[Ethernet Onboard-vs-USB-vs-PCIe] I finally found the reason behind my input lag after 6 years

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: [Ethernet Onboard-vs-USB-vs-PCIe] I finally found the reason behind my input lag after 6 years

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Nov 2022, 19:00

BTW, I will confirm that bad Ethernet and bad USB ports has commonly created legitimate lag/lagfeel issues.

This has nothing to do with things like game algorithms (e.g. latency compensation), that's a totally different rabbit hole.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

kriegsnake

Re: [Ethernet Onboard-vs-USB-vs-PCIe] I finally found the reason behind my input lag after 6 years

Post by kriegsnake » 17 Nov 2022, 23:20

I had the MSI Z270 gaming plus motherboard with an Intel I219-v chip. Same thing that you guys are experiencing: prefired ,no hitreg and etc.
I've recently changed full rig ,every single detail and the motherboard to b550-f asus rog with Intel 225-V chip and it's the same sh*t. Bought the single card that I have around here on chip model : RTL8188 , and there is no difference again. Overall to any europe servers I have 75 ping, I don't think changing the cards or smth else will help at all, anyways.

g00d8y3

Post by g00d8y3 » 18 Nov 2022, 04:53

It is definetly placebo. I have Msi x570 tomahawk with Realtek® 8125B 2.5Gbps LAN Controller still have shit hitreg,lag etc.. Tried tp-link lan controller still was same. No luck.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Nov 2022, 17:44

g00d8y3 wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 04:53
It is definetly placebo. I have Msi x570 tomahawk with Realtek® 8125B 2.5Gbps LAN Controller still have shit hitreg,lag etc.. Tried tp-link lan controller still was same. No luck.
For this one specifically, it is not always placebo.

This won't always help the game server behaviors -- a crappy routing and a crappy server will always have issues -- and there can be multiple lag issues. But if the fault is not with other things and the Ethernet is the only thing, there can be significant differences.

Make sure you test different lag causes.
And you need to try more than 3 or 4 different network implementations.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

sherifmagdy32

Post by sherifmagdy32 » 19 Nov 2022, 16:14

add me to the list asrock b365m here
after i tweaked the ehternet settings everything is so much better the difference is huge

InputLagger

Post by InputLagger » 20 Nov 2022, 15:04

g00d8y3 wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 04:53
Never test NICs via games. You will be always get a different results, depends on servers, other players, external ISP routings etc.

Try test using iperf3 (pingplotter, wireshark) in local network (for avoid ISP routing which you can never fix for yourself

naporitan

Re: I finally found the reason behind my input lag after 6 years

Post by naporitan » 20 Nov 2022, 15:25

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 23:35
This is possibly because of bad network routing. Or other weirdness such as lag-compensation playing-field-levelling algorithms that somehow overseverely penalized low-ping players.
True.

I play against a 4000 elo player type with 60 pings, and I with 150. Im from Yakutia and playing in germany server.

phpBB [video]

naporitan

Post by naporitan » 27 Nov 2022, 10:44

150 ping vs 30 ping and 3k elo player.

phpBB [video]

If you have a very low ping, Lag Compensation will just buffer your packets and thus create artificial lag for you.
The faster your system and ping and the higher your opponents ping the bigger the buffer of your packets.

schizobeyondpills

Post by schizobeyondpills » 03 Dec 2022, 00:44

thats because almost all motherboards share power delivery network for all onboard things, USB, NIC, audio, ports etc.(especially cheap non OC mobos, i think top of the line ASUS mobos have individually powered USB and on-board things). so if USB 3.0 is being used its EMF at 2.4GHz will contaminate everything else on that same power delivery network, same for ethernet EMF. Also PLEASE stop testing swapping NICs in online games, even 10 minutes difference is massive in terms of ping and what your ISP does, even a simple reconnect will change how your ISP routes your packets, its not from NICs its from daytime traffic change, ISP packets change etc.. routing change etc.. even re-launching a game will have 0.1-1ms difference from how threads are allocated on the OS. also dont test CS GO, the game has horrible networking engine that is horrible even on LAN(and ofc hidden "fairness" money making algorithms for players hitreg adjustment), please use some high performance networking tool to simulate packets and ETW

Smokq

Post by Smokq » 16 Dec 2022, 07:18

6yToFindTheAnswer wrote:
30 Oct 2022, 22:02
Long time lurker here, finally made an account.

Ever since I build this PC problems started and my performance in game was noticeably worse. At the time I was questioning everything but the PC. Thinking that my issues are electricity related or from my ISP or even EMI.

My build is from avril 2017
i7 7700k
MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon
16 GB 3000Mhz CL15
GTX 1080
1TB SSD

I literally spend thousands and thousands of Euros; I changed my power supply, tried every ISP in my country, changed high end routers several times, bought a UPS. Hell I even moved from 2 different house in 6 years... The problem persisted no matter what.

My problems are exactly what most of you guys describe on these topics. Heavy cursor feeling, i get pre-fired most of the time or bullets do not register, i die before even seeing enemies, like if they see me 1sec or 0,5sec before i even see them, etc...
I mainly play competitive FPS (CSGO, Valorant, etc) I have more than 9000Hours on Steam only on CSGO and a bit more than 1000h on Valorant.

I bought more than 10 different mice, a few different mousepads and 4, 5 different keyboards. Tried a bunch of 240Hz monitors... still the problems persisted.

Tried every single thing you can think of. Tweaked windows, very low dpc latency optimization, clean install with older version of windows, older nvidia drivers, etc. Took my PC at my friends house, etc. Nothing worked.

Then my professional life changed and I got less time to play for almost 2 years, so I forgot a bit about it; until a few months ago. So, because I have more free time now; I decided to try again the games I used to dominate on (CSGO &Valorant mostly).

and no surprise... My nightmares started again as described above.

Then by chance i found the reason for all this input lag that i have been experiencing since 6 years... and it is the dumbest thing ever...

I unplugged my ethernet cable and instantly my DPI felt like it doubled. Very curious about why i connected my Android phone (used LTE USB tethering) and played on some servers i always used to play on. My mouse sensor was snappy like i have never felt before, the PC was way more responsive (even the strafing on the keyboard) It was mind boggling, i just could not believe it. It was like I was playing another game. Bullet would register correctly and enemies were dying faster on a jittery 4G LTE connection with 60ms ping than a 1GB/s Fiber connection with very minimal jitter and 9ping....

So I suspected the network chipset on my MSI Z270 motherboard ( Intel I219-V )

What I did to confirm my theory is that I went to my office and took an old PC that we are not using anymore which got a i5 4460, gtx 750Ti and 8Gb of ram. But most importantly... a Realtek network chipset :)
Did a clean Windows 10 install with latest drivers and installed CSGO and Valorant even though this PC was way slower than my personal PC (max 150fps with lowest settings / on my PC i have way above 300Fps stable)

There was no issue, this slower OEM PC with Realtek network chip felt way more responsive and my mouse was snappier. I never felt like i got pre fired or even died before seeing the enemy. Plus it had a correct bullet registration which was not the case at all with my PC with the Intel Network Chipset.

Yeah you read that right, i spend THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of Euros, tried every ISP, played 6 years with a very noticeable input lag all of that because of a trash Intel Network Chip. There is literally no fix, it is the exact same since I bought all the parts in 2017 with every drivers updates, every windows version and builds since then, every single tweak you can think of, there is no solution; if I connect my Ethernet Cable my DPI are divided by 2 and I have an insane input lag and noticeable disadvantage in game. Everything disappear when I use USB tethering and unplug the ethernet cable.

Which is totally not the case on an older and slower OEM PC with a realtek network chipset. I would have never ever imagined that a network chipset on a motherboard could make such a difference.

Plugging / unplugging the ethernet cable on the motherboard with Intel Network Chipset ( Intel I219-V ) made a very noticeable difference in gameplay feeling and cursor speed while on the motherboard with Realtek Network Chipset there was 0 difference if the exact same ethernet cable is plugged / unplugged.

Curious to know if any of you got a similar experience or know more about that subject?
UPDATE:
Apparent fascinating data about apparent latency savings (3ms claimed) by bypassing onboard and using USB-C or PCIe Ethernet. Read More Here

I literally have the same problem but for me when I use my mobile data it works perfect, its shitty because it feels like higher ping but my mouse doesn't feel heavier, and my input and desync is gone or at least much better, and also I have good hit regist, the thing is that I noticed that when I connect my phone cable directly to my motherboard I have the same problems + worse because im using mobile data, but when I connect my phone to another usb that is not on the motherboard the input lag is gone, but I have tried 2 different pcs with this old pc motherboards: "msi x470 gaming plus" and new pc: "asus prime b450-plus" and both have literally the same problem, I want to mention that my old pc had so many problems, a lot of my psu's died on that pc because I used to live in a shit house with shit electricity, and literally my pc exploded one day and all my psu started dying by the time, so a friend of mine gave me a new pc, but he gave me that pc without gpu/ ram and CMOS battery, so I had to use my gpu/ram and battery from the old pc (the one that exploded) so I always focused my problem on that and thought it was related to 1 of those 3 components, now that I tried without ethernet or mobile data and saw that the input lag / desync was gone I don't know what to think tbh, maybe both motherboards got fucked in that house with shit electricity? idk I have tried a lot of things xd, the 2 pcs I have mentioned, 2 different houses, 3 different ISP's, and everything you can imagine that is related to software / settings / tweaks