Kernel timer latency?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
mybad

Re: Kernel timer latency?

Post by mybad » 03 Oct 2022, 16:48

Bad idea, Valve AntiCheat, will not be happy, highly do not recommend.

Vocaleyes

Post by Vocaleyes » 06 Oct 2022, 00:50

I’m not even sure what to say to that.

mybad

Post by mybad » 06 Oct 2022, 03:20

But, you can make an injector like RealNC recommended, after that, you will receive a valve ban record in your account.
I hope after vac record you will find words ;)

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 06 Oct 2022, 08:10

mybad wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 03:20
But, you can make an injector like RealNC recommended, after that, you will receive a valve ban record in your account.
I hope after vac record you will find words ;)
The OP didn't mention online games. You need some common sense and don't use injectors in that case. People use injectors all the time for non-online games (dgvoodoo, reshade, mouse fixes, etc.) This is nothing new.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Vocaleyes

Post by Vocaleyes » 14 Oct 2022, 02:54

So I've now observed a different behaviour and just wanted to see if it was nothing to worry about or indicative of bios being a factor.
When running latencymon the timer decreases when DPC latency checker is open, but while latencymon is running and I apply bios changes through scewin grub, there is a consistent substantial spike when changes are applying.

This same spike also occurs while DPC latency checker is running, which then drops back within range after changes applied.

Here's a quick video - https://youtu.be/_aDqW58fQfk

I'd like to point out that the value I changed in the video (HPET) is irrelevant, happens with others too.

Vocaleyes

Post by Vocaleyes » 14 Oct 2022, 04:51

Aaaaaaand also why Halo infinite is literally unplayable. Can't play due to spikes, audio drops/ pops but most importantly are the ghost key presses. Frequently while strafing, the player movement will act as if the last key press is still held. So will end up strafing forward, down, left or right with no keys being pressed at all.

https://youtu.be/mrURVtYn7Hw

Here is another video comparing apex legends vs halo infinite. While the timer still isn't correct, it's stable at least. Halo is on a different level. tested using borderless as halo doesn't have a fse option, so wanted to rule out both types.

https://youtu.be/7RxQE1JEJcI

Vocaleyes

Post by Vocaleyes » 22 Nov 2022, 12:47

So it's been a while, but I have some substantial news.

Have now got a confirmed report of this issue being location based.
I am not speculating as to what is causing this as of yet, but this narrows it down quite a lot.

The process involved a team, all using the same work laptops exchanging their laptops and testing in each of their own home locations.

A majority of the locations showed the same as you see in the screenshot, high kernel latency. But a few of them have locations which regardless of which laptop is swapped in for testing, shows a correctly functioning (low latency) kernel timer.

As I said, all the same make and model laptops, when tested in the work environment all show high kernel latency, when used in the good location, resolves the timer.

This now confirms 100% that this particular issue is location dependant.

Slender

Post by Slender » 11 Apr 2023, 20:54

Vocaleyes wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 12:47
So it's been a while, but I have some substantial news.

Have now got a confirmed report of this issue being location based.
I am not speculating as to what is causing this as of yet, but this narrows it down quite a lot.

The process involved a team, all using the same work laptops exchanging their laptops and testing in each of their own home locations.

A majority of the locations showed the same as you see in the screenshot, high kernel latency. But a few of them have locations which regardless of which laptop is swapped in for testing, shows a correctly functioning (low latency) kernel timer.

As I said, all the same make and model laptops, when tested in the work environment all show high kernel latency, when used in the good location, resolves the timer.

This now confirms 100% that this particular issue is location dependant.
are you sure?

Vocaleyes

Post by Vocaleyes » 12 Apr 2023, 09:13

With regards to the timer being erratic depending on location is where I left it, as my focus shifted back towards my primary objective which is the drifting cursor.

I’ll put out an email to the dev team I was previously in contact with when doing testing and see if their usual workload has eased off a bit for any new information.

deama

Post by deama » 13 Apr 2023, 15:14

Weird stuff, I normally get 12k+ on latencyMon, when I keep DPC checker on, it goes down to 500, and when I have ISCL intelligent list standby cleaner on at the same time, it hovers between 25-50 sometimes spiking to 500.

Can't quite explain it, but I think my mouse somehow feels better? I'll do some latency measurements using my 1k fps camera and see how that goes tomorrow.