How to setup game with 240Hz monitor (w/o. G-Sync)

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
jorimt

Re: How to setup game with 240Hz monitor (w/o. G-Sync)

Post by jorimt » 03 Dec 2022, 12:03

Continuing convo from here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10737#p87434
CorvusCorax wrote:
03 Dec 2022, 08:42
I know that I can't eliminate tearing without sync, but as I wrote above you can make it less visible. For my case it is a 93fps for fixed 240Hz display panel without V-Sync. No idea why 93fps works BTW ;)
What you're attempting is to do is manually steer the tearline off-screen with a framerate limiter, which is exactly what G-SYNC does, just dynamically. RTSS Scanline Sync does it statically, but unlike G-SYNC, the framerate must be at the current max refresh rate for it to work.

The problem is, with framerates under the refresh rate, there is only one tearline, and it doesn't stay still, but continually drifts, hence the reason you can't eliminate it entirely in that scenario with your manual FPS limit without using V-SYNC.

Also, the the higher the refresh rate, the less noticeable tearing becomes, regardless of framerate.
CorvusCorax wrote:
But... I started doing some experiments with above settings and I eventually turned V-Sync on in nvcp (with framelimit in RTSS set at 93fps) on fixed 240Hz. It turned out that it works too, I have constant 93fps, no tearing, smooth frametimes on fixed 240Hz display panel and I don't feel any difference in input lag. I wonder how this works, why V-Sync behave different with framelimit. Any ideas?
As I stated in my G-SYNC article comment to you, not all V-SYNC methodology is created equal, and there can be variances in behavior, but honestly, if your framerate is below the refresh rate and you're using V-SYNC, there's going to be the occasional repeat frames and more latency compared to no sync or G-SYNC, period.

You're apparently just less sensitive to stutter. As for you not noticing the extra latency, this is due to the fact that the higher the refresh rate, the less latency there is with V-SYNC in this scenario:

What game/app are you testing 93 FPS 240Hz V-SYNC on specifically, and what are all your settings?
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

CorvusCorax

Post by CorvusCorax » 03 Dec 2022, 14:18

jorimt wrote:
03 Dec 2022, 12:03
Continuing convo from here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10737#p87434
CorvusCorax wrote:
I know that I can't eliminate tearing without sync, but as I wrote above you can make it less visible. For my case it is a 93fps for fixed 240Hz display panel without V-Sync. No idea why 93fps works BTW ;)
What you're attempting is to do is manually steer the tearline off-screen with a framerate limiter, which is exactly what G-SYNC does, just dynamically. RTSS Scanline Sync does it statically, but unlike G-SYNC, the framerate must be at the current max refresh rate for it to work.

The problem is, with framerates under the refresh rate, there is only one tearline, and it doesn't stay still, but continually drifts, hence the reason you can't eliminate it entirely in that scenario with your manual FPS limit without using V-SYNC.

Also, the the higher the refresh rate, the less noticeable tearing becomes, regardless of framerate.
CorvusCorax wrote:
But... I started doing some experiments with above settings and I eventually turned V-Sync on in nvcp (with framelimit in RTSS set at 93fps) on fixed 240Hz. It turned out that it works too, I have constant 93fps, no tearing, smooth frametimes on fixed 240Hz display panel and I don't feel any difference in input lag. I wonder how this works, why V-Sync behave different with framelimit. Any ideas?
As I stated in my G-SYNC article comment to you, not all V-SYNC methodology is created equal, and there can be variances in behavior, but honestly, if your framerate is below the refresh rate and you're using V-SYNC, there's going to be the occasional repeat frames and more latency compared to no sync or G-SYNC, period.

You're apparently just less sensitive to stutter. As for you not noticing the extra latency, this is due to the fact that the higher the refresh rate, the less latency there is with V-SYNC in this scenario:

What game/app are you testing 93 FPS 240Hz V-SYNC on specifically, and what are all your settings?
First of all, thank you for your answer, I appreciate someone trying to explain this to me.

I am testing this with Dirt Rally 2.0 and Nvidia Pendulum Demo.

The strange thing is there is no stutter (the frametimes on OSD from RTSS are constant, there is no spikes). Also I'm super sensitive for stutter, tearing and input lag (that's why I created this topic and ask where I can :)).

I will make some more test, maybe I'm wrong. I will try also get screenshots or even record some test in slowmotion.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 03 Dec 2022, 14:54

CorvusCorax wrote:
03 Dec 2022, 14:18
The strange thing is there is no stutter (the frametimes on OSD from RTSS are constant, there is no spikes).
The Afterburner/RTSS frametime graph does not pick up all forms of stutter. I.E. you can still experience display-side stutter without it reflecting on the graph.

To test standalone V-SYNC stutter, open an FPS game, reach an empty/inactive area, enable V-SYNC, set an FPS limit below the refresh rate, and use your mouse or a controller to slowly pan left or right. You should be able to see a recurring hitch every second or so.
CorvusCorax wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 15:38
The problem is I can't use G-sync because I have headaches and eyestrain (I know, it's strange).
What in particular is giving you eyestrain and headaches with G-SYNC? Because it was created specifically for the stated use case in your OP.

G-SYNC mode causes a few things when enabled that could affect motion perception; 1) while each frame scans in at the same speed as with a fixed refresh rate, regardless of framerate, the amount of times the monitor actually refreshes per second adjusts with the current framerate, 2) on G-SYNC Compatible FreeSync monitors without variable overdrive, there can be more ghosting artifacts at lower or fluctuating framerates due to the fact that the overdrive preset remains fixed, whereas a native G-SYNC monitor uses the module to dynamically adjust overdrive based on framerate, and 3) on some monitors, pixel inversion artifacts (fine vertical lines) can occasionally appear at lower framerates.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)