[Ethernet Onboard-vs-USB-vs-PCIe] I finally found the reason behind my input lag after 6 years

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
eropsy

Re: [Ethernet Onboard-vs-USB-vs-PCIe] I finally found the reason behind my input lag after 6 years

Post by eropsy » 03 Jan 2023, 09:32

Hello. I have same problems input lag, mouse lag. Asus PRIME z270-k with intel 1219-V.

I always installed drivers from asus motherboard page, but this time i tried newest network drivers directly from intel and feel huge difference, mouse feels like it should.

I hope its not placebo

Yea, it was placebo. I guess ill just stop play competitive games
Last edited by eropsy on 05 Jan 2023, 07:51, edited 1 time in total.

Thatweirdinputlag

Re: [Ethernet Onboard-vs-USB-vs-PCIe] I finally found the reason behind my input lag after 6 years

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 05 Jan 2023, 04:21

eropsy wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 09:32
Hello. I have same problems input lag, mouse lag. Asus PRIME z270-k with intel 1219-V.

I always installed drivers from asus motherboard page, but this time i tried newest network drivers directly from intel and feel huge difference, mouse feels like it should.

I hope its not placebo
Give it a day or two :)
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 05 Jan 2023, 11:19

eropsy wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 09:32

I hope its not placebo

Yea, it was placebo. I guess ill just stop play competitive games
Did you try advanced configuration tab?

download/file.php?id=2990

delve

Post by delve » 05 Jan 2023, 18:04

it is not placebo, but there are a million of these tweaks that alter mouse lag/feel, you will have to live with it.

andrelip

Post by andrelip » 05 Jan 2023, 19:42

delve wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 18:04
it is not placebo, but there are a million of these tweaks that alter mouse lag/feel, you will have to live with it.
I agree. The interrupt moderation you definitely have a change in game feel, but no clear sweat spot. Off/minimum felt fast but harder, while extreme felt slow but easier. Very strange.

Bloedboer

Post by Bloedboer » 10 Jan 2023, 13:33

I discovered that there are more power saving options that can be disabled. Even if you disable the power saving options per device ( usb mouse and keyboard ) in device management.

If you go to device management and select view: devices by connection you can find the root usb hub(s). Even tho i disabled all usb power savings the controller itself was still unchecked and could save energy. I disabled this setting on the controller itself. When looking around i also saw Intel management engine could power down when needed. Disabled that aswell and noticed a different mouse feel.

I changed these settings two days ago and mouse movement is still the same. I also disabled xhci handoff but that was a few days before these changes. If anyone could try it out and let me know if it has any positive affect.
Attachments
Power management
Power management
A40031EF-AAE4-45DA-AD78-0E9C61D38ECF.jpeg (127.03 KiB) Viewed 6569 times

FINALLYFIGUREDITOUT

Post by FINALLYFIGUREDITOUT » 06 Feb 2023, 10:31

[Moderator Note -- Formatting removed]

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TRY THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

1.DOWNLOAD THIS (INTEL ETHERNET ADAPTER COMPLETE DRIVER PACK)
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... -pack.html
2.INSTALL IT

3.RESTART PC

4. PLEASE, COME BACK AND COMMENT YOUR RESULTS

SPECS: i7700K
Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON
GTX 1080Ti
16GB RAM
I219-V ETHERNET CHIPSET
Last edited by FINALLYFIGUREDITOUT on 07 Feb 2023, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Feb 2023, 22:27

FINALLYFIGUREDITOUT wrote:
06 Feb 2023, 10:31
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! problem has been for motherfucking at last been solved !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not the first time I've heard this. I've seen bad Ethernet drivers be the cause of latency.

I encourage looking into this low-lying apple if possible.

Be noted that this is not always the cause; there's many of causes.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

FINALLYFIGUREDITOUT

Post by FINALLYFIGUREDITOUT » 07 Feb 2023, 14:01

IT'S BEEN A DAY AND IT'S STILL WORKING!!! *************IT'S NOT ANYMORE :oops:

OK, I'll admit -I read OP's first post and skimmed the rest of the thread -I DID NOT SEE THAT A USER ABOVE KINDA DID THE SAME THING? and it 'worked' only to not actually work at all. ***yep :(

After my first post, like 15mins of zero problems, it came back. The floaty mouse, the bullets going through enemies, getting domed at first frame of seeing an enemy, packet loss icon despite 1gbps internet. I said "FRICK!" (but I really said "FFFFFFFFUUUUUUCK!!!!!!") *** :roll:

I don't know what gravitated me towards the Optional Drivers in Windows Update but I immediately went there. *** :(

There were several Optional Drivers; System - Intel drivers dating 1970 / misc drivers - Nothing I hadn't downloaded in the past to try to fix this problem before, but only didn't this time because I just clean installed windows again and hadn't given that a try again. *** :(

Well there was another driver that I don't ever recall seeing before I downloaded the driver pack from intel. It LOOKED LIKE; 3rd Generation 200/300/400/600 series somethingsomething PCIe something something but all I remember was "series" and "PCIe" *** :(

I said F it; I downloaded everything from Optional Updates > Drivers and IT WORKED. ***No :(

This is what I did upon my 23031285th clean install of windows 10

1. Downloaded NVIDIA GFX drivers from Geforce Experience - X
2. Downloaded only the Intel Chipset Driver from my motherboard download page - X
3. Downloaded the Intel Chipset Driver from Windows Optional Updates - X
4. Played around with all those BCDEDIT commands in CMD - X
5. Reset all those BCDEDIT commands back to default - X
6. Turned HPET off in BIOS - X
7. Turned HPET on in BIOS - X
8. Tried every combination of forcing HPET off/on in windows, useplatformclock yes/no, useplatformtick yes/no, disabledynamictick yes/no, tscsyncpolicy default/legacy/enhanced, HPET on/off in BIOS XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
9. Reset all those commands back to default, leave HPET to default ON in BIOS - sigh

------------------------------------------------------
10. Come across this thread - hmmmmmm OP has almost the exact same PC as me... with the EXACT same problems...
11. Download https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... -pack.html - ??YESSSsssnnNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
12. Download everything from Optional Drivers in Windows Update - YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! ***I'm sad :cry:

So - I don't know exactly what it was. Was it that mysterious driver that I didnt see before first downloading the Driver Pack, was it the System - Intel 1970 drivers, or any other MISC driver in there - I do not know. but I downloaded everything from the optional updates > drivers tab. And well - It's been working since. ***Not working anymore :cry:

I almost disregarded this thread because wtf how is an ethernet driver going to lag my mouse/stutter my game. The only reason I didn't was seeing OP having the near same exact PC. Same MB, same CPU, same annoying ass problem... for years. Everything OP said in his first post, the same. *** :(

If you ask me this is what you do; ***Dont ask me. I'm stupid. :cry:

download the intel driver pack -> restart PC -> check for updates -> download all optional drivers
(If this 'fix' ever craps the bed I'll report back) ***Hey it's me, reporting back. :cry:

If you want to chat/vent ---- feel free to add me on discord.
discord - BigBoss#9345

*********HUGE UPDATE**********

I've come to the only possible conclusion and that is that my computer is haunted. This issue always has me going up and down emotionally. FIXED!! no.... FIXED!!! ahhh no... it's back. I hate it. I'll post back if I ever find anything. Anyway. I'm tired.
Last edited by FINALLYFIGUREDITOUT on 09 Feb 2023, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 07 Feb 2023, 22:04

FINALLYFIGUREDITOUT wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 14:01
IT'S BEEN A DAY AND IT'S STILL WORKING!!!

OK, I'll admit -I read OP's first post and skimmed the rest of the thread -I DID NOT SEE THAT A USER ABOVE KINDA DID THE SAME THING? and it 'worked' only to not actually work at all.

After my first post, like 15mins of zero problems, it came back. The floaty mouse, the bullets going through enemies, getting domed at first frame of seeing an enemy, packet loss icon despite 1gbps internet. I said "FRICK!" (but I really said "FFFFFFFFUUUUUUCK!!!!!!")

I don't know what gravitated me towards the Optional Drivers in Windows Update but I immediately went there.

There were several Optional Drivers; System - Intel drivers dating 1970 / misc drivers - Nothing I hadn't downloaded in the past to try to fix this problem before, but only didn't this time because I just clean installed windows again and hadn't given that a try again.

Well there was another driver that I don't ever recall seeing before I downloaded the driver pack from intel. It LOOKED LIKE; 3rd Generation 200/300/400/600 series somethingsomething PCIe something something but all I remember was "series" and "PCIe"

I said F it; I downloaded everything from Optional Updates > Drivers and IT WORKED.

This is what I did upon my 23031285th clean install of windows 10

1. Downloaded NVIDIA GFX drivers from Geforce Experience - X
2. Downloaded only the Intel Chipset Driver from my motherboard download page - X
3. Downloaded the Intel Chipset Driver from Windows Optional Updates - X
4. Played around with all those BCDEDIT commands in CMD - X
5. Reset all those BCDEDIT commands back to default - X
6. Turned HPET off in BIOS - X
7. Turned HPET on in BIOS - X
8. Tried every combination of forcing HPET off/on in windows, useplatformclock yes/no, useplatformtick yes/no, disabledynamictick yes/no, tscsyncpolicy default/legacy/enhanced, HPET on/off in BIOS XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
9. Reset all those commands back to default, leave HPET to default ON in BIOS - sigh

------------------------------------------------------
10. Come across this thread - hmmmmmm OP has almost the exact same PC as me... with the EXACT same problems...
11. Download https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... -pack.html - ??YESSSsssnnNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
12. Download everything from Optional Drivers in Windows Update - YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

So - I don't know exactly what it was. Was it that mysterious driver that I didnt see before first downloading the Driver Pack, was it the System - Intel 1970 drivers, or any other MISC driver in there - I do not know. but I downloaded everything from the optional updates > drivers tab. And well - It's been working since.

I almost disregarded this thread because wtf how is an ethernet driver going to lag my mouse/stutter my game. The only reason I didn't was seeing OP having the near same exact PC. Same MB, same CPU, same annoying ass problem... for years. Everything OP said in his first post, the same.

If you ask me this is what you do;

download the intel driver pack -> restart PC -> check for updates -> download all optional drivers
(If this 'fix' ever craps the bed I'll report back - if not, it means it's still working like a charm for me. )

If you want to chat/vent ---- feel free to add me on discord.
discord - BigBoss#9345

Just a random thought here:

Is it possible that your ethernet driver "fix" is temporary- because Windows might be installing a newer version of that driver in the background without notifying you?

I had this problem with my PC. My MOBO has an Intel network adapter (different from the one mentioned in this thread), but it seems to work best with 1 particular driver from about 2 years ago. However, whenever I install that driver, Windows always automatically updates over my older driver with a "newer" version. This usually happens within 24 hours of using my PC with the older driver. I've tried numerous ways to stop automatic driver updates (regedits, Group policy, etc.) nothing seems to stop it. I'd rather not break Windows update functionality completely just to stop this 1 driver.