Network buffering, inconsistent netcode, Valorant

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
n1zoo

Re: Network buffering, inconsistent netcode, Valorant

Post by n1zoo » 03 Mar 2023, 12:38

Something is wrong with valorant in general. In ranked matches, the mouse feels like you're swiping through sandpaper. Mouse feels a little better in unranked matches. This game is getting unplayable.

blackmagic

Post by blackmagic » 06 Mar 2023, 18:28

in these days it must be possible that atleast online gaming over internet must having same condition for all...
but all this people just don't care about that...

developers are big part of all this problem. which just ignore all the players and there suffer with input lag and hitreg...which clearly is NOT just a PLACEBO and not a DELUSIONAL problem...

the second are the ISP...which do the same like the game developers...ignore...and ignore...

there players out there still posting clips on reddit where 100% headshots are count not as headshots...and where 100% damage are not count as 100% damage...

and where players that 100% peek as first and open fire as first on the enemy...
are still getting rekt in 90% of these first peeks and open fire...
but only if the input lag and hitreg kicks in and takes away your peek advantage in that match. :lol:

that the summary and stats and reality of many players in online gaming each day and 24/7.

sadly this players getting no help at the end of every posted bad hitreg clip and the community people of that online game just trolling these players and laugh at them...

and many of this players will never be in the top 100 or even top 100000.

all cause of developers and isp's...these are who really to blame for all the INPUT LAG TOPICS.
no one else...

but soon they bring another PATCH which 100% will fix everything and for everyone and it will be precise fairplay gunplay again. :lol:

i really hope there exist HELL for this people.

dannyoceanic

Post by dannyoceanic » 09 Mar 2023, 21:28

n1zoo wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 12:38
Something is wrong with valorant in general. In ranked matches, the mouse feels like you're swiping through sandpaper. Mouse feels a little better in unranked matches. This game is getting unplayable.
I agree with you a 100% here.
I got a great system and my ping is mostly 10 on the nearest servers. No packet loss what so ever and I have these instances were the game server must be lagging and bullets just don't register. It was more playable in beta as it is now.

The sad thing though is that riot doesn't even bet an eye on this issue. And if you post about it on Reddit , bc the official valorant forum is a joke, they always laugh it off as either being on client side due to internet issues or just lack of skill.

I hope that someone will find a fix for this, so that everyone has a fair fight and not some luck on who the server is responding more stable to.

13n47

Post by 13n47 » 04 Aug 2023, 15:48

After a long time, I created an alt account on Valorant. It's ridiculous how smooth the gameplay is at low rank lobbies. You can just feel how smoothly all agents move on your screen and how fast bullets register. I have noticed this behavior in the past as well, but I didn't think much of it then. But now after having experienced this multiple times, I'm certain all desync/hit reg problems in this game come from poor servers. The only conclusions I can make from low rank lobbies is that 1) these players usually have worse hardware with some not even hitting 128 fps(to send 128 ticks to the server), which puts less strain on the server 2) anti cheat is not using as many resources in these lobbies

I can count on my fingers how many times I have felt such great gameplay on my main account these past 3 years the game has been out. On new accounts the game is so smooth roughly 7/10 times. It's actually insane.

Other people have also noticed this in the past
https://www.reddit.com/r/VALORANT/comme ... r_account/
https://www.reddit.com/r/ValorantTechSu ... _accounts/
https://www.reddit.com/r/VALORANT/comme ... e_account/

But I can't put my finger on the exact issue. If servers or anti cheat were to blame, why can manipulating latency at times make the gameplay smooth again. Riot really fucked up somewhere in their spaghetti netcode and can't find the problem.

Edit: I also like to add that it's not just new account specific. The game feels smoother on unrated servers much more often than on competitive.
Last edited by 13n47 on 07 Aug 2023, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.

InputLagger

Post by InputLagger » 06 Aug 2023, 01:13

https://www.reddit.com/r/VALORANT/comme ... s/gyf1dxs/
I have 3 accounts 1 back from 2012, 2019, 2020. The 2012 one is a complete different game the game sound is different and mouse sens feel different and shows what other people have mentioned here the ingame sounds like HRTF but 3x really muffled and as if someone bass boosted the steps. I can switch between all 3 without a question and my 2012 its quieter n no its not a sound (HRTF off/on) settings difference all accounts have exactly the same settings. Try changing the buffering back and forth when you get those games where nothing is hitting, you know ur desyncd when you see players animations skipping around as if they are spamming ADADAD, and all you enemies seem to have insane reaction time you both saw each other maybe u even shot 1st but the report shows that you only hit 1 and he already has 4 bullets in you, if your game just before was fine with no desync try going to max buffering apply it then back to game then put it back to minimum apply and back to game, the desync should be either fixed or lessened to a point where you wont feel like the games actually against you and get instamelted..... its weird how without a fault every first match the games hitreg feels insane no1 ferrari peeks you, you can react to enemies without issues, after that not so much.
Haha, just as my experience, I'm also have accounts from 200* year

Valorant Fix the "Run and Gun", Main Lagging issue
https://www.reddit.com/r/VALORANT/comme ... ing_issue/

dermodemon

Post by dermodemon » 10 Aug 2023, 14:52

Can somebody help me with openwrt? how can i fix desync issues with Netem in OpenWRT?

delve

Post by delve » 10 Aug 2023, 17:52

You can't, dozens have tried before you, fq_codel, layercake or what is it called, this fixed my bufferbloat problem, but desync wise it made no no difference, some settings evem feel a little worse, but this could be whatever again. Also you need strong hardware inside the router to be able to handle a fast internet connection.

dermodemon

Post by dermodemon » 11 Aug 2023, 10:52

delve wrote:
10 Aug 2023, 17:52
You can't, dozens have tried before you, fq_codel, layercake or what is it called, this fixed my bufferbloat problem, but desync wise it made no no difference, some settings evem feel a little worse, but this could be whatever again. Also you need strong hardware inside the router to be able to handle a fast internet connection.
I can add some delay with Netem in openwrt. But how to set it right - that's the question :)

13n47

Post by 13n47 » 12 Aug 2023, 14:22

The main reason for these issues is either too little or too much lag compensation on the server side(atleast on Valorant).

When lag compensation is set too high, the server tries to predict player movements based on outdated information, leading to exaggerated and fast movements on the client's side. This can make players seem to teleport or move erratically, especially when they perform quick actions like peeking around corners or strafing. Players with higher latencies may benefit from this excessive compensation, as their actions might be interpreted as even faster on the server side than they actually are, giving them an unintended advantage. On the other hand, players with lower latencies might have difficulty predicting and aiming at these fast-moving targets. This will make you feel like you have desync.

When lag compensation is too low, it means that the game server is not compensating enough for the latency between players' actions and the server's response. Players will experience noticeable delays between their actions (such as firing a weapon, moving, or using abilities) and the game's response. This will make you feel like you have input lag.

More often than not, for me the lag compensation is too high. More people need to report this to Riot, maybe they will do something about it(but probably not, it's been 3 years since the game has been out :/). It's not related to buffering as I initially thought, it's all about the good ol' lag comp.

This is why at times I have been able to fix the smoothness of my game by manipulating with latency or changing the network buffering setting.

The lag compensation algo is out of player control, besides manipulating with ping. Good luck brothers and sisters.

KingAzar

Post by KingAzar » 13 Aug 2023, 00:11

I let these two videos speaking for itself

Peeking issue: https://streamable.com/f0on7q
Basically, here the guy holding is seeing the other player in movement at equal distance first

Holding issue: https://streamable.com/dki5yf