input lag + interesting finding

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
zurdex

input lag + interesting finding

Post by zurdex » 30 Jul 2022, 17:18

So I have been struggling with basically the same lag that other user's also post about, I have also been looking around here for awhile

After a few years now I still do not know what causes my lag, but my game is completely desynced + mouse movements and clicks are terrible & delayed online & offline with multiple computers over the years, with my internet being perfectly fine.

I started up an old laptop to get some things off of it and I realized the mouse lag isn't present on the laptop at all, I downloaded some games and tested and there's absolutely no input lag at all, the only problem is that its not the greatest laptop and I run most games at like 30fps. The normal delay I have with my PC doesn't seem to happen on the laptop at all and even on 20-30 fps bullets register perfectly compared to my pc which I found to be quite funny.

I took the parts out of the laptop out of curiosity and placed them in my PC, including the storage and everything and the lag still persists, however once I put them back in the laptop it runs perfectly fine again.
I used the same mouse keyboard and audio interface for both devices, and even connected both to the same exact msi optix g24c monitor

I am honestly not sure if this will help anybody, but I just wanted to leave it here in case anyone knows how this happens and how I can fix it.

Pc specs:
samsung 512 evo ssd
rtx 2070 super
intel i7 12700
msi mag morter b660m

Laptop specs:
Some old intel cpu
integrated graphics

assombrosso

Re: input lag + interesting finding

Post by assombrosso » 30 Jul 2022, 21:39

In laptop, does it happen while charged or on battery?

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 30 Jul 2022, 22:52

Interesting- keep investigating.

Does having the laptop plugged in vs on Battery make a difference?

zurdex

Post by zurdex » 30 Jul 2022, 23:47

When I was using the laptop it was plugged in to the same outlet as my PC

mybad

Post by mybad » 31 Jul 2022, 03:10

The server removes "input lag" because you have low fps. nothing special.
It's funny reading this million topics while admins supported that.
All input lag is generated by the server. I have no idea when you accepted that.

DPRTMELR

Post by DPRTMELR » 31 Jul 2022, 03:56

zurdex wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 17:18
I used the same mouse keyboard and audio interface for both devices, and even connected both to the same exact msi optix g24c monitor
this is not an advantage lol plug them to the back of the board.
Most adults need 7-8 hours of sleep each night. - US FDA

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Aug 2022, 17:56

mybad wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 03:10
This part is TRUE.

The server has automatic lag handicapping algorithms for LPB's (Low Ping Bastards) and lag unhandicapping algorithms for high-lag users. It's not symmetric, and it is not found in all games, but these flawed algorithms is widely covered by other people on the Internet. There is no conspiracy (cc: whomever reported this post, this is not false information)

That being said, there's a sweet spot, and sometimes the sweet spot for a specific is 30-40ms network latency (+/- 0ms ping jitter), rather than 5ms network latency.

Since frametime is GPU lag, *some* game servers necessarily has to compensate for it. The esports game algorithm includes framerate in its (flawed) lag-compensation algorithms, so you are factually true. But this may or may not be a specific person's cause of lag problem -- the problem is the difficulty of diagnosing this;

The problem is other people on the server can have lots of ping jitter, some low, some high, and the server is trying to level a distorted playing field. Creates tons of hitreg issues, sometimes algorithm-intentional and sometimes unintentional (e.g. algorithm bug).

Game developer companies unfortunately don't share their playing-field-levelling algorithm (various different kinds of good & buggy lag compensation algorithms & other algorithms), to prevent cheaters from trying to exploit it. We often redherring and misattribute it to other causes.
mybad wrote:
All input lag is generated by the server. I have no idea when you accepted that.
Ambiguous phrase

But the way I read it, this part is false. The lag is a very long chain with zillions of causes, not just the server. For many people, it is simply very hard to troubleshoot where, especially if the lag is part of a black-box algorithm in the game.

At least if I read this sentence, because I don't know if you meant either of these two completely opposite interpretations:
All input lag is generated by the server. -- I have no idea when you accepted that [preceding false statement].
or
All input lag is generated by the server. -- I have no idea when you accepted that [there are other causes of lag].
(To my brain, it reads as the latter, not the former. Because it does not specify what was accepted (it could refer to anything posted earlier, not just that specific sentence). Depending on the human and how they've been trained in English, your sentence is interpretable as both true/false, so rephrasing may be required to 100% eliminate the accidental interpretation flexibility.)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Slender

Post by Slender » 02 Aug 2022, 23:24

mybad wrote:
It's funny reading this million topics while admins supported that.
does your mouse also work on the server?

mybad

Post by mybad » 06 Aug 2022, 04:59

literally yes, all your "hits damage" should be approved by the server.