Attaining the best performance and latency with Oculus/Meta Quest 2 with PCVR?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Espionage724

Attaining the best performance and latency with Oculus/Meta Quest 2 with PCVR?

Post by Espionage724 » 19 Aug 2022, 08:46

I'm looking to gather up advice on improving VR performance in-general and with the Oculus runtime, and getting the lowest latencies along the encode/decode and transfer (Link cable/wifi) paths.

I'm mostly interested in Oculus's Rift software. I don't believe Virtual Desktop offers anything different than Oculus in-terms of performance and latency, but if anyone knows otherwise I'd like to hear it. I'm interested in tips for ALVR as well, but I don't believe it can reach ideal latencies until they implement sliced encoding.

One tip that others might find interesting is that Air Link defaults to H.264/AVC, but can be forced to HEVC. On NVIDIA, this seems more ideal and it's lower-latency. This command does that by adding a registry entry (you need to restart the Oculus service afterwards):

Code: Select all

reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Oculus\RemoteHeadset" /v "HEVC" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
Using HEVC prevents wired Link from working, presumably because HEVC isn't implemented there by Oculus. It's also possible AMD GPUs will either not be ideal on HEVC or outright crash display drivers. To undo the above and return to H.264/AVC (also requires Oculus service restart):

Code: Select all

reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Oculus\RemoteHeadset" /v "HEVC" /f