Interlaced resolution

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Maucasoli

Interlaced resolution

Post by Maucasoli » 24 Sep 2022, 13:06

Hello,

I have a generic 144 hz monitor and a generic DP cable. With progressive res. I feel my mouse a bit floaty. Today I created an interlaced res. with CRU and surprisingly my mouse felt more responsive at the cost of image quality.

Does interlaced resolution really decrease input lag?

Can the problem be my DP cable? If a buy an expensive cable do you think it will improve responsiveness?

Mr1991

Re: Interlaced resolution

Post by Mr1991 » 26 Sep 2022, 15:50

Last time I heard HDMI is potentially lower input lag than Display port, but next to nothing

Shorter, thicker/shielded cables are generally considered best

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Interlaced resolution

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Sep 2022, 19:56

More concern is the display profiles and display transceivers inside the monitor -- for example latency settings and picture settings are different for HDMI vs DP. So that can be the bigger lag difference.

An example is the XL2411P might have the "Instant Mode" setting enabled on one port but not the other port. Even mere differences in overdrive and HDR/color processing settings can create a bigger lag differential -- processing overheads are often bigger than the HDMI-vs-DP difference. So check the settings of the display profile assigned to the specific video input.

While there's a sub-millisecond lag difference between HDMI and DP, sometimes it's easy to target the wrong tree in the lag forest...
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!