I fixed my Desync/input Lag/Hitreg in CSGO

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
delve

Re: I fixed my Desync/input Lag/Hitreg in CSGO

Post by delve » 17 Dec 2022, 00:22

Just want to let you guys know, I switched from Adsl to FTTH in the same location and the desync is still present, but maybe 30% less severe, still not worth bothering. Propably no big surprise to anyone here.

sukaa

Post by sukaa » 21 Dec 2022, 06:36

So I’m not alone and I’m not crazy. That’s good to know. Wish I didn’t blow so much money on new pcs/components. Oh well, guess we’re all just SOL. I love being called trash in games because of this bs.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » 22 Dec 2022, 15:54

Have someone tested SpaceX Starlink to solve this problem?

simon

Post by simon » 25 Dec 2022, 18:20

Hello everyone.

What I am reading here describes exactly my experience in another game. I know this is about CS here, but I believe it goes beyond that game and happens in many if not all fps games.

I've been playing the same game for over 15 years and I've become very aware of these crazy changes that happen randomly, after tweaks, after moving etc

The misery: recoil is completely out of place, the dumbest of enemies outsmart me, prefire on corners, move faster than I could possibly aim, disappear, the game looks pixellated or just bad when looking around, moving/strafing feels like stuck in a swamp. Bottom line: it makes you feel like there is something wrong with you.

The pleasure: opposite of all of the above, too much to write down.

The game I am talking about is BF42. But it doesn't really matter at this point. I know in CS there are exactly the same problems, even though BF42 is ancient in comparison.

Out of many temporary fixes (e.g changing settings, reinstalling, freezing the game for a few secs) There is only one thing that almost always works if I want good hitregs and that is keeping the game open for 35 minutes and then joining a server. Idk if this is of any help to ppl here. But it only lasts for about 15 minutes tops, from there on, the usual begins.
It's almost scary as if there is something learning or memorizing the changes that make the game better/crisp and the more you do it, the less it works until it doesn't work at all.

Sometimes you can feel the game is going to be shitty just by moving your mouse on windows desktop or doing other stuff. It just feels something is wrong in windows itself.

Anyway, I believe there is something more universal to this than just one game and also I know for a fact that many many players just can't put this to words or don't find anyone who could understand this problem.

MontyTheAverage

Post by MontyTheAverage » 26 Dec 2022, 06:28

simon wrote:
25 Dec 2022, 18:20
Hello everyone.

What I am reading here describes exactly my experience in another game. I know this is about CS here, but I believe it goes beyond that game and happens in many if not all fps games.

I've been playing the same game for over 15 years and I've become very aware of these crazy changes that happen randomly, after tweaks, after moving etc

The misery: recoil is completely out of place, the dumbest of enemies outsmart me, prefire on corners, move faster than I could possibly aim, disappear, the game looks pixellated or just bad when looking around, moving/strafing feels like stuck in a swamp. Bottom line: it makes you feel like there is something wrong with you.

The pleasure: opposite of all of the above, too much to write down.

The game I am talking about is BF42. But it doesn't really matter at this point. I know in CS there are exactly the same problems, even though BF42 is ancient in comparison.

Out of many temporary fixes (e.g changing settings, reinstalling, freezing the game for a few secs) There is only one thing that almost always works if I want good hitregs and that is keeping the game open for 35 minutes and then joining a server. Idk if this is of any help to ppl here. But it only lasts for about 15 minutes tops, from there on, the usual begins.
It's almost scary as if there is something learning or memorizing the changes that make the game better/crisp and the more you do it, the less it works until it doesn't work at all.

Sometimes you can feel the game is going to be shitty just by moving your mouse on windows desktop or doing other stuff. It just feels something is wrong in windows itself.

Anyway, I believe there is something more universal to this than just one game and also I know for a fact that many many players just can't put this to words or don't find anyone who could understand this problem.
What is BF42. Only thing pops up is Battlefield 2042. And yes it's not just one game. And go in the "Rare/Electrical Issues Affecting Latency — Interference, EMI, EMF". More people including me will describe exact same issues as you in most online games.

D3scendent

Post by D3scendent » 11 Jan 2023, 05:28

Hey guys, long time CS UK player here. Stumbled upon this post and signed up to this forum just to share my thoughts/findings from over the years.
History: I've played CS since 1.6 been obsessed since. I was an admin on a Pub server in CS:Source and now have over 2k hrs in CS:GO. I used to be a stable DMG but now constantly float around GN4-MG2.

First off, I have exactly the same symptoms as others have mentioned, especially the Swiss guy. I have 900MBs FTTH (foolishly believing it'd help my CS game). I playe wired. My loss and choke are always 0% with very little Var. My hit detection in warmup is usually on point winning easily most 1v1s but early on in the match something changes. The same guy is was dominating in warmup and early rounds is now prefiring me constantly, my spray patterns are bizarre and enemies i do manage to kill, die half a second after I've released the mouse button. Also, as the swiss guy mentioned, my latency increases by around 10 and have long suspected this is due to some kind of ISP traffic shaping.

I have tried everything on the internet to try and fix this. None have worked so far:
- invested heavily in my gaming set up (top end mobo, replaced Razer peripherals with non-bloatware brands)
- ultra fast expensive internet connection
- Every CPU BIOS tweak
- Adjust game settings/using Pro configs
- HPET disabling/enabling
- Realtek Audio driver removal
- so many Windows tweaks

As for Windows tweaks (power plans, registry changes, CSGO priority, background processes etc.), I can safely rule all these out as 'Snake Oil' fixes as I've even installed and CS:GO on Linux on a separate SSD and sure enough, first few games were great but then the usual BS started.

Now for some interesting stuff that is tied into networking:
This problem has been around for years and affects loads of games don't let anyone tell you 'this wasnt in CS source' because it definitely was... except there were some 'workarounds' back then. In cs: source you could adjust: cl_cmdrate, cl_updaterate and rate.
I noticed by setting cmd and updaterate values really low (say 10) you could get a weird timing advantage in loads of servers and you would quickly get accused of cheating. CS:GO has made it so the MM serves auto adjust these 2 commands but 'rate' can still be changed.
Which leads me to my next finding:
I mentioned my connection is 900MBs so my recommended rate should be set to 786432. However, if i play with this rate its almost as if anyone and everyone can kill me by shooting in my general direction. The screen doesnt even flash red when i get shot several times... just see someone and dead. Rinse and repeat.
I have found that this whole desync problem can be partially alleviated by setting my rate to 40000 in MM and 60000 in Deathmatch (40k in DM creates too much choke). I haven't found anyone else talking about this on the internet but its definitely worth trying for yourself.

Other findings:
- This problem is ALWAYS present when playing against Russians, usually on EU North servers. Having my rate set to anything other than 40000 results in constant insta-deaths. I genuinely think Russla has some sort of traffic shaping going on (probably due to censorship) that gives a timing advantage in CS:GO.

- Changing your resolution mid game or Alt-Tabbing also seems to help with the problem. Its almost like the connection is 'reset' in someway.

-Pistols seem to be notoriously bad when this 'bug' happens with hardly any shots registering even on stationary targets.

In my opinion it is 100% network related and as someone mentioned earlier I already started to suspect its due to ISP QoS or traffic shaping. There is something in the UK that ISP's do called 'interleaving', apparently it adds to you ping. It can be disabled on ADSL but not on fibre lines.
My advice: do not invest in expensive fast broadband as a) the problem is still there and b) these god like Russians are most definitely not playing on wired fibre connections.
I am honestly considering looking at this Starlink internet as I think all UK ISPs apply this traffic shaping/interleaving.
Today, I am also going to try standing still in warmup and see if there is any handicapping shenanigans going on.

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 11 Jan 2023, 19:51

D3scendent wrote:
11 Jan 2023, 05:28
I have found that this whole desync problem can be partially alleviated by setting my rate to 40000 in MM and 60000 in Deathmatch (40k in DM creates too much choke). I haven't found anyone else talking about this on the internet but its definitely worth trying for yourself.

Other findings:
- This problem is ALWAYS present when playing against Russians, usually on EU North servers. Having my rate set to anything other than 40000 results in constant insta-deaths. I genuinely think Russla has some sort of traffic shaping going on (probably due to censorship) that gives a timing advantage in CS:GO.

- Changing your resolution mid game or Alt-Tabbing also seems to help with the problem. Its almost like the connection is 'reset' in someway.

-Pistols seem to be notoriously bad when this 'bug' happens with hardly any shots registering even on stationary targets.

In my opinion it is 100% network related and as someone mentioned earlier I already started to suspect its due to ISP QoS or traffic shaping. There is something in the UK that ISP's do called 'interleaving', apparently it adds to you ping. It can be disabled on ADSL but not on fibre lines.
My advice: do not invest in expensive fast broadband as a) the problem is still there and b) these god like Russians are most definitely not playing on wired fibre connections.
I am honestly considering looking at this Starlink internet as I think all UK ISPs apply this traffic shaping/interleaving.
Today, I am also going to try standing still in warmup and see if there is any handicapping shenanigans going on.
Try the 4MBs setting, it's around 500000 rate. I also noticed problems using the highest rate, like it would cause more delay when clicking and other players could easily hit me as if I was the server, but my shots were always delayed. Setting to the 500k rate helped with this issue. Another thing, high pingers do have an advantage where it makes them more difficult to hit. The best solution I've found is using the fastest weapons with extra ammo, this can cut through the lag and force the high pinger to actually suffer some disadvantage.

Mentucius

Post by Mentucius » 12 Jan 2023, 04:42

D3scendent wrote:
Hey guys, long time CS UK player here. Stumbled upon this post and signed up to this forum just to share my thoughts/findings from over the years.
History: I've played CS since 1.6 been obsessed since. I was an admin on a Pub server in CS:Source and now have over 2k hrs in CS:GO. I used to be a stable DMG but now constantly float around GN4-MG2.

First off, I have exactly the same symptoms as others have mentioned, especially the Swiss guy. I have 900MBs FTTH (foolishly believing it'd help my CS game). I playe wired. My loss and choke are always 0% with very little Var. My hit detection in warmup is usually on point winning easily most 1v1s but early on in the match something changes. The same guy is was dominating in warmup and early rounds is now prefiring me constantly, my spray patterns are bizarre and enemies i do manage to kill, die half a second after I've released the mouse button. Also, as the swiss guy mentioned, my latency increases by around 10 and have long suspected this is due to some kind of ISP traffic shaping.

I have tried everything on the internet to try and fix this. None have worked so far:
- invested heavily in my gaming set up (top end mobo, replaced Razer peripherals with non-bloatware brands)
- ultra fast expensive internet connection
- Every CPU BIOS tweak
- Adjust game settings/using Pro configs
- HPET disabling/enabling
- Realtek Audio driver removal
- so many Windows tweaks

As for Windows tweaks (power plans, registry changes, CSGO priority, background processes etc.), I can safely rule all these out as 'Snake Oil' fixes as I've even installed and CS:GO on Linux on a separate SSD and sure enough, first few games were great but then the usual BS started.

Now for some interesting stuff that is tied into networking:
This problem has been around for years and affects loads of games don't let anyone tell you 'this wasnt in CS source' because it definitely was... except there were some 'workarounds' back then. In cs: source you could adjust: cl_cmdrate, cl_updaterate and rate.
I noticed by setting cmd and updaterate values really low (say 10) you could get a weird timing advantage in loads of servers and you would quickly get accused of cheating. CS:GO has made it so the MM serves auto adjust these 2 commands but 'rate' can still be changed.
Which leads me to my next finding:
I mentioned my connection is 900MBs so my recommended rate should be set to 786432. However, if i play with this rate its almost as if anyone and everyone can kill me by shooting in my general direction. The screen doesnt even flash red when i get shot several times... just see someone and dead. Rinse and repeat.

Other findings:

I’m totally agree with u this could be a internet problem, but this issue is so weird that u can’t know if it’s internet, electrical, a curse..etc. I’m agree aswell about u said isp traffic in Russla, that’s explain why most of the Russians re good on faceit , even the most dumbest make kills, is like easy to kill for them. Maybe fiber optic is the most lye in this century, they sold it as the best, so fast etc. start thinking is a completely shit

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » 13 Jan 2023, 07:27

D3scendent wrote:

Do it please, i already have two broadband lines with two-year-contracts :( . VDSL100 and ADSL16000, both have the same problem.

triplese

Post by triplese » 13 Jan 2023, 19:25

D3scendent wrote:
Confirming, with ~40000 rate gameplay is much more close to OK.
But it is strange, because I have 1gbit symmetrical FTTH and have same with 100mbit copper on other ISP on start of my lag journey...
BTW, in Russla at least 2 major ISPs connecting last few years users by GPON/EPON. Users reporting it in forum of my router.