[Ethernet Onboard-vs-USB-vs-PCIe] I finally found the reason behind my input lag after 6 years

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
ahead

Re: [Ethernet Onboard-vs-USB-vs-PCIe] I finally found the reason behind my input lag after 6 years

Post by ahead » 24 Apr 2024, 02:29

That's just another placebo.

MeveSPB

Re: [Ethernet Onboard-vs-USB-vs-PCIe] I finally found the reason behind my input lag after 6 years

Post by MeveSPB » 24 Apr 2024, 03:15

howcani wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 14:41
I have RTL8111G I don't see anywhere the registry of "RSSBaseProcessor" can't even find

1) I want to clarify for you, these settings are offered by the user "kyube" on page 11 ( Post by kyube » 30 Aug 2023, 17:37). I'm just the person who did it and felt the difference in mouse movements.
2) kyube refers to the source:
https://github.com/amitxv/PC-Tuning/blo ... rface-card

With the help of a saved copy of the site, we will find out:
Network Interface Card
The NIC must support MSI-X for Receive Side Scaling to function properly (1). In most cases, RSS base CPU is enough to migrate DPCs and ISRs for the NIC driver which eliminates the need for an interrupt affinity policy. However, if you are having trouble migrating either to other CPUs, try configuring both simultaneously.

The command below can be used to configure RSS base CPU. Ensure to change the driver key to the one that corresponds to the correct NIC. Keep in mind that the amount of RSS queues determines the amount of consecutive CPUs that the network driver is scheduled on. For example, the driver will be scheduled on CPU 2/3/4/5 (2/4/6/8 with HT/SMT enabled) if RSS base CPU is set to 2 along with 4 RSS queues configured.

See How many RSS Queues do you need?

See media/find-driver-key-example.png to obtain the correct driver key in Device Manager

Code: Select all

reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000" /v "*RssBaseProcNumber" /t REG_SZ /d "2" /f
If RSS is not functioning as expected, see this for a potential workaround
Registration of shots - the method does not cure either!

As an experiment (please don't think this is the solution) Now, as a new attempt :
1) I have: rolled back the change Gointerruptpolicy. Now I have:
- Gointerruptpolicy - set "Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller" from "IrqAllCloseProcessor"
2) Reduced the value of the receive and transmit buffers to 512 in the adapter settings (Asus XG-C100C (10GbE))
3) I changed it in the same adapter settings PRIORYTY VLAN - Packet prioryty&VLAN disabled
4) I turned on QOS for outgoing traffic once again (Edgerouter4+edge switch 10 x). In the advanced settings, I set the value for outgoing traffic to target 5ms
5) Changed the msi policy. But I don't remember which ones anymore.

I'm testing in cs2

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Apr 2024, 20:24

ahead wrote:
24 Apr 2024, 02:29
That's just another placebo.
Not necessarily. It can be, but I've seen switching between Ethernet adaptors fix things. The problem is there are millions of things that can cause problems, and that others have failed at fixing the problem using the same thing. But that doesn't mean it's always placebo.

Switching between types of ethernet adaptor has indeed definitely fixed problems for a subset of a few people.

We generally discourage "placebo!" posts on these forums...
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ahead

Post by ahead » 02 May 2024, 23:22

I "tried" all of this in 2003.

I can add more: in 2003, an Ethernet card was not part of the motherboard; it was always an external PCI card. Additionally, input lag did exist. If you still don't want to call it a placebo after this, that's your right.

Kipperii

Post by Kipperii » Yesterday, 01:41

ahead wrote:
02 May 2024, 23:22
I "tried" all of this in 2003.

I can add more: in 2003, an Ethernet card was not part of the motherboard; it was always an external PCI card. Additionally, input lag did exist. If you still don't want to call it a placebo after this, that's your right.
I tried all this in 1990