Input lag issue. Creating this thread to keep you guys updated.

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
TheKelz

Re: Input lag issue. Creating this thread to keep you guys updated.

Post by TheKelz » 02 Sep 2022, 12:49

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 18:40
2Victory wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 18:32
What USB ports were you using to test? (2.0, 3.0, 3.1 or 3.1 Gen 2), and which one felt the best? (USB 2.0 Generally feels the most responsive.)
Don't forget bus congestion. Sometimes a PCIe USB card works better to allow you to dedicate your high-Hz keyboard & mouse on separate USB chips, since many people plug too much stuff on motherboard USB ports which is often behaving like a USB hub. Also, USB3 isn't that bad -- it's often the driver. Try switching between, say, the Microsoft driver and the motherboard driver or mouse manufacturer driver, sometimes the Microsoft USB HID driver is sometimes all you need and performs with less overhead -- where USB3 and USB2 feels the same with, say a Razer 8KHz mouse or similar.

And sometimes, you need to do weird things like uninstall the Realtek driver and use the Microsoft driver for the onboard audio -- sometimes the sound driver jitters around a high-Hz mouse more than it should -- there's a lot of weird sheninigians going on with different motherboards. A few users got major mouse improvements after playing USB roulette, so you are right about the USB advice.
2Victory wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 18:32
And if nothing prior to this produced any results,
Try Ryzen.
While Ryzen is pretty good in some things, it comes with its tradeoffs. Intel historically has less latencies (if you avoid the side problems like USB and Realtek etc mentioned above), but one can tweak a Ryzen system to behave better latency-wise. I've seen situations go both ways (AMD outperforming Intel, and Intel outperforming AMD) -- it just requires very different optimization tips that are sometimes CPU-specific and motherboard-specific.

Note: You'll see a wide variety of tweakers here doing all kinds of crazy stuff. Some form members go as far as to tweak the core-enabling/disabling for games / thread affinity tricks. There is a lot of inter-core lag on many-core CPUs so sometimes disabling half the cores reduces inter-core latencies dramatically, e.g. playing CS:GO on say, a 32-core CPU may feel better if you nerf it to 8-core or 6-core -- this goes with both Intel and AMD -- especially if the dies for half of the cores are distant from each other. Another tip is thread-affinity to keep the game only communicating on the lowest-lag cores, but the drivers might try to run on the distant cores, increasing inter-core latencies. These are only tiny latencies, but as they say they build up -- death by a million nanoseconds is still a millisecond. A single driver event that executes lots of back-and-fourth intercore operations, may mean a single mouse poll might take 2x the CPU, or 2x the overhead for a single draw operation -- weird slowdowns in unoptimized stuff. The clumped latencies that builds up can be a problem in the refresh rate race. Much placebo, but much real stuff. Proceed at own risk.
Yeah those tweaks are also really weird and not worth looking into, because I'm sure it's not the case here. I've been building PCs and gaming since like 2007 and never ever before did I need to tinker with any drivers or Windows settings before. It all started unexpectedly in 2018 and I've changed like 3 PCs since them, all having the same issue. Been through Asrock, Gigabyte, MSI and ASUS boards, so I think Realtek drivers and all this stuff shouldn't be consistently affecting my PC the same way between so many different components and even chipset versions.

I know I may sound annoying at this point by turning down all the tweaks, but I can pretty much guarantee you I have evidence that this is not coming from all this stuff. It's external, as my iMac has this very same issue.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Input lag issue. Creating this thread to keep you guys updated.

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Sep 2022, 19:24

Electricity related talk has been moved to this thread in the other forum.

Electricity-related lag talk is generally normally not allowed in this subforum, because of this.

If this was a confirmed electricity issue, this whole thread can be moved upon request of OP, but I am not yet convinced it's a definite electricity issue -- sometimes it's a concurrently different issue -- and commonly causes misdiagnosis and wasted time.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!