Need Help Diagnosing Strange Bootup Behavior.

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Slender

Re: Need Help Diagnosing Strange Bootup Behavior.

Post by Slender » 20 Jul 2022, 13:15

Shade7 wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 19:47
Slender wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 18:46

my friend have some problem on asus.
try to set only 3-4 custom resolution in cru like 1920 1080 280hz (lcd reduced + all unchecked)
I only use 1 resolution, can I try setting that?
Attachments
like that.PNG
like that.PNG (43.09 KiB) Viewed 1120 times

DPRTMELR

Post by DPRTMELR » 20 Jul 2022, 16:10

When that blurry thing happens, there's a key you can press to see if there's any diagnostics or warning messages that gets ignored boot. It's like tab or esc? or you can change the setting altogether on your bios settings, you could get lucky and board will tell you what's wrong. Maybe try disabling fastboot completely and see if it helps as it's usually set to enabled or auto for "medium boot".
Most adults need 7-8 hours of sleep each night. - US FDA

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 20 Jul 2022, 16:20

DPRTMELR wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 16:10
When that blurry thing happens, there's a key you can press to see if there's any diagnostics or warning messages that gets ignored boot. It's like tab or esc? or you can change the setting altogether on your bios settings, you could get lucky and board will tell you what's wrong. Maybe try disabling fastboot completely and see if it helps as it's usually set to enabled or auto for "medium boot".
Usually have Fast boot disabled. I'll have to try pressing esc/tab when it happens next.

sherifmagdy32

Post by sherifmagdy32 » 20 Jul 2022, 19:02

From what you saying with the refresh rate changing try checking your Nvidia profile and if you do any type of overclocking check MSI afterburner and check if the profile is applied and it is not reset to default values if you found it did reset this means your graphics driver having a problem and resting on windows start for some reason I would suggest doing a clean install using DDU and installing the latest driver if this is not the case then I would suggest testing the monitor on another pc see if it is the problem if not try testing your GPU in another pc and see if the problem still exist if it does it might be hardware problem hopefully thermal paste change fix it if not then it needs to get checked out
for the weird stuff when booting I would suggest disabling CSM Support hopefully this was helpful.

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 20 Jul 2022, 22:06

sherifmagdy32 wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 19:02
From what you saying with the refresh rate changing try checking your Nvidia profile and if you do any type of overclocking check MSI afterburner and check if the profile is applied and it is not reset to default values if you found it did reset this means your graphics driver having a problem and resting on windows start for some reason I would suggest doing a clean install using DDU and installing the latest driver if this is not the case then I would suggest testing the monitor on another pc see if it is the problem if not try testing your GPU in another pc and see if the problem still exist if it does it might be hardware problem hopefully thermal paste change fix it if not then it needs to get checked out
for the weird stuff when booting I would suggest disabling CSM Support hopefully this was helpful.
Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it.

I don't have Nvidia Afterburner installed anymore (and I don't think I've installed it in this clean installation of Windows 11) Is there a chance settings get carried over (saved onto the GPU itself) through a clean installation of Window?

I am using EVGA Precision X at the moment to control my fan curve. It's been about 4 years since I've gotten this GPU, and I've never tried changing the thermal paste. Temperature wise, it seems like my temps are under control, they stay between 35-50C while gaming.

Have CSM support disabled. And, have been trying different drivers (latest few ones), and usually use DDU between them (when I'm not feeling too lazy).

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 20 Jul 2022, 22:08

MegaMelmek wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 12:34
xShino wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 10:34
I have same monitor as you and same behavior with the 144Hz sometime it boot with 144Hz and i can change it only by restart PC… It never hapend on Alienware monitor.. so i suspect monitor then…
Yeah kinda, I have ASUS VG279QM and had the same issue, but I was always using an older Nvidia driver. After format I only used recent drivers, since then I didn't get this issue.
Last drivers from asus 6.3. 2020 only for windows 10 64bit.... no win 11.... its kinda outdated
Are you talking about the GPU drivers?

I usually just check the latest from Nvidia and update to it (2022 drivers).