. well another thing that I rather leave up to your choice but I know this helped at least a few people who had this issue as well.
CPU: AMD R7 5800x3D ~ PBO2Tuner -30 ~ no C states
RAM: Gskill Bdie 2x16gb TridentZ Neo ~ CL16-16-16-36 1T ~ fine tuned latency
GPU: ASUS TUF 3080 10G OC Edition(v1/non-LHR) ~ disabled Pstates ~ max oced
Monitor: Alienware AW2521H ~ mix of ULMB/Gsync @ 240hz/360hz
More specs: https://kit.co/Kyouki/the-pc-that-stomps-you

netarangi

Post by netarangi » 15 Aug 2022, 17:13

Kyouki wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 03:41
Hi there,

Is this issue consistent? or constant? Or does it vary?

One portion I would maybe advise in looking is Windows Defender (MsMpEng.exe) running a background scan which hogs up 20% of CPU usages/interrupts periodically like spike like yours. Running a fast scan (which is faster then background anyway) yourself should lighten the issue and eventually make it disappear.
Windows is designed to do this background scan and found this was commonly the stutter I found in helping others diagnose some PC stuttery related issues.

Other thing you could look into is PageFaults or PF Delta in Task Manager to see which applications are having a lot of them and I found terminating those also made the system feel less stuttery.

Disabling is.. well another thing that I rather leave up to your choice but I know this helped at least a few people who had this issue as well.
Hey there, thanks for the reply.

This is a constant issue and I have it across all games. Gunfire Reborn for example can be super smooth when nothing is going on but then heavy input lag and stutters when there's action or if assets are loaded.

I was looking in Process Monitor last night trying to diagnose and I had the same theory re: defender. Had Spiderman open and let Process Monitor log what is going on. Closed most background tasks and the only thing happening was file reads from the game. Assuming it could be scanning each time a game file is scanned and loaded.

What's the best way to disable it? Methods I've tried always re-enable it on reboot and I'm not sure how to permanently disable all security.

Kyouki

Post by Kyouki » 16 Aug 2022, 01:48

netarangi wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 17:13
Hey there, thanks for the reply.

This is a constant issue and I have it across all games. Gunfire Reborn for example can be super smooth when nothing is going on but then heavy input lag and stutters when there's action or if assets are loaded.

I was looking in Process Monitor last night trying to diagnose and I had the same theory re: defender. Had Spiderman open and let Process Monitor log what is going on. Closed most background tasks and the only thing happening was file reads from the game. Assuming it could be scanning each time a game file is scanned and loaded.

What's the best way to disable it? Methods I've tried always re-enable it on reboot and I'm not sure how to permanently disable all security.
Hi there,

Kind of good to know, sorta. If it's in everything it surely must be that. Have you tried running a manual fast scan and see overtime if it disappears or improved?

This is the tool I like to suggest as its easily reversible and not permanent damage. Though unless you know what you're doing, I cannot recommend it. (other then maybe put everything you run prior into virustotal to double verify)

https://www.sordum.org/9480/defender-control-v2-1/
CPU: AMD R7 5800x3D ~ PBO2Tuner -30 ~ no C states
RAM: Gskill Bdie 2x16gb TridentZ Neo ~ CL16-16-16-36 1T ~ fine tuned latency
GPU: ASUS TUF 3080 10G OC Edition(v1/non-LHR) ~ disabled Pstates ~ max oced
Monitor: Alienware AW2521H ~ mix of ULMB/Gsync @ 240hz/360hz
More specs: https://kit.co/Kyouki/the-pc-that-stomps-you