Input lag issue. Creating this thread to keep you guys updated.

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
TheKelz

Input lag issue. Creating this thread to keep you guys updated.

Post by TheKelz » 20 Aug 2022, 03:48

So hey guys, I'm a victim of this issue as well (more explanation below). As the title says, I'm just creating this thread to keep you guys updated and let you know once (or IF) I'll be able to get rid of this input lag/stutter/mouse like on ice issue.

So here's the small story. This all started in 2018, when I first time ever got a pretty "high end" rig (at least for me, before I had old LGA775 systems, which didn't have those issues, mind you). It was a DDR3 system with i7 4790K,16GB of RAM and GTX 1060 3GB. Sure, nothing special with DDR4 systems around, but for me it was big. Everything looked fine until I finally started realizing that it's not me being older or something that makes me lose in competitive games, it's my rig. More and more I started noticing that when I first open the game, first 2 minutes are very fast and smooth, but then slowly yet suddenly, my mouse is getting slower, feels like it is sliding on ice and all inputs from keyboard to mouse become delayed, I start getting some strange microstutters and hitreg is very delayed and close to non-existent. This is where I realized my skill is good, because those first 2 minutes is where I absolutely wreck through everyone with no effort, but then I'm declining quickly.

Fast forward to today, this is what I've tried:
1. I moved to a different place, no change
2. Tried all Windows tweaks possible, but the same thing happens NOT only in games, but in Windows or even BIOS
3. Different monitors (from 60hz to 75hz to 144hz)
4. Different PCs. First it was my DDR3 system then DDR4 and then another DDR4
5. Different peripherals (mouse, keyboard, even speakers to see if my speakers are creating this issue)
6. Different ethernet cables (or no cables at all, same issue when I'm offline)
7. Different routers
8. Different ISP
9. Many BIOS tweaks, XMP or no XMP, tweaking RAM timings and sub timings, OC'ing or downlocking CPU, same with GPU
10. You name it

My system right now is:
i9 10850k stock
Asus Rog Maximus XII Hero
G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz 16CL
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra
Corsair RM750 PSU
Samsung 870 Evo Plus 1TB
Windows 10 22h2

02/15/2022 EDIT: I'm still working on it, just had to slow down because of some issues.
Last edited by TheKelz on 15 Feb 2023, 04:12, edited 4 times in total.

f1ndus

Re: Input lag issue. Creating this thread to keep you guys updated.

Post by f1ndus » 20 Aug 2022, 06:33

take care bro, same issue.. on other places still no change even with new setups

Headglitch123

Post by Headglitch123 » 20 Aug 2022, 07:33

TheKelz wrote:
20 Aug 2022, 03:48
So hey guys, I'm a victim of this issue as well (more explanation below). As the title says, I'm just creating this thread to keep you guys updated and let you know once (or IF) I'll be able to get rid of this input lag/stutter/mouse like on ice issue.

So here's the small story. This all started in 2018, when I first time ever got a pretty "high end" rig (at least for me, before I had old LGA775 systems, which didn't have those issues, mind you). It was a DDR3 system with i7 4790K,16GB of RAM and GTX 1060 3GB. Sure, nothing special with DDR4 systems around, but for me it was big. Everything looked fine until I finally started realizing that it's not me being older or something that makes me lose in competitive games, it's my rig. More and more I started noticing that when I first open the game, first 2 minutes are very fast and smooth, but then slowly yet suddenly, my mouse is getting slower, feels like it is sliding on ice and all inputs from keyboard to mouse become delayed, I start getting some strange microstutters and hitreg is very delayed and close to non-existent. This is where I realized my skill is good, because those first 2 minutes is where I absolutely wreck through everyone with no effort, but then I'm declining quickly.

2. Tried all Windows tweaks possible, but the same thing happens NOT only in games, but in Windows or even BIOS, so please, don't tell me to try Vsync and other stuff, it's not helping
5. Different peripherals (mouse, keyboard, even speakers to see if my speakers are creating this issue)
7. Different routers
8. Different ISP
9. Many BIOS tweaks, XMP or no XMP, tweaking RAM timings and sub timings, OC'ing or downlocking CPU, same with GPU
10. You name it

My system right now is:
i9 10850k stock, no OC
MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro Dual Channel 32GB 3600CL18 (tried OC to CL16, no change)
Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 XT
Corsair RM750 PSU
All new Sata Samsung SSDs (all 100% healthy)
Windows 10 21h2

So, right now I'm planning to bring this PC to a place where I used to work at and build PCs and I remember none of them would have any input lag issues. I'm doing this to test if my PC will do the same with their electricity, and if yes, they have spare parts I can test my PC with and troubleshoot. So if anyone is as determined to fix this seemingly unfixable crap as me, you can follow this thread because I will keep this post updated. I really want to get done with this and also help you guys, so lets see if I'll be able to find the fix.
Tried https://1.1.1.1/ ??

delve

Post by delve » 20 Aug 2022, 07:45

You ever-lagging guys should try 15+ year old hardware with win xp for fun, see if it does anything.

TheKelz

Post by TheKelz » 20 Aug 2022, 08:59

f1ndus wrote:
20 Aug 2022, 06:33
take care bro, same issue.. on other places still no change even with new setups
Same man, this is the worst issue that could ever exist.
Headglitch123 wrote:
20 Aug 2022, 07:33
TheKelz wrote:

2. Tried all Windows tweaks possible, but the same thing happens NOT only in games, but in Windows or even BIOS, so please, don't tell me to try Vsync and other stuff, it's not helping
7. Different routers
8. Different ISP
10. You name it

My system right now is:
i9 10850k stock, no OC
MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro Dual Channel 32GB 3600CL18 (tried OC to CL16, no change)
Corsair RM750 PSU
Windows 10 21h2

So, right now I'm planning to bring this PC to a place where I used to work at and build PCs and I remember none of them would have any input lag issues. I'm doing this to test if my PC will do the same with their electricity, and if yes, they have spare parts I can test my PC with and troubleshoot. So if anyone is as determined to fix this seemingly unfixable crap as me, you can follow this thread because I will keep this post updated. I really want to get done with this and also help you guys, so lets see if I'll be able to find the fix.
What is that and how can it help?
delve wrote:
20 Aug 2022, 07:45
You ever-lagging guys should try 15+ year old hardware with win xp for fun, see if it does anything.
Mind explaining what do you mean?

Headglitch123

Post by Headglitch123 » 20 Aug 2022, 09:45

TheKelz wrote:
20 Aug 2022, 08:59
f1ndus wrote:
20 Aug 2022, 06:33
Same man, this is the worst issue that could ever exist.
Headglitch123 wrote:
20 Aug 2022, 07:33
TheKelz wrote:

7. Different routers
8. Different ISP
10. You name it

My system right now is:
i9 10850k stock, no OC
MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus
Corsair RM750 PSU
Windows 10 21h2

What is that and how can it help?
delve wrote:
20 Aug 2022, 07:45
Mind explaining what do you mean?
Nvm that, just readed that it happens in offline too. Could've helped if u didn't had these issues in offline

MontyTheAverage

Post by MontyTheAverage » 20 Aug 2022, 18:19

Good luck bro. The problem you described is EXACTLY as mine so whatever fixes yours should fix mine aslo. First 2-5 mins or the first game everything pretty great then it gets worse and worse. And I have had it for almost 2 years now and basically tired so many things already.

TheKelz

Post by TheKelz » 21 Aug 2022, 08:23

MontyTheAverage wrote:
20 Aug 2022, 18:19
Good luck bro. The problem you described is EXACTLY as mine so whatever fixes yours should fix mine aslo. First 2-5 mins or the first game everything pretty great then it gets worse and worse. And I have had it for almost 2 years now and basically tired so many things already.
Yep, I can understand. Just came home, sold my 6600 XT, gonna buy an Nvidia card now. I'm using an iGPU right now and basically the same is happening, mouse gets slow and then fast and then slow again, but still, will use Nvidia cards from now on and troubleshoot from there.

heavywe

Post by heavywe » 21 Aug 2022, 11:20

He did 2 things. Disable turbo boost and apart I did this, and my game improved by 90%

https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensiv ... t_lag_fix/

TheKelz

Post by TheKelz » 21 Aug 2022, 12:12

heavywe wrote:
21 Aug 2022, 11:20
He did 2 things. Disable turbo boost and apart I did this, and my game improved by 90%

https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensiv ... t_lag_fix/
Thanks for the suggestions, but that didn't help me unfortunately. Already tried once again several days ago, no change.