How to setup game with 240Hz monitor (w/o. G-Sync)

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
CorvusCorax

How to setup game with 240Hz monitor (w/o. G-Sync)

Post by CorvusCorax » 18 Nov 2022, 15:38

Hi,

I have a problem with Dirt Rally 2.0 and screen tearing/input lag. My monitor is Dell AW2521HF (240Hz and G-sync Compatible). The problem is I can't use G-sync because I have headaches and eyestrain (I know, it's strange).

FYI:
* I have stable framerates from 65 to 130fps (depends on track and weather conditions).
* The monitor must be set to 240Hz (no G-sync).
* There is no framelimiter in game.
* There is V-Sync in game and you can set framelimit for this option (59Hz, 119Hz and so on).
* I don't want reduce graphic settings for more fps (I love when game looks good).

And the question is how to configure my setup for low input lag and less screan tearing (low input lag is more important)?

CorvusCorax

Re: How to setup game with 240Hz monitor (w/o. G-Sync)

Post by CorvusCorax » 19 Nov 2022, 06:20

I searched a bit on the Internet, watched some materials on YouTube and came to these settings:

* I slightly lowered the graphics settings in the game so that the lowest possible value was around 85fps (max is 140fps).
* I set the frame rate limit in the nVidia Control Panel to 80fps (240Hz /3 = 80Hz).
* I turned off V-Sync in the game to avoid input lag.

As a result, the game runs smoothly (no screen tearing is visible), the graphics card is quieter and frametimes are very stable at 12.5ms.

My only concern is input lag. Now it's good, I don't feel any lag, but I'm wondering if there is anything I can improve in this regard?

Also, is setting the limit to 80fps on a 240Hz monitor a good idea?

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 20 Nov 2022, 03:22

Limiting your fps to 80 is probably the fastest and easiest fix. It sounds like this is working for you... getting the framerate input delay down to 6.25ms would require 160fps. This is just delay caused by framerate, there are other delays that stack on top of it.

Is your PC in high performance power profile? I would make sure steam controller input is disabled and under Device Manager the controller isn't allowed to save power. These have caused all lag on my system.

CorvusCorax

Post by CorvusCorax » 20 Nov 2022, 13:34

imprecise wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 03:22
Limiting your fps to 80 is probably the fastest and easiest fix. It sounds like this is working for you... getting the framerate input delay down to 6.25ms would require 160fps. This is just delay caused by framerate, there are other delays that stack on top of it.

Is your PC in high performance power profile? I would make sure steam controller input is disabled and under Device Manager the controller isn't allowed to save power. These have caused all lag on my system.
Oh, that's interesting. Thanks for the tip.

Despite a stable 80 fps and stable frame times, I see screen tearing from time to time. I wonder how V-Sync works if it is set to e.g. 60fps on a 240Hz monitor. Will it generate a delay or not?

CorvusCorax

Post by CorvusCorax » 21 Nov 2022, 05:32

Sorry for answering to myself, but there is so many question in my mind and I need someone to explain me how some things works.

To simplify my case I can condense all in one question:

What is the best solution to run a game with fixed 240Hz monitor to reduce input lag and screen tearing.

I searched solution in the Internet for whole weekend without success.

Please, help, I'm losing my mind. (it's not that bad ;))

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 22 Nov 2022, 20:16

Are you experiencing a specific problem, like unresponsive controls? Input delay and screen-tearing varies from game to game.
For a racing game, gsync or freesync on with highest smooth framerate should be enough for optimal performance. That's just a general idea though, and testing may be needed for better results.
and make sure those other settings are right:
computer not allowed to adjust power lower on peripherals, high performance power profile, steam controller input disabled

CorvusCorax

Post by CorvusCorax » 24 Nov 2022, 05:20

imprecise wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 20:16
Are you experiencing a specific problem, like unresponsive controls? Input delay and screen-tearing varies from game to game.
For a racing game, gsync or freesync on with highest smooth framerate should be enough for optimal performance. That's just a general idea though, and testing may be needed for better results.
and make sure those other settings are right:
computer not allowed to adjust power lower on peripherals, high performance power profile, steam controller input disabled
Hi, a few questions :)

1. What is Steam Controller input? Where I can switch it off?

2. When I set framerate limiter for 80fps (with monitor set to fixed 240Hz) it's better to turn on V-Sync in nVidia Control Panel?

3. In scenario with G-Sync ON with 240Hz monitor do I need to cap the framerate if the game generate max 85-140fps?

I don't have major problems with lag or screen tearing, but I'm still looking for the best solution and I just want to understand how it works.

I'm currently playing Dirt Rally 2.0 and this game requires really good responsiveness and every stutter or input lag affects the time achieved.

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 24 Nov 2022, 06:17

I had a lot of issues with spinouts in Assetto Corsa because of steam settings and power saving settings, especially when other players were nearby (online). I think the network packets were being prioritized over the controller inputs. I changed these controller settings and it helped a lot. The difference is significant and the cars handled much more responsively. I also decreased the force feedback frequency from 333hz to 60hz, I think.
controller.png
controller.png (290.3 KiB) Viewed 2265 times

CorvusCorax

Post by CorvusCorax » 24 Nov 2022, 07:16

Oh, thats interesting. Few days ago I checked "Xbox configuration Support" and it right away added input lag to my controller. I turned this off. But I dont turned off other settings. I will try this later. Thanks.

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 29 Nov 2022, 13:13

I forgot to mention before: Under Steam Library, right click on the affected game and go to properties, then disable Steam controller input from there.