In the end it was the stupid ethernet cable

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Ravenous

Re: In the end it was the stupid ethernet cable

Post by Ravenous » 28 Aug 2022, 05:16

f1ndus wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 04:38
Ravenous wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 02:12
Hi, I made this thread at the end of July, since then a lot has happened. The guy who said it will come back was right. Lag did come back but this time I was determined to find the real source of the problem. I asked my neighbor who lives under me in the apartment block to use his electricity to run my pc. I ran an extension cord from one of his sockets to my room and everything felt fine. Very good mouse feel and hitreg so I became convinced it is electricity related. After this I hired someone to install a new socket in the room my pc is and run it directly from the fuse panel. Again like all fixes this made the game feel better but the issue was still there. I started experimenting with unplugging appliances like the refrigerator out. Unplugging the refrigerator made the game playable sometimes, sometimes not.

I started looking for electricity fixes and a new fix that is going around youtube and some telegram channels is to plug a soldering iron or a lamp in the same extension cord as the pc. I ordered a 50w led lamp and used it for a couple of days. The game improved somewhat especially after the lamp heated up. I was so disappointed that the problem might be unfixable since I already experimented with unplugging everything from the house and just having the pc, monitor and router plugged in.

A couple of weeks ago I took a look at the fuse box outside the apartment. There are 3 apartments on this floor yet the fuse box had 4 fuses. I noticed the 4th fuse has a cable leading to an old metal box. I opened that box and this is what I found: https://ibb.co/c3FQnKn
It is an amplifier for a TV antenna that is on top of the block. I guess some old TV company installed and never disabled it once everyone switched to fiber. I quickly disconnected this amplifier and tested the game. I was blown away by the smoothness. It really felt like a complete fix. The colors on the monitor were also more vivid. No more jagged edges around the boxes/corners in csgo. Mouse feel became perfect.

In the end it was not the ethernet cable though messing with it definitely changed the feel, it was just a symptom of a bigger problem. The issue is 100% resolved for me now.

haha so happiness from u when u did something, this placebo fixes are awesome for sure, i had too this feeling when i did something in house, also when i plug 50m extension cord from my neighboor for 1 month without any result, enjoy your few days placebo feeling.
source of our problem unfortunately it is not visible or tangible :?
No placebo this time, I can tell because the colors look much more vivid, that is something no other fix has achieved before. That amplifier was definitely adding interference to my mains. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can confirm if that type of device can mess with the Electricity just by being connected to the same source. By the way, this is where that amplifier was connected: https://ibb.co/Xs5C0jf (the red wire) the other fuses go to the other appartments on the same floor.

shebu

Post by shebu » 28 Aug 2022, 09:05

Ravenous wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 05:16
No placebo this time, I can tell because the colors look much more vivid, that is something no other fix has achieved before. That amplifier was definitely adding interference to my mains. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can confirm if that type of device can mess with the Electricity just by being connected to the same source. By the way, this is where that amplifier was connected: https://ibb.co/Xs5C0jf (the red wire) the other fuses go to the other appartments on the same floor.
Due to the frequency filtering, this box can generate a lot of spurious noise.

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » 29 Aug 2022, 14:16

Please delete this topic. It's all useless, I will try to move to another place.

omusubi0216

Post by omusubi0216 » 29 Aug 2022, 18:59

Ravenous wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 14:16
Please delete this topic. It's all useless, I will try to move to another place.
What happened? Is the issue back again?

assombrosso

Post by assombrosso » 29 Aug 2022, 21:25

The real fix in theory should be solar panel system+ strong shielded case . Maybe this won’t even fix it for too long

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 30 Aug 2022, 01:01

Ravenous wrote:
Hahahah, don't give up my dude.
Rog Strix Z790i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Aug 2022, 17:42

omusubi0216 wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 18:59
What happened? Is the issue back again?
No, I think it's the discussion tangents that the OP feels are useless.

The first page of this thread, has the most informative posts.
Ravenous wrote:
I will follow request halfway -- I've Locked this thread because it is potential bait for offtopic discussion.
People searching will find it useful to add "check Ethernet cable" to the troubleshooting test suite of a lag problem.

This thread has a useful tidbit of knowledge which is why I am reluctant to delete this thread:
Defective Ethernet cables are definitely one of the many "possible unexpected" causes of lag. Unfortunately, there's many millions of unexpected causes of lag (hardware and software, internal and external), so it's easy to get in fights on legitimacy of many lag-troubleshooting approaches and whether or not it's worth including specific things in a lag troubleshooting session.

If you genuinely want this thread to be deleted, please send me a PM.

Thanks,
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!