Our favorite DWM

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
BTRY B 529th FA BN

Re: Our favorite DWM

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 28 Sep 2022, 20:03

@Chief

Yup sometimes a "tweak" can be counter-productive and hurt the goal to lower latency.

There is some reg tweak CoalescingTimerInterval I think you're talking about

The weird thing about those different calls is my Timeframes were relatively the same with HPET vs ITSC

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Sep 2022, 15:13

BTRY B 529th FA BN wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 20:03
@Chief

Yup sometimes a "tweak" can be counter-productive and hurt the goal to lower latency.

There is some reg tweak CoalescingTimerInterval I think you're talking about

The weird thing about those different calls is my Timeframes were relatively the same with HPET vs ITSC
Properly done, there's no difference if you distribute those microsecond interruptions evenly.

It's a lot of buggy drivers/OS with the conditions -- where you've got a converging situation, e.g. doing the timer events in a kernel driver and bøЯk3d it in a way to cause self-DDoS via storm of bunched timer events for consecutive starving of Ring 3 code execution (your coding + apps) for long enough to generate human-visible effects.

In that condition, major differences in performance of timer/DPC/etc processing in buggy drivers, that create self-DDoS-ing "event storms" can be key in fluidity of Ring 3 code execution for blocking driver events. Those kinda things that cause mouse-softcursor stutters (e.g. app-drawn mouse cursors instead of the windows hardware mouse cursor sprite or a Ring 0/1 graphicsdriver-drawn cursor) = also visible as pan stutters, mouseturn stutters, and scroll stutters.

So many dominoe effects that accidentally occur from sloppy temporal hygeine. Which didn't matter less at 60Hz but matters a chasm more at 500Hz and beyond.

I wish all coders were perfect (especially authors of kernel driver), but alas, it is not what it is...
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

AndreyRGW

Post by AndreyRGW » 01 Oct 2022, 07:35

espresso wrote:
25 Sep 2022, 11:29
AndreyRGW wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 15:32
Hi all,

I decided to do one test on Windows 11.
Timerbench with and without DWM. The results are interesting.

What do you think?
How do you "turn off" DWM?
Using this script - https://github.com/Ingan121/DWMKiller