Input lag on fullscreen

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Goddamn124

Input lag on fullscreen

Post by Goddamn124 » 10 Nov 2022, 14:56

So recently I just found out my all my games run better in terms of input delay on fullscreen borderless. I don’t what what it is but I’ve has this issue for over a year and never realized it. Fullscreen is just unplayable on mnk and controller. When I switch it to fullscreen borderless I notice that I can actually aim way better in every game. It is really as simple as that, but I can’t find a solution, since I see no one with this problem and I try searching every where already. Every game on fullscreen just like my cursor or controller can’t line up good to my crosshairs it is a weird type of input lag.

Things I have tried that haven’t worked:
V sync off in every thing
Disabled fullscreen optimization
Messed around with resolutions and aspect ratios
Changed isps(just bought new wifi not cause of this issue tho)
Changed mouses and controllers

Tried unplugging plugging in ports and cables
Factory reset my pc once and three times on my gaming laptop. It’s super weird I also have this issue on my laptop and when I also turn on borderless my game input feels better.

TheKelz

Re: Input lag on fullscreen

Post by TheKelz » 15 Nov 2022, 17:08

Same thing has been happening to me and I found out the solution is much easier than I thought. The very simple fix that actually helped me with this was to turn off FreeSync (AMD control panel) or GSync (Nvidia Control Panel). Yes, just turn it off from the panel completely (don't do it through monitor settings, it doesn't work, at least in my experience).

Boom, same input lag as borderless (only smoothness is lost though). I can't believe this was the fix this whole time and I tried everything except this. Let me know if this helps you.

Goddamn124

Post by Goddamn124 » 16 Nov 2022, 19:46

Ye I just tested turning off my gsync and it did nothing ;\ I also turned it off on my mointior settings. I get this problem on my laptop and pc. I also bought a new pc to test it and see if the input lag was gone on fullscreen but it’s still the same. I go no clue what it is, the new pc I bought and returned was brand new it can’t be any hardware issues to do with this. I also bought a 165 hz monitor like 2 months ago and still experience the same issue as my 60hz one. Also my laptop which is 120 hz also gets this. Atp every game is unplayable and I literally just might buy a ps5 because every game has been unplayable ever since I started pc gaming ;|

joseph_from_pilsen

Post by joseph_from_pilsen » 23 Nov 2022, 12:49

PC with controller may cause input lag just when the controller is connected even if not used, try hard disconnecting controller and running games with no controller support (e. g. -nojoy in csgo). Then write to us if it helped.

Goddamn124

Post by Goddamn124 » 24 Nov 2022, 21:26

Nah man it goes deeper than just a simple disconnect controller fix, I don’t even use my controller 80% of the time or have it plugged in. I cant seem to find anyone with this same issue. Atp I’m ready to give up and go back to console gaming xd

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 26 Nov 2022, 11:55

It sounds like DWM might still be on. When you change volume ingame on your keyboard, does the volume indicator show up on screen?

Goddamn124

Post by Goddamn124 » 27 Nov 2022, 01:27

Yes the volume is on the top left side on borderless and fullscreen when I adjust it on my keyboard

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 27 Nov 2022, 14:30

That is an indication that DWM is still on for that application.

Goddamn124

Post by Goddamn124 » 28 Nov 2022, 04:14

R6 is a game where I don’t get the sound indicator in fullscreen, but it stills unplayable on fullscreen. https://www.reddit.com/r/FPSAimTrainer/ ... ame=iossmf.

That Reddit source is what the aiming feels like since I can’t describe it well and this guy could.
I might try a default windows installation and install the graphics manually and not let windows do it

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 29 Nov 2022, 15:12

I would suggest making sure your computer is running in high performance mode, and not energy saving mode:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10724