Can more cores cause lower input lag? And more cpu questions.

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Worstylolzs

Re: Can more cores cause lower input lag? And more cpu questions.

Post by Worstylolzs » 02 Nov 2022, 15:35

Thank you all for your reply. I got all informations what i need. So my final desicion is on 5700x5800x or 5800x3d. Thanks!

To 59xx+ cpus i watching apex legends streamer Rogue https://www.twitch.tv/rogue and he got CPU 5950x Gpu 3090 and 360hz monitor. When i watching his stream, his screen feels like no lag and no problems with 5950x. But i don't know if he have setting cores affinity, but to compare with other streamers he got so soft screen. Tracking what he do is so clean. From this stream i got feeling the 59xx+ can be really good for input lag, but how you say there, its all about setting applications on right core to reduce communication lag between cores.

And again thanks all for your posts.

Worstylolzs

Post by Worstylolzs » 02 Nov 2022, 15:37

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 19:55
greenenemy wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 04:04
So statements like that:
Tuhin Lavania wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 20:56
Intel will always have lower latency averages than AMD.
are simply not true.
I agree too. AMD can still produce superior results if you know what you're doing -- and if you've properly changed the variables, and aren't doing anything that is hobbled by AMD quirks.

After all, the system is a package (motherboard, etc). I've seen crappy Intel motherboards create more lag than an excellent AMD motherboard with an excellent AMD CPU.

There's always exceptions.

It's a shame that there are so many systems hobbled by hidden bottlenecks, never debugged by their vendors, because it didn't create a big-enough inefficiency that affected a big number of users (including outside esports).
Is there on blurbusters some forum, where i can find what Motherboards or other components are crappy one?
Thank you.

boxszs

Post by boxszs » 06 Jan 2023, 12:22

Tuhin Lavania wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 20:56
Please leave 59XX series out of the choice if you are looking for low input lag. i have a 5950x and i have to disable 8 cores ( 1 CCD ) to get acceptable latency.
Never again buying AMD. Intel will always have lower latency averages than AMD. I have the 13900k and 4090 ordered for my new PC, lets see what it brings in terms of input lag.
How is your 13900k?

Worstylolzs

Post by Worstylolzs » 06 Mar 2023, 09:08

Kyouki wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 02:54
Personally can verify on my 3950x that the below chart is very accurate:
https://images.anandtech.com/doci/16214 ... _575px.png

Planning to move to a 5950x for easier management and better ccx to ccx latency:
https://images.anandtech.com/doci/16214 ... _575px.png

And those are the only 'penalty' you'll get.
Unfortunately, EAC protected games do not allow you to do Core Affinity :x
Hope that maybe someone has some advice for this, perhaps or other secret things to the 3950x/5950x to improve gaming performances.
Already own a copy of Process Lasso to try and mitigate the ccx-ccx penalty.

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16214/am ... x-tested/5
Hello i got question after the long time, again for you.
1) You write yo got 2ccx cpu 3950x/5950x I want to ask you, have you ever try set core affiny for windows and other programs for one ccx and the game on other ccx? If not can you try it plz? If can help have more stable game.
I found video for that, but he doesn't have 2 ccx so he just give windows and programs to two core and other use for games and fix priorities https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9xu8u_0Xpk

Last time i don't bought any cpu i was waiting for new generation. Now i will have money and can buy, but again same bad question like before. 7900 or 7700 ? I know i dont want x version because there is so much cpu power on non x and i know don't need 3D because i play games what dont utilize that cache so much and cpu still got so much power. (Maybe later). So my first question will help my to decide. My favorite is 7900 because have another Pros like if i will try streaming or video editing and in future maybe can use for work (im Automation tester with java, but future maybe will be java developer)

Thanks for your time and have nice day.

Kyouki

Post by Kyouki » 06 Mar 2023, 10:29

Worstylolzs wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 09:08
1) You write yo got 2ccx cpu 3950x/5950x I want to ask you, have you ever try set core affiny for windows and other programs for one ccx and the game on other ccx? If not can you try it plz? If can help have more stable game.
I found video for that, but he doesn't have 2 ccx so he just give windows and programs to two core and other use for games and fix priorities https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9xu8u_0Xpk
I've done this and it does help yes -- however some anticheat software protection (EAC) starts to prevent this from being applied/changed.
Unless there are launchers where we can set the rules to the parent process (launcher) and it'll pass it on to the child process. (game client)

I've used various methods and programs to try to achieve this, but none (unless setting Explorer to use on ccd only, which is not ideal.) seem to work.
Worstylolzs wrote:
Last time i don't bought any cpu i was waiting for new generation. Now i will have money and can buy, but again same bad question like before. 7900 or 7700 ? I know i dont want x version because there is so much cpu power on non x and i know don't need 3D because i play games what dont utilize that cache so much and cpu still got so much power. (Maybe later). So my first question will help my to decide. My favorite is 7900 because have another Pros like if i will try streaming or video editing and in future maybe can use for work (im Automation tester with java, but future maybe will be java developer)
I think (personally) for the vast majority of users 8 cores right now with the 7800x(and 3D) will be absolutely splendid for most of those tasks and won't suffer from the issues coming with multi-ccd CPUs.
Streaming can be done on the GPU and video editing scales tiny bits with more cores and threads but DaVinci Resolve for instance can also use the GPU for encoding/rendering the video. and/or development. So these CPUs will suit all your tasks greatly!

I am personally gonna get the 5800X3D as I do play games for the most part and my workload doesn't seem to require that many cores/threads (except virtual machines, but I will likely re-use my 3950x for a separate server-box/machine)
CPU: AMD R7 5800x3D ~ PBO2Tuner -30 ~ no C states
RAM: Gskill Bdie 2x16gb TridentZ Neo ~ CL16-16-16-36 1T ~ fine tuned latency
GPU: ASUS TUF 3080 10G OC Edition(v1/non-LHR) ~ disabled Pstates ~ max oced
Monitor: Alienware AW2521H ~ mix of ULMB/Gsync @ 240hz/360hz
More specs: https://kit.co/Kyouki/the-pc-that-stomps-you

Worstylolzs

Post by Worstylolzs » 08 Mar 2023, 04:24

Kyouki wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 10:29
Worstylolzs wrote:
I've done this and it does help yes -- however some anticheat software protection (EAC) starts to prevent this from being applied/changed.
Unless there are launchers where we can set the rules to the parent process (launcher) and it'll pass it on to the child process. (game client)

I've used various methods and programs to try to achieve this, but none (unless setting Explorer to use on ccd only, which is not ideal.) seem to work.
Worstylolzs wrote:
I think (personally) for the vast majority of users 8 cores right now with the 7800x(and 3D) will be absolutely splendid for most of those tasks and won't suffer from the issues coming with multi-ccd CPUs.
Streaming can be done on the GPU and video editing scales tiny bits with more cores and threads but DaVinci Resolve for instance can also use the GPU for encoding/rendering the video. and/or development. So these CPUs will suit all your tasks greatly!

I am personally gonna get the 5800X3D as I do play games for the most part and my workload doesn't seem to require that many cores/threads (except virtual machines, but I will likely re-use my 3950x for a separate server-box/machine)
Thanks for answer.

I play apex legends and wow. In this games you can set your affinity to parent procces, so there will be not problem have two ccd cpu if i understand right. Im very curious about two ccds cpu, but i understand more ccd=more problems. In past i said apex is cpu bound game and its not true. It's use maily one or two core, so more cores than 6 or 8 will not pay any advantage there. In the end i can do the same thing like guy on video what i was send. Alocate some different cores to game and to other programs and windows, i can do on 8 core cpu too. I think the game can be more cleaner if cpu what game use will be really alocated only for game and dont do another tasks.

Kyouki

Post by Kyouki » 08 Mar 2023, 05:01

Worstylolzs wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 04:24
Kyouki wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 10:29
Worstylolzs wrote:

Worstylolzs wrote:

Thanks for answer.

I play apex legends and wow. In this games you can set your affinity to parent procces, so there will be not problem have two ccd cpu if i understand right. Im very curious about two ccds cpu, but i understand more ccd=more problems. In past i said apex is cpu bound game and its not true. It's use maily one or two core, so more cores than 6 or 8 will not pay any advantage there. In the end i can do the same thing like guy on video what i was send. Alocate some different cores to game and to other programs and windows, i can do on 8 core cpu too. I think the game can be more cleaner if cpu what game use will be really alocated only for game and dont do another tasks.
Correct.

Again though like I said, for multiplayer games and some anticheats blocking affinity changes (EAC) it might get difficult(er).
CPU: AMD R7 5800x3D ~ PBO2Tuner -30 ~ no C states
RAM: Gskill Bdie 2x16gb TridentZ Neo ~ CL16-16-16-36 1T ~ fine tuned latency
GPU: ASUS TUF 3080 10G OC Edition(v1/non-LHR) ~ disabled Pstates ~ max oced
Monitor: Alienware AW2521H ~ mix of ULMB/Gsync @ 240hz/360hz
More specs: https://kit.co/Kyouki/the-pc-that-stomps-you

v0HaVoK0v

Post by v0HaVoK0v » 21 Mar 2023, 09:47

Just today I was always wondering why apex feels weird, my fps would stay high, my 1% and 0.1% still was good with both CCD's on my 5900x, but there was still this jittery look, as if I was playing with a lower refresh rate, but I wasn't. This morning I decided to try with 1 CCD disabled, and the jittery look is completely gone, before this I tried with only SMT disabled but it was still there (seemed a little better) but this has completely removed that horrible look, it had been bugging me for like a year now. I never really noticed it in any other game then apex.

Worstylolzs

Post by Worstylolzs » 22 Mar 2023, 06:02

v0HaVoK0v wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 09:47
Just today I was always wondering why apex feels weird, my fps would stay high, my 1% and 0.1% still was good with both CCD's on my 5900x, but there was still this jittery look, as if I was playing with a lower refresh rate, but I wasn't. This morning I decided to try with 1 CCD disabled, and the jittery look is completely gone, before this I tried with only SMT disabled but it was still there (seemed a little better) but this has completely removed that horrible look, it had been bugging me for like a year now. I never really noticed it in any other game then apex.

Hi can you try procces lasso and set steam/origin cpu affinity to cores of one CCD and try it again ? Maybe need change that on easy anti cheat too. I want to know if this would happen if you switch to one ccd only with proces lasso and without disable one ccd on bios. Thank you.

FPSMaster

Post by FPSMaster » 22 Mar 2023, 07:25

More cores = Better FPS = Lower Frametimes = Lower Lag
Also more cores and better Single Core Performance will be able to handle Windows backround tasks more efficient, which can lower stutters.
But don't expect big Latency reductions, you most likely wont even notice it. If you allready have a decent CPU, consider buying a better GPU, this will give you the biggest latency reduction.