I fixed my Desync/input Lag/Hitreg in CSGO

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
imprecise

Re: I fixed my Desync/input Lag/Hitreg in CSGO

Post by imprecise » 24 Mar 2023, 04:08

espresso wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 07:30
We had sys_ticrate 10000 in CS1.3 in 2005 but i guess we lost that technology
It's ancient lost technology. Probably created by aliens.

stateofmind

Post by stateofmind » 26 Mar 2023, 21:43

Hi everyone,

I'm east european, been on fps games since quake 1. A friend of mine did the math and I have more than 60k hours in videogames, I am a true addict. This whole problem seems to be happening on any internet connection in the UK, why did I just say that? After a few FTTP, FTTC and a few adsl connections I can say the problem lies somewhere in the infrastructure. Had 1 business dedicated connection, bt, sky, virgin, all the same and no difference. Went with all of the m through complain procedures all the way to closing the contracts early as if you learn a bit of networking you will find out absolutely all of them are scams. You can find jitter and other problems.

The thing I can confirm the most is that whenever I played from poland, romania and hungary, none of the issues I encountered in the UK have occurred.

My best bet is that the internet is so well regulated and scanned by big brother and that we, the gamers get fucked by the ISP's (TBH i still prefer not to be prevalent in videogames than another King's Cross event)

(BTW starlink has lag spikes, confirmed by multiple US gamers from different sources)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Mar 2023, 08:45

I wish more game engines netcode would re-add a very slight amount of optional intentional latency for a dejitter-buffer (like a YouTube/Netflix dejitter buffer, except for multiplayer packets, about and only ~10-50 milliseconds worth) just to eliminate a hell of a lot of desync problems. Some countries would need a bigger dejitter buffer, while others would not. The server would need to use the lowest common denominator.

I'll take 10ms more input lag over desync problems (shooting an enemy and not registering the hit due to a desync).

This would be concurrent to subtick systems, where every event is micrsecond-timestamped and compensated-for between ticks.

But the race to lower latency means we're getting MORE desync problems.

I hope CS:GO2 implements some of this ability.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

AyayronPlays

Post by AyayronPlays » 20 Apr 2023, 17:14

Hi,

I have had a similar experience with my 5800x. I was having issues with spraying and mouse control in general that was very intermittent and seemed better some days than others.

Since locking my core clock at 4700 and whacking a vcore of 1.350 I am no longer having those issues, Likely because of the reasons listed in OPs first post.

If you're having issues and haven't tried locking your core with this chip I would definitely recommend trying it.

D3scendent

Post by D3scendent » 01 Jun 2023, 03:41

Hi guys, I just wanted to update you on some stuff...
Latest things tried so you don't have:

I tried Starlink as they had a 30 day money back trial on in the UK. It made no difference.

This guys video (He's convinced desync is caused by RAM timings):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CB8P0-hJRQ. Its for Valorant but made no difference to CSGO (using his recommended RAM timings and NVIDIA control panel settings).

Some better news (that may lead to a solution):
Last night I was part of a pre-made 5 man playing vertigo.
I am usually the carry guy in my gaming group (they are usually GN3-GNM, I am usually MG1-MG2 on my alt account).
We started getting smashed, losing every round. I can't speak for the others but I was getting all the usual deysnc problems: bad hit reg, killed extremely quickly. Tried the usual fixes (lowered my rate from max, alt+tab out) but to no avail.
I got fed up and changed my resolution to 4:3 1280X960... and of course the game crashed (because why wouldn't CSGO not be a buggy mess after 15 yrs)
Restarted the game and reconnected.
Now all of a sudden the game felt faster, responsive, hits are landing, I'm not getting insta peaked, AK is doing nice little spray downs etc.
We still lost the game but I managed to come from bottom fragger to top within a few rounds, finishing on 17K 10D by the end (not bad for a short match) with the guy below me only having 9K and bottom place having 4K.

This is not the first time I've experienced this and its something I've been routinely doing recently (restarting my game) when hit reg is god awful.

So, the question is: what changed that fixed the desync?
Was it the resolution change?
The game restart?
the reconnection to the server?
Or something else? like my GPU having some sort of reset.

Is there something that can be monitored and flagged to let us know the game is desynced and a restart is needed?
3rd party traffic monitoring tools? Does the network routing change upon reconnection?
I feel like once we recognise what changes in the game at the point of desync and it can be flagged, a makeshift solution can be made (even if its just a game restart) because the problem at the moment is that it can take several rounds to acknowledge something is wrong rather than you're just getting outplayed by a better player or you've just been unlucky.

Raphaeangelo

Post by Raphaeangelo » 03 Sep 2023, 10:25

This thread was such a relief to read. I’ve been playing Apex Legends since season 2 and I feel like it’s the most inconsistent game I’ve ever played. How can anyone get better at a game that is incredibly inconsistent. I’m sensitive to these inconsistencies. I’ve spent tons of money on good hardware. I’ve spent countless hours tweaking settings. Nothing permanently fixes these issues. The pursuit to “fix” this game is maddening. It’s nice to know there might not be a fix. I’m not happy about that but at least I can give up hope that I’m just one setting change away from a consistent game.

After years of trying to fix the game I’m inclined to believe the issues are server/ISP/network related. It’s the only part of the equation I can’t tweak. It also explains why one day things will feel good but not the next when NOTHING on my PC has changed. For anyone who feels these inconsistencies, you’re not alone.

Raphaeangelo

Post by Raphaeangelo » 04 Sep 2023, 15:24

Ok so after my last comment I got to thinking. It has to be network related. Since I can’t change my ISP and there is nothing I can do about server performance I was thinking maybe lag compensation is the reason for inconsistencies. I normally have a ping of less than 20ms. I have what’s called hiders advantage. People with more than 80ms have peekers advantage. I wanted to play a game right in the middle at 50ms. I selected a server that wasn’t the closest but also not the farthest. My ping was right around 40-50ms and the game felt great! I wasn’t dropping 20 bombs but I felt like all my damage was registering and people would die with the right amount of bullets. It felt fair. When I would get killed it was because I was out gunned or out positioned. I wasn’t getting shot 3 times and dying while landing two whole magazines (like I used to on 20ms ping). I know everyone says “I found the issue” then a few days later say “it’s back” but lag compensation is a factor I’ve never tested before. I’ll keep playing like this and report back in a few weeks.

I found this compilation of pro streamers. It’s interesting that they all have a ping of 40-50ms.

https://youtu.be/USaEdXSui7A?si=Fn39b9n5THpYKIlu

Curious if anyone can confirm that 40-50ms feels the best.
Last edited by Raphaeangelo on 04 Sep 2023, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.

13n47

Post by 13n47 » 04 Sep 2023, 15:42

Raphaeangelo wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 15:24
Ok so after my last comment I got to thinking. It has to be network related. Since I can’t change my ISP and there is nothing I can do about server performance I was thinking maybe lag compensation is the reason for inconsistencies. I normally have a ping of less than 20ms. I have what’s called peakers advantage. People with more than 80ms have hiders advantage. I wanted to play a game right in the middle at 50ms. I selected a server that wasn’t the closest but also not the farthest. My ping was right around 40-50ms and the game felt great! I wasn’t dropping 20 bombs but I felt like all my damage was registering and people would die with the right amount of bullets. It felt fair. When I would get killed it was because I was out gunned or out positioned. I wasn’t getting shot 3 times and dying while landing two whole magazines (like I used to on 20ms ping). I know everyone says “I found the issue” then a few days later say “it’s back” but lag compensation is a factor I’ve never tested before. I’ll keep playing like this and report back in a few weeks.

I found this compilation of pro streamers. It’s interesting that they all have a ping of 40-50ms.

You're correct, it is the lag compensation. Same thing happens in Valorant, but it's even weirder. I used to have 43ms to London and was having a blast most of the time while playing, then the routing changed and I had 37ms ping. With that ping, my KDA tanked and I felt like I had no time to react to enemy movement at all. Increasing my latency with a tool back to 43ms ping and voila, most of the games feel much better and it doesn't feel that off anymore, KDA instantly improved. There's something going on, that around 40ms-60ms ping feels much more consistent(although not always) than 15ms-40ms ping. But holy, just 6ms difference in ping can cause such a vastly different experience.

There's something going on with the lag compensation algos. There seems to be a sweet spot in latency, more often than not it happens to be in that 40-60ms range. Other players, get cucked, unlucky for you. It's rare for the sweet spot to be for low ping players and even rarer for really high ping players but I've experienced it on all sides.

What really confuses me how has this lag compensation problem issue spread like wildfire to different games. From player feedback i'm certain this issue extends to cs:go, but also seen similar complaints on fifa, halo and rocket league forums. wtf?

cursed-gamer

Post by cursed-gamer » 04 Sep 2023, 18:46

13n47 wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 15:42
Raphaeangelo wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 15:24
Ok so after my last comment I got to thinking. It has to be network related. Since I can’t change my ISP and there is nothing I can do about server performance I was thinking maybe lag compensation is the reason for inconsistencies. I normally have a ping of less than 20ms. I have what’s called peakers advantage. People with more than 80ms have hiders advantage. I wanted to play a game right in the middle at 50ms. I selected a server that wasn’t the closest but also not the farthest. My ping was right around 40-50ms and the game felt great! I wasn’t dropping 20 bombs but I felt like all my damage was registering and people would die with the right amount of bullets. It felt fair. When I would get killed it was because I was out gunned or out positioned. I wasn’t getting shot 3 times and dying while landing two whole magazines (like I used to on 20ms ping). I know everyone says “I found the issue” then a few days later say “it’s back” but lag compensation is a factor I’ve never tested before. I’ll keep playing like this and report back in a few weeks.

You're correct, it is the lag compensation. Same thing happens in Valorant, but it's even weirder. I used to have 43ms to London and was having a blast most of the time while playing, then the routing changed and I had 37ms ping. With that ping, my KDA tanked and I felt like I had no time to react to enemy movement at all. Increasing my latency with a tool back to 43ms ping and voila, most of the games feel much better and it doesn't feel that off anymore, KDA instantly improved. There's something going on, that around 40ms-60ms ping feels much more consistent(although not always) than 15ms-40ms ping. But holy, just 6ms difference in ping can cause such a vastly different experience.

There's something going on with the lag compensation algos. There seems to be a sweet spot in latency, more often than not it happens to be in that 40-60ms range. Other players, get cucked, unlucky for you. It's rare for the sweet spot to be for low ping players and even rarer for really high ping players but I've experienced it on all sides.

What really confuses me how has this lag compensation problem issue spread like wildfire to different games. From player feedback i'm certain this issue extends to cs:go, but also seen similar complaints on fifa, halo and rocket league forums. wtf?
Already tried it with clumsy for 40-50-60-70 ping and makes absolutely zero difference in terms of hitreg/desync. Wherever I bring my PC it works like utter shit, which means heavy movement, delayed clicks combined with enormous desync. Gaming RIP.

But in last month there was only one time, somewhere around 3 AM when everything was just surprisingly perfect. That time I was 1 second ahead of everybody but not sure what changed.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Sep 2023, 20:19

Keep in mind that the lag compensation algorithms vary a lot depending on all the below:

- Your own lag to server.
- Player 2 lag to server.
- Player 3 lag to server.
- Player 4 lag to server.
[etc,etc]

Your sweet spot will depend on the lag of other people, as the lag compensation algos tries to (often imperfectly) tries to tilt the playing field based on all the known lags etc.

So (XX ms) will work for you in one specific game, in one specific part of the world, on one specific server, in one specific time of day.

So whether it works -- can sometimes be crapshoot. It's a ferocious black box in many ways.

Changes in OTHER players' lags will affect the benefit/handicap of lag compensation algorithm for you.

So there are no reliable always-works rules, but you can come up with generalities like the 40ms ballpark rule, etc, and try to optimize (e.g. use multiple different gaming VPNs etc). However it is not a guarantee, and that number shifts wildly depending on other peoples' lag and on the specific game server, specific location, specific time of day (Internet performance).

Hundreds of variables creating dominoe effects! It's almost a House of Cards.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!