Bufferbloat on FTTH

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
triplese

Re: Bufferbloat on FTTH

Post by triplese » 05 Nov 2022, 12:35

Bufferbloat is existing only when link is full. When you playing and nobody downloading torrents at full speed - you will never see bufferbloat. Bufferbloat on ISP router is of out your control, so internet gaming is RIP. Thanks to youtube/netflix/instagram reels and other shit.

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 05 Nov 2022, 12:53

espresso wrote: Can you explain more in detail what you mean bypassing the company?
I offered a bribe to an employee. The official contract for the provision of services has not changed. Authorization and routing have changed, all traffic is processed as traffic for a commercial organization, and not as for an individual.
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

Anonymous768119

Post by Anonymous768119 » 05 Nov 2022, 13:06

1000WATT wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 12:53
espresso wrote: Can you explain more in detail what you mean bypassing the company?
I offered a bribe to an employee. The official contract for the provision of services has not changed. Authorization and routing have changed, all traffic is processed as traffic for a commercial organization, and not as for an individual.
And what this trick changed in gaming?

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 05 Nov 2022, 13:26

a_c_r_e_a_l wrote: And what this trick changed in gaming?
Today only short answers. Later I will try to provide more information.
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

Vocaleyes

Post by Vocaleyes » 05 Nov 2022, 14:09

Would a router with SQM be a solution for bufferbloat?

espresso

Post by espresso » 05 Nov 2022, 14:12

Vocaleyes wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 14:09
Would a router with SQM be a solution for bufferbloat?
No, for most gaming scenarios, they utilize like less than 1% of theoretical bandwidth.
They maybe make sense when you have 5000kbit speed and your roommates watching ponhub.

andrelip

Post by andrelip » 05 Nov 2022, 15:06

It's similar to my connection (Vodafone 1Gb) receiving A or B.
I had a second router, Ac68u, that runs the custom firmware (Merlin) that supports fq_codel.

I noticed that for 1Gb, the router could not sustain the QoS and the CPU reached 100%. I had to reduce the bandwidth to 25Mb, and now I can have A+ with 0ms.

triplese

Post by triplese » 05 Nov 2022, 19:24

andrelip wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 15:06
I had a second router, Ac68u, that runs the custom firmware (Merlin) that supports fq_codel.

I noticed that for 1Gb, the router could not sustain the QoS and the CPU reached 100%. I had to reduce the bandwidth to 25Mb, and now I can have A+ with 0ms.
On 1gbit/s speeds you dont need QoS at all.
And any consumer router cant do this at 2022, even 4-8 core ~2ghz dont enough for that packet rate. You can QoS about 250-300 mbit if your router can process packets in multicore.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Nov 2022, 20:05

triplese wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 19:24
andrelip wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 15:06

On 1gbit/s speeds you dont need QoS at all.
And any consumer router cant do this at 2022, even 4-8 core ~2ghz dont enough for that packet rate. You can QoS about 250-300 mbit if your router can process packets in multicore.
Depends on what others do. If the others do lots of downloads, then yes, even 1 gbit/sec still needs a bit of QoS.

You can do efficient gigabit QoS by using two separate routers.

One WiFi-disabled high performance router just for gaming, with only two devices connected to separate Ethernet ports.
- The gaming PC, directly by Ethernet, given highest priority
- The everything-else router (WiFi-enabled) to another port, given lowest guest-network-league throttled priority.

That way, router workload is kept very low for the gaming PC, and keeps the gaming router CPU lightly loaded with minimum local-side bufferbloat / minimum jitter.

Then you only need Ethernet-port-level QoS, which is extremely lightweight and low CPU overhead. This avoids CPU-hogging packet-level QoS, which is the problem you refer to.

Yes, cap your everything-else router to up to 20%-30% of your bandwidth during your critical games, then uncap to 80%-90% rest of the time. Downloading Steam games at 200-300 Mbps (20-30 MBytes/sec) is still First World Problems. Or even go further, cap to 10%.

You still have ISP bufferbloat to deal with, but then you don't have to worry about CPU overload on your gaming router!

That way, your roommate's 100 megabytes/sec sudden Steam download won't suddenly interfere with your game, downloading Cyberpunk 2077 in less than 15 minutes but wreaking havoc with your CS:GO game. Your roomies or family may still need to take longer to download stuff, but then your competitive games merrily play almost as if nobody else is online.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

triplese

Post by triplese » 06 Nov 2022, 09:51

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 20:05
Depends on what others do. If the others do lots of downloads, then yes, even 1 gbit/sec still needs a bit of QoS.
Almost all who started suffering from any kind of desync or "input lag" starting from turning off all clients from router or using direct connection to bypass router, and that doesnt help in like 99% of cases, so bufferbloat if you have 1gbit symmetrical connection is the almost last thing to worry about, and you can clearly see corellation between your homie downloading torrents and your lags.