[Ethernet Onboard-vs-USB-vs-PCIe] I finally found the reason behind my input lag after 6 years

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Sari

Re: [Ethernet Onboard-vs-USB-vs-PCIe] I finally found the reason behind my input lag after 6 years

Post by Sari » 29 Sep 2023, 23:20

ilyastroy wrote:
26 May 2023, 11:52
I bought a realtek pcie adapter today. I will write soon how
how did it go? did it fix the issue and the game feels faster and smoother?

Sari

Re: [Ethernet Onboard-vs-USB-vs-PCIe] I finally found the reason behind my input lag after 6 years

Post by Sari » 01 Oct 2023, 08:38

6yToFindTheAnswer wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 22:48
Thank you guys for your interest on this topic, i'm reading everything :) Very interesting to see that so many people have the same problem as me; with exactly the same network chip (intel i219-v)... There are already at least 10 people only on this post claiming having the same issues.
Bobo wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 15:38
I219-V is one of the worst network cards out there, simply changing the driver can greatly affect the mouse movement (for the worse).
Yes it is. Ever since i bought this mobo in 2017 nothing changed (same issue ever since with all the different drivers and windows versions, etc).
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
07 Nov 2022, 21:42
There are indeed crappy on-board Ethernet implementations, and I've sometimes found a PCIe Ethernet card to produce better results.

Other times, the Ethernet port on a motherboard is really good.

It's very motherboard dependant.
Yes, yes, yes, totally agree with you here. Found a friend with a msi Z390 having the i219-v chip, so i asked him (without any previous explanation) to unplug his ethernet cable and see if there is a difference in mouse feeling... guess what? Yep he was losing his mind, as i personally felt on my rig, he felt the same on his; huge difference in mouse movements :shock:

I bought a bunch of PCie to ethernet card and one USB-C to ethernet here are my findings :

1st card :arrow: : chip : Realtek 8168 : Very bad result overall. Mostly having huge ping spikes CONSTANTLY without much load making online gaming impossible. Didn't go further with this one.

2nd card :arrow: : chip : Realtek 8111H : Now this one is a very very good surprise, it was super stable and seems like it handles small packets very well making it a superb chip for competitive online gaming. I got 2ms less ping overall on every servers on it was a VERY stable card.

3rd card :arrow: : chip : Broadcom 5751 : Because my router have a Broadcom chip, i was curious to buy a PCIe to Ethernet with a chip from Broadcom. This chipset was very weird : it is insanely stable in downloads (minimal jitter) and as soon as you upload something it starts to jitter (8ms +) this was not present on every other chip tested so it is an isolated issue specifically to this chip. When you shoot in csgo or valorant there is a very noticeable delay between the click and the hits on the bodies (like if you play with 150ms ping)... So it is not a good chip because as soon as you start shooting (upload) it starts to slightly jitter. Also it handles big packets very well but small packets makes it jitter (wtf???)

4th :arrow: is a USB-C to Ethernet : chip : REALTEK 8153 . I don't know what dark magic went into this one but as soon as i started testing my ping was 3ms lower on every server and it never, lowest amounts of jitter in download / uploads between all the cards. Never seen such a stable chip. My download speed was 2mbp/s slower than on the other cards but i will take it everyday for the stability it provides.

In conclusion : Yes a PCIe to ethernet card solve my issue. As soon as i plug my ethernet cable to the integrated chip in my motherboard (Intel i219-v) my mouse movements are slower (like if the DPI decrease) and i can even feel it on desktop. With all that has been said before (heavy feeling in game, bad hitboxes, getting pre-shots, etc ) So having a PCIe card solve all those issue. Also you have to buy a bunch like me and test them because there are some differences between them, some are far better than others. They are not equivalent.

Also :idea: don't believe what you read on Reddit; people are writing eevrywhere that intel chips are far better and years ahead of realtek ones (not true at all) Seems like people like to repeat what they heard without having anything to back their claims... People seems to forget that Intel doesn't have such a clear and bright past in network chips history as people tend to make you believe...

yes indeed, if you don't know, there was a huge lawsuit against Intel a few years ago for their PUMA 6 and PUMA 7 chips that were using in millions of routers.

in summary : https://approvedmodemlist.com/intel-pum ... t-defects/

Those were not firmware related issues but it was the chip in itself, bad conception.

Z200, Z300 and Z400 series motherboard were mostly using intel chips... don't you find weird that with newer AMD/Intel mobo generations all the new ones that comes out are using Realtek network chips (like 80% of the past 2 gens and even newer ones) even the high ends ones. Such a weird U-turn that mobo manufacturers have made, yet 0 public announcement but there are reasons for sure...
Here are an example : most of the new B550 mobos that came out use a Realtek 8111H chip (yes the same one i tested) which is a great chip, one of the best i tested. But you know what? this chip was released in 2011 :lol: almost 12 years old and it still beats the newer poorly made intel ones....
So which chipset you suggest we shoukd get for the best online competitive performance, to get rid and eliminate all the desync, heavy feeling and input lag

ilyastroy

Post by ilyastroy » 28 Nov 2023, 14:57

Sari wrote:
29 Sep 2023, 23:20
ilyastroy wrote:
26 May 2023, 11:52
I bought a realtek pcie adapter today. I will write soon how
how did it go? did it fix the issue and the game feels faster and smoother?
Hello again. I tested the Realtek 8168b adapter and I can say so. In terms of mouse sensitivity and aiming, it has become better compared to intel i219-v. But registration has noticeably deteriorated. I lost 400 elo on faceit. Yesterday I ordered a Realtek 8153 chipset. I will unsubscribe again in six months.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Nov 2023, 19:42

ilyastroy wrote:
28 Nov 2023, 14:57
Hello again. I tested the Realtek 8168b adapter and I can say so. In terms of mouse sensitivity and aiming, i
t has become better compared to intel i219-v. But registration has noticeably deteriorated. I lost 400 elo on faceit. Yesterday I ordered a Realtek 8153 chipset. I will unsubscribe again in six months.
Are you using USB or PCIe version of the RealTek?

Don't forget to play your USB roulette properly

Buying an improved USB-C Ethernet adaptor is sabotaged by going to a worse (more heavily-shared) USB port on your motherboard.

That "accident" is often overlooked by people who are trying to optimize.

What happens sometimes is:
1. A person buys a USB-C Ethernet adaptor
2. The person plugs it into a "poor performance USB" port
3. They think it's the USB-C Ethernet adaptor fault (sometimes correct, sometimes wrong)

There are domino effects involved here that may turn an upgrade to a downgrade.

TL;DR: Many motherboard USB ports are shared with your 8KHz mouse, which means your mouse interferes with your USB Ethernet adaptor. Don't make that mistake accidentally. Use a dedicated separate USB Root Hub per esports-critical USB device
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RamenRider

Post by RamenRider » 11 Dec 2023, 05:20

Just bought a TP link USBC adapter from Microcenter. System responsiveness reduced all around. Typing, gaming, even partially offline gaming. :o

joseph_from_pilsen

Post by joseph_from_pilsen » 11 Dec 2023, 07:19

I tried the same about an year ago with usb 3.0 TPLINK ETH - USB adapter and the adapter worked 1 day, then ping 300+ms spikes appeared. Since this my tplink adapter sits in a crate under my desk...

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Dec 2023, 13:15

joseph_from_pilsen wrote:
11 Dec 2023, 07:19
I tried the same about an year ago with usb 3.0 TPLINK ETH - USB adapter and the adapter worked 1 day, then ping 300+ms spikes appeared. Since this my tplink adapter sits in a crate under my desk...
USB Roulette Trick: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10624&start=110#p99463

However, your problem may not be your Ethernet
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MeveSPB

Post by MeveSPB » 09 Feb 2024, 08:53

kyube wrote:
30 Aug 2023, 09:37
1GbE → Intel I210-T1, Intel I210-AT, I211-AT, I340, I350
2.5GbE → 8125B (NOTE: don't get the PCI-E adapter version of it, only use it if it's on-board.)
10GbE → Aquantia AQC107, Intel X520, X540, X550, Intel X710-T2L
There are a few LGA1700 mobos which feature the Aquantia AQC113CS, no info on it as the date of writing.
Thanks for the list. I noticed the ALQ107 chip. The network card is on the way (ASUS XG-C100C). I'll write about the feelings later.
Don't you think intel has become less good? (Maybe I'm confusing something, but they removed RSS support)
I have experience:
integrated i226 chip (z790 carbon wi-fi)
pci-e i225
On both, I feel:
the lack of spray control in cs2 and possibly input lag.
Slow aiming at the heads (shooting with deagle is a disaster),
It feels like my bullets are not registering. Let's say there are a lot of events on the DM when I don't finish off an opponent by putting 4 bullets in him.(must die at 90% from three )

About three years ago, there was an RTL8125 (x570 unify) - the mouse was noticeably faster.
Yesterday, for fun, I bought the RTL8111F-CG chip (D-Link DGE-560T/D2A ) - I'm testing it.

kyube

Post by kyube » 09 Feb 2024, 11:25

MeveSPB wrote:
09 Feb 2024, 08:53
kyube wrote:
1GbE → Intel I210-T1, Intel I210-AT, I211-AT, I340, I350
2.5GbE → 8125B (NOTE: don't get the PCI-E adapter version of it, only use it if it's on-board.)
10GbE → Aquantia AQC107, Intel X520, X540, X550, Intel X710-T2L
There are a few LGA1700 mobos which feature the Aquantia AQC113CS, no info on it as the date of writing.
Thanks for the list. I noticed the ALQ107 chip. The network card is on the way (ASUS XG-C100C). I'll write about the feelings later.
Don't you think intel has become less good? (Maybe I'm confusing something, but they removed RSS support)
I have experience:
integrated i226 chip (z790 carbon wi-fi)
pci-e i225
On both, I feel:
the lack of spray control in cs2 and possibly input lag.
Slow aiming at the heads (shooting with deagle is a disaster),
It feels like my bullets are not registering. Let's say there are a lot of events on the DM when I don't finish off an opponent by putting 4 bullets in him.(must die at 90% from three )

About three years ago, there was an RTL8125 (x570 unify) - the mouse was noticeably faster.
Yesterday, for fun, I bought the RTL8111F-CG chip (D-Link DGE-560T/D2A ) - I'm testing it.
Have you messed with core affinities (keeping DPC's and ISR's on the same 2 cores, especially away from core 0) and interrupt moderation? These two settings can affect "feel". A external card might not be necessary.
However, supposedly the 10GbE chipsets are much more capable to do offloading than lower bandwidth cards.
I have updated my original post with new information attained since then.

MeveSPB

Post by MeveSPB » 09 Feb 2024, 13:41

kyube wrote:
09 Feb 2024, 11:25
Have you messed with core affinities (keeping DPC's and ISR's on the same 2 cores, especially away from core 0) and interrupt moderation?
I don't quite understand what you're talking about (sorry English is not my native language). I am not messed with core affinities
(everything is as it is, default).
Interrupt moderation is disabled. Usually, I set up functions according to the following type.
xx.jpg
xx.jpg (176.61 KiB) Viewed 1828 times
I would also like to add i225 and i226, you can't turn off msi mode (Windows breaks)

PS
kyube wrote:

Download this driver (for 8125B)
...... (in particular, the Win10 Auto Installation Program (NDIS)
In windows, it's shown as
Driver Date: 11/21/2023
Driver Version: 10.69.1121.2023

- Change limit from MSIUtil from 1 to 4
- Gointerruptpolicy - set "Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller" from "IrqAllCloseProcessor" to "IrqPolicySpreadMessagesAcrossAllprocessors" or "irqPolicySpecifiedProcessors"
- RSS on, which you do by going in Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections\ and right-clicking the adapter, pressing Properties => Configure => Advanced and turning on "Receive Side Scaling"
- Queues to 2
- RSSBaseProcessor on 2 in registry
I made your recommendations on the RTL8111F-CG chip (D-Link DGE-560T/D2A).
What has been done:
1.The driver remains the same (no changes).
2.I looked at the values of "limit" and "max limit" in msi- (1....4) - I had it like that.
3. In GoInterruptPolicy - changed the value to "IrqPolicySpreadMessagesAcrossAllprocessors"
4. Added a new parameter to the registry.
5. - Queues to 2
- RSSBaseProcessor on 2 in registry ...
x111.png
x111.png (55.77 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
It worked, I'm thrilled:D :D :D :D!!! The game has stopped freezing, the mouse has come to life! And it's on a $10 fee!!!!!! I'll test it again, I wonder if I'll get the same feeling on intel (225,226).
And now what should I do with the ASUS XG-C100C (ALQ1070) board? :roll: