Inconsistent mouse movement

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
JDoe

Inconsistent mouse movement

Post by JDoe » 13 Nov 2022, 05:21

OK, guys, let me explain my problem. Something is wrong with the mouse movement on my PC and that something makes playing competitive FPS games a really painful experience. To illustrate my words: I have 7k hours on record in CSGO and cannot go any higher than 3rd level Faceit. It got progressively worse over years but lately (like a couple of last weeks or months) everything became really bad. I constantly bottom-frag with 0.5kd and getting even 1kd is a real achievement for me now. I was a global elite previously and struggle on LEM now.
The problem is I cannot properly aim anymore. It is like I have lost all my muscle memory and reflexes. No flick shots anymore. If I move my mouse and try to stop the crosshair over the enemy head it always stops slightly behind or further so I have to constantly micro-correct my aim. Crosshair just floats around the enemy and I have to struggle with it. Same when playing online and offline with bots.
Okay, maybe I got older and just suck at games because of this but the strange thing is that sometimes everything reverts back to normal as before. And when it happens I know it right away because of the same feeling. It feels like the sensitivity got lower and the crosshair slightly lags before my hand movement but not in a bad way like when you have noticeable input lag. It almost feels like a negative acceleration of some kind. When the mouse behaves in such a way I can easily stop the crosshair right on the enemy's head without needing to correct my aim all the time. Unfortunately, it doesn't last long.
The last time when I could achieve this was today when I followed advice from some guy in the EMI subforum. I unplugged my PSU and hold the power button pressed for 20 seconds, then plugged it back, turn the PC on, and voila mouse behaves differently. Started the Aim Botz map and my aim is definitively better now (92 killed moving bots in two minutes before and 108 after). But it probably won't last long.

A Solid lad

Re: Inconsistent mouse movement

Post by A Solid lad » 13 Nov 2022, 11:17

This might seem excessive, but I know how important this stuff can be for one, and I think it's worth it: (I also have ~10k hrs on FPS games)

Manually backup everything you need on your boot drive (autoexec, ur music, pics, vids... screenshot ur most important program settings... etc, make the backups as manual as it gets, to rule out old "contaminated" cache and config files causing problems), ur gonna reinstall windows.
Store these files either on a USB or secondary drive.
If u have a separate drive for game installs, definitely wipe that as well, fresh game installs are part of the plan.

Now, before u reinstall windows, set up ur BIOS right:
Enable HPET in there, u'll disable it in windows thru cmd. (this is the best combo, don't disable in BIOS! it leads to sync)
Disable power saving (C) states, set slightly higher than required voltages.
Don't OC ur GPU, trust me... that shit gives very little extra performance in comp games like CSGO where ur CPU bound, and can cause exactly the type of sh*t ur describing. Not worth the hassle.
Constant voltage+constant clock OC your CPU if u want to OC at all. With slightly more juice than it needs.
Sometimes an OC can be stable and still cause shit like this, since not enough vcore/pch voltage.

Read these guides before reinstall:

-overclock.net r0ach guide:
https://www.overclock.net/threads/gamin ... e.1433882/

-Calypto's Latency Guide
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1c2- ... mrau4/edit

And look up Fr33thy's latest windows optimisation vids... lots of stuff he does will be innecessary, but just in case. Make sure ur not looking at older vids, as they have even more useless stuff and he explains slowly.

Take some hints from my messy txt guide I wrote for myself as help for my annual windows wipe:

Code: Select all

-disable UAC
-disable game dvr
-revo uninstaller portable for removing shit
-win10 remove useless Apps
-apply a High performance power plan... (Calypto's or Bitsum or Fr33thy...) to make sure no cores are parked, etc
-disable defender active protection
-autoruns disable useless shit (nvidia, etc)
-device manager disable: HPET, Wan miniports, .....IDK what, (check Calypto's guide)
-optionally disable hardware accel in discord/chrome/other browsers
-tweak services.msc.... TURN OFF: pagefile, search indexing, superfetch (check r0ach guide for more)
-Turn windows features on and off -->disable useless shit
-turn on msi mode for everything u can (create restore point before this, certain stuff will couse BSOD if set to msi mode)
-tweak bios...turn off unnecessary stuff, Virtualisation, c states, sleep states, turbo, etc...leave HPET ENABLED in BIOS, turn off in windows
-Apply MarkC mousefix + untick enchance precision in windows mouse settings
-Win button+r DELETE %temp% contents... also delete Appdata temp folder
-run ccleaner portable
-disable fullscreen optimization on apps (win10)
-OPEN CMD AS ADMIN: disable platformclock, platformtick, dynamictick, etc:

bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock
bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformtick
bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

-overclock.net r0ach guide:
https://www.overclock.net/threads/gaming-and-mouse-response-bios-optimization-guide-for-modern-pc-hardware.1433882/

-Calypto's Latency Guide
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1c2-lUJq74wuYK1WrA_bIvgb89dUN0sj8-hO3vqmrau4/edit

-RAM OC:
https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/master/DDR4%20OC%20Guide.md

Useful shit to install:

pc shutdown timer
fraps
7zip
audacity
autohotkey - volume script
firefox
chrome
brave
infran view 
freeDownloadManager (also torrent client) and/or qbittorrent 
keytweak
vegas
matrox / k lite codec pack (BUT avoid codec packs if you're not lazy, they increase chances of crashing in editing programs like Vegas)
ts3
virtualclone drive

CS:GO launch options:
-novid -nojoy -noipx -tickrate 128 -limitvsconst -softparticlesdefaultoff -nod3d9ex -noaafonts +mat_vignette_enable 0
Discord | Youtube | Twitch
Steam with a list of monitors & mice I've used/use.

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 24 Nov 2022, 01:56

JDoe wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 05:21
OK, guys, let me explain my problem. Something is wrong with the mouse movement on my PC and that something makes playing competitive FPS games a really painful experience. To illustrate my words: I have 7k hours on record in CSGO and cannot go any higher than 3rd level Faceit. It got progressively worse over years but lately (like a couple of last weeks or months) everything became really bad. I constantly bottom-frag with 0.5kd and getting even 1kd is a real achievement for me now. I was a global elite previously and struggle on LEM now.
The problem is I cannot properly aim anymore. It is like I have lost all my muscle memory and reflexes. No flick shots anymore. If I move my mouse and try to stop the crosshair over the enemy head it always stops slightly behind or further so I have to constantly micro-correct my aim. Crosshair just floats around the enemy and I have to struggle with it. Same when playing online and offline with bots.
Okay, maybe I got older and just suck at games because of this but the strange thing is that sometimes everything reverts back to normal as before. And when it happens I know it right away because of the same feeling. It feels like the sensitivity got lower and the crosshair slightly lags before my hand movement but not in a bad way like when you have noticeable input lag. It almost feels like a negative acceleration of some kind. When the mouse behaves in such a way I can easily stop the crosshair right on the enemy's head without needing to correct my aim all the time. Unfortunately, it doesn't last long.
The last time when I could achieve this was today when I followed advice from some guy in the EMI subforum. I unplugged my PSU and hold the power button pressed for 20 seconds, then plugged it back, turn the PC on, and voila mouse behaves differently. Started the Aim Botz map and my aim is definitively better now (92 killed moving bots in two minutes before and 108 after). But it probably won't last long.
This sounds like a mouse, mousepad, or graphics issue (gsync/vsync enabled)
Any difference between mouse raw input on/off? It's an ingame setting "m_rawinput" 1 on 0 off - most, but not all pros use this setting on 1.
Are you running the mouse drivers, or windows plug and play?

Coolhigh

Post by Coolhigh » 17 Dec 2022, 13:48

I registered to say this. Search Slender's post about mouse driver. It fixed my inconsistent mouse movement. I had the exact same symptoms as you.

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 19 Dec 2022, 16:59

Coolhigh wrote:
17 Dec 2022, 13:48
I registered to say this. Search Slender's post about mouse driver. It fixed my inconsistent mouse movement. I had the exact same symptoms as you.
Thanks for taking the time.
Discord | Youtube | Twitch
Steam with a list of monitors & mice I've used/use.