Comparison Local Pc + Nvidia GeForce Now

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
afn7

Comparison Local Pc + Nvidia GeForce Now

Post by afn7 » 03 Aug 2022, 09:15

Hello, as most of you know we all have some sort of weird input lag/delay/hit reg, etc.

I'm one of you guys, despite all of my trying and efforts, still have weird blurry, delayed everything. Today I'll share 2 videos that I just captured using my phone.

First video is from my local PC: https://streamable.com/52r7iu

Second video is from my local PC using NvidiaGeForceNow: https://streamable.com/f3l6re

Monitor in the video is MSI Nxg253r 360hz.

My question is: Why when I use Nvidia GeForce Now to play the game, my monitor seems more smooth and feels like high HZ, and the game is not delayed?
Asus Rog Strix z590 Gaming E
Intel I7 11700k
Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz cl16
Msi RTX 3060 TI Ventus 3x OC
CM Power supply 750w 80+ Bronze

Shade7

Re: Comparison Local Pc + Nvidia GeForce Now

Post by Shade7 » 03 Aug 2022, 16:03

afn7 wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 09:15
Hello, as most of you know we all have some sort of weird input lag/delay/hit reg, etc.

I'm one of you guys, despite all of my trying and efforts, still have weird blurry, delayed everything. Today I'll share 2 videos that I just captured using my phone.

First video is from my local PC: https://streamable.com/52r7iu

Second video is from my local PC using NvidiaGeForceNow: https://streamable.com/f3l6re

Monitor in the video is MSI Nxg253r 360hz.

My question is: Why when I use Nvidia GeForce Now to play the game, my monitor seems more smooth and feels like high HZ, and the game is not delayed?

TBH- cannot tell just form those videos (would have to be side-by-side and with same input pattern in both scenarios). One is a colored background vs a gray/black/white background. I don't know if that makes a significant different, but just noticed it.

Also, is it possible you are putting in inputs faster in the first video? Maybe GeForce experience has an input delay & your movement is slower (which would appear smoother?)

afn7

Post by afn7 » 04 Aug 2022, 06:59

Shade7 wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 16:03
TBH- cannot tell just form those videos (would have to be side-by-side and with same input pattern in both scenarios). One is a colored background vs a gray/black/white background. I don't know if that makes a significant different, but just noticed it.

Also, is it possible you are putting in inputs faster in the first video? Maybe GeForce experience has an input delay & your movement is slower (which would appear smoother?)
Well, when I first try GeForceNow, I notice my keyboard felt responsive, and my monitor felt fluid, even though I was playing through the distanced server(which gives me latency because of ping). Then I decided to take a video that prove me right IMO. Of course, we can do more professional tests, like the same speed, etc. but I have more than 2.5k hours on rocket league, so I did not think that matters. My theory, even if we do test with the same speed, my local computer would have a blurry image. In the video just focus on the ball and you'll understand my point.

Maybe people in this forum with the same delay and issues would try GeForceNow 24 hours premium to see how it performs. I also tested csgo and same issue.
Intel I7 11700k

andrelip

Post by andrelip » 04 Aug 2022, 14:18

I think it is because the mouse capture is decoupled from the game.
In Geforce Now you capture 100% of the mouse events at constant intervals and send that buffer to the server.

When you render the game yourself:
1) The game reads at irregular times
2) The game can block mouse capture
3) You may have a race condition for resource

afn7

Post by afn7 » 05 Aug 2022, 08:08

So we can safe to say, GeForceNow kind of acts as a VPN? Because we are connecting the game server from another server.

Also yesterday, just of curiosity I installed windows 10(latest stock) with CSM+Legacy to MBR m2ssd. It seems more stable than UEFI+GPT. Still testing tho.
Intel I7 11700k

Stimpy7314

Post by Stimpy7314 » 05 Aug 2022, 08:33

afn7 wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 08:08
So we can safe to say, GeForceNow kind of acts as a VPN? Because we are connecting the game server from another server.

Also yesterday, just of curiosity I installed windows 10(latest stock) with CSM+Legacy to MBR m2ssd. It seems more stable than UEFI+GPT. Still testing tho.
Did it felt less floaty on legacy? I've been trying out legacy too and surprisingly it feels better too

afn7

Post by afn7 » 05 Aug 2022, 18:07

Stimpy7314 wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 08:33
afn7 wrote:

Did it felt less floaty on legacy? I've been trying out legacy too and surprisingly it feels better too
Yes, I've been testing all day today. I can definitely say CSM + Legacy with MBR feels more comfortable and less floaty. No secure boot + TPM and I could play valorant. I'll stick with a legacy to test more. My theory is maybe some devices don't fully support UEFI so we end up having issues. Even tho I updated my GTX 1080 VBIOS and GOP. Also, latency moon shows less latency with this setup.
Intel I7 11700k

Plznoinputlag

Post by Plznoinputlag » 05 Aug 2022, 23:31

afn7 wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 18:07
Stimpy7314 wrote:
afn7 wrote:

Yes, I've been testing all day today. I can definitely say CSM + Legacy with MBR feels more comfortable and less floaty. No secure boot + TPM and I could play valorant. I'll stick with a legacy to test more. My theory is maybe some devices don't fully support UEFI so we end up having issues. Even tho I updated my GTX 1080 VBIOS and GOP. Also, latency moon shows less latency with this setup.
but without secure boot enabled u cant pla faceit or valorant??

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 06 Aug 2022, 02:35

My drive is formatted as GPT (and I installed Win10 with CSM disabled). Just tried CSM enabled + OS set to "other OS" instead of UEFI. Personally, I felt like it increased my input delay. Mouse movements didn't appear or feel slower (similar appearance on monitor), but there was a longer delay for the movements to register (my G-pro Wireless Superlight felt like a "cheaper" wireless mouse with that amount of input delay).

skkiNN

Post by skkiNN » 06 Aug 2022, 08:29

afn7 wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 18:07
Stimpy7314 wrote:
afn7 wrote:

Bro i got a titan x Pascal (similar to yours 1080), whats the point ti update vbios? And how to do it sir?
Gop? What does it means? Thanks in advance