No input lag after Alt-Tabbing

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Wayzer

No input lag after Alt-Tabbing

Post by Wayzer » 03 Aug 2022, 11:11

Hey guys! So I have this annoying issue in every game. When I'm just casually playing I notice a little difference in mouse movement, input mouse click and keyboard delay. So, after alt-tabbing - the input delay is absolutely fine, mouse click great, strafes are light and my mouse movement very fast. It lasts for 30 secs and then some strange annoying input delay returns and stays until I alt-tab again. And it repeats every single time.
Has anyone experienced this? Because it driving me crazy, I dont have that real heavy input delay that I had before, but its still annoying because I know how I should feel this input delay when I'm alt-tabbing.
if anyone has any advice please let me know!

Mugabi

Re: No input lag after Alt-Tabbing

Post by Mugabi » 03 Aug 2022, 17:41

Yes this happens a lot, some say related to a windows update or nvidia driver thingy

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 03 Aug 2022, 19:05

Wayzer wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 11:11
Hey guys! So I have this annoying issue in every game. When I'm just casually playing I notice a little difference in mouse movement, input mouse click and keyboard delay. So, after alt-tabbing - the input delay is absolutely fine, mouse click great, strafes are light and my mouse movement very fast. It lasts for 30 secs and then some strange annoying input delay returns and stays until I alt-tab again. And it repeats every single time.
Has anyone experienced this? Because it driving me crazy, I dont have that real heavy input delay that I had before, but its still annoying because I know how I should feel this input delay when I'm alt-tabbing.
I've always mentioned this behavior on this forum. I recommend either using windows 7 + disabling dwm + disabling dynamic power states via the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000

dword 32 bit value : DisableDynamicPstate

Set it to 1 & reboot/restart gpu driver & that way there's less change drastic change when alt-tabbing.

That forces P0 on your GPU. Of course if you didn't want this constantly on you can make a batch file that deletes/adds the dword and restarts the GPU driver. You could just use restart64 from CRU.

Wayzer

Post by Wayzer » 04 Aug 2022, 12:14

Mugabi wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 17:41
Yes this happens a lot, some say related to a windows update or nvidia driver thingy
Yea I have the latest windows update. Tried different drivers - no luck. (btw the 2020 drivers gave me even more input lag even without alttabbing).
What else should I try with nvidia drivers?
Eonds wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 19:05

I've always mentioned this behavior on this forum. I recommend either using windows 7 + disabling dwm + disabling dynamic power states via the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000

dword 32 bit value : DisableDynamicPstate

Set it to 1 & reboot/restart gpu driver & that way there's less change drastic change when alt-tabbing.

That forces P0 on your GPU. Of course if you didn't want this constantly on you can make a batch file that deletes/adds the dword and restarts the GPU driver. You could just use restart64 from CRU.
Thanks for your answer bud! Tried all that - no difference at all. But disabling DWM gave some little results, but it might be placebo.

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 05 Aug 2022, 15:42

Wayzer wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 11:11
Yes I have experienced this, and still experiencing this to this day. I also did mention this problem and read about it an a couple of posts too! Unfortunately I don't have a solution either.
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

Wayzer

Post by Wayzer » 10 Aug 2022, 11:31

Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 15:42
Yes I have experienced this, and still experiencing this to this day. I also did mention this problem and read about it an a couple of posts too! Unfortunately I don't have a solution either.
Yea this is driving me crazy lately. Bcs it seems like everything is ok and then you're alt-tabbing and your mouse + strafes + mouseclick feels way more responsive. Like what the hell

MontyTheAverage

Post by MontyTheAverage » 13 Aug 2022, 14:51

Wayzer wrote:
10 Aug 2022, 11:31
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
Yea this is driving me crazy lately. Bcs it seems like everything is ok and then you're alt-tabbing and your mouse + strafes + mouseclick feels way more responsive. Like what the hell
Can you test if it happens on only Online games or also offline? Make sure you test turning off anything network related.

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 14 Aug 2022, 01:11

MontyTheAverage wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 14:51
Wayzer wrote:
10 Aug 2022, 11:31
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
Can you test if it happens on only Online games or also offline? Make sure you test turning off anything network related.
It happens in a client-sided game, which is close to an offline game where all actions, hitreg, etc happen on the client then the info get's sent to the server.
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

Wayzer

Post by Wayzer » 14 Aug 2022, 10:23

MontyTheAverage wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 14:51
It's absolutely my network problem. Ethernet cable 100% (not the cable itself but some interference that comes from the ethernet cable). I have a massive improvement whenever I unplug the ethernet cable. Even on desktop and even when I unplug and plug-in almost immediately (although improvement lasts like for a minute or so).
Not a bios issue, tested every setting possible that has smth to do with network.
Could it be a internet driver issue or any related to OS problem?

Also, I have to mention that I struggled with input lag for 4 years and recently when I cut out all the cables that somehow touched the ethernet cable (telephone cable, old TV coaxial cable) - I had the biggest boost that I've ever seen in 4 years. My game now is completely playable, HOWEVER its not perfect. I would say I fixed my issue for 70-80%. But 20-30% is still there. When I found out that it's somehow related to my ethernet cable I immediately cut out cables that I mentioned above AND changed ISP along with ethernet cable. Then I saw that improvement.

I have almost the same improvement compared to unplugging ethernet cable (along with alt-tabbing) when I don't touch the mouse at all for like a minute. And I think @Thatweirdinputlag get why's that. When I dont touch my mouse being on the server (in Valorant on the firing range) - I send 10 packets (for example), whenever I'm starting to move my mouse - I send 40 packets. The more packets I send, the more input lag I'm experiencing. When I'm alttabbing this process resets. I can record a video how it actually happens.
Sorry for my bad explanation and english but I think you get the point.

I changed my ISP; ethernet cable; router; the extension cord router connected to; ethernet cable that goes from my router into my PC (bought STPF-8 max shielded cable - didn't help).
Last edited by Wayzer on 14 Aug 2022, 10:38, edited 2 times in total.

Wayzer

Post by Wayzer » 14 Aug 2022, 10:28

Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
It happens in a client-sided game, which is close to an offline game where all actions, hitreg, etc happen on the client then the info get's sent to the server.
Yep, true. It definitely correlates between how many packets you send - how much input lag you're getting. From what I've tested the packets youre getting has nothing to do with that. Only matters is how much you're sending