Windows 10 Esports Quick Guide

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Ragerlis

Re: Windows 10 eSports Quick Guide

Post by Ragerlis » 29 Nov 2022, 23:17

imprecise wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 16:59
Network buffering: I've noticed less out-of-order actions when setting these to 128 each. This limits the buffer size, which in theory should limit spikes in responsiveness. Lowering it too much can increase the processing demand on the computer and networking equipment.

How do you know or/and are diagnosing "out of order actions"?

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 29 Nov 2022, 23:52

Ragerlis wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 23:17
imprecise wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 16:59
Network buffering: I've noticed less out-of-order actions when setting these to 128 each. This limits the buffer size, which in theory should limit spikes in responsiveness. Lowering it too much can increase the processing demand on the computer and networking equipment.

How do you know or/and are diagnosing "out of order actions"?
When 2 opposing players are trying to input their actions to the server, the one who makes the accurate action first should be rewarded. This often doesn't happen in the correct order, rewarding the person who reacted late due to some kind of networking delay. Often it's caused by difference in ping, but with the wrong settings it can happen at pretty much any ping. Please let me know if this explanation doesn't make sense.

InputLagger

Post by InputLagger » 30 Nov 2022, 14:39

nokr0n wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 12:46
I always appreciate these posts but honestly how many of these steps are really that pertinent? I feel like the mouse settings and nvidia ones is all you really need.
Check this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHSCFix09wY

This is how csgo major champions setup their pc. And you understand that right, there are almost ZERO tweaking here, just nvidia and pointer precise setting.

I think now, all your(and everyone reading this) questions are now resolved .

nokr0n

Post by nokr0n » 30 Nov 2022, 20:51

InputLagger wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 14:39
nokr0n wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 12:46
I always appreciate these posts but honestly how many of these steps are really that pertinent? I feel like the mouse settings and nvidia ones is all you really need.
Check this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHSCFix09wY

This is how csgo major champions setup their pc. And you understand that right, there are almost ZERO tweaking here, just nvidia and pointer precise setting.

I think now, all your(and everyone reading this) questions are now resolved .
Kind of puts into perspective that maybe some of these tips might just be a bit too tedious for even the most competitive players.

Tuhin Lavania

Post by Tuhin Lavania » 30 Nov 2022, 21:08

I have spent a lot of time doing all these stuff. bought new hardware, latest and greatest ( 13900k and a 4090 ).
tbh it makes some difference but its not too big. i play with friends who know jackshit about this stuff, they still have inhuman reaction times against me ( on same ping ) on their very unoptimized machines. Ive come to a conclusion that it all comes down to your internet connection. Some people are just lucky to have a connection which allows them to have a very big advantage over others in online gaming.

nokr0n

Post by nokr0n » 30 Nov 2022, 21:13

Tuhin Lavania wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 21:08
I have spent a lot of time doing all these stuff. bought new hardware, latest and greatest ( 13900k and a 4090 ).
tbh it makes some difference but its not too big. i play with friends who know jackshit about this stuff, they still have inhuman reaction times against me ( on same ping ) on their very unoptimized machines. Ive come to a conclusion that it all comes down to your internet connection. Some people are just lucky to have a connection which allows them to have a very big advantage over others in online gaming.
I was initially using a 1070 for over 4 years until I recently upgraded to 3060 TI. Can say that the latency is better for sure, my reaction time is slightly better due to the newer technology of the card. But it was nothing drastic.

Tuhin Lavania

Post by Tuhin Lavania » 30 Nov 2022, 21:54

nokr0n wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 21:13
Tuhin Lavania wrote:
I was initially using a 1070 for over 4 years until I recently upgraded to 3060 TI. Can say that the latency is better for sure, my reaction time is slightly better due to the newer technology of the card. But it was nothing drastic.

I was using a 5950X and a 3080Ti prior. Very good machine but my new intel rig with the new card is better, responsive than AMD. When i playd first 10 games, i was really happy on how responsive this machine is. But after a few games you get used to it and the wow factor diminishes untill you play on a less responsive machine.
But the problem remained. Enemies still prefire, their weapons seem to fire faster than mine. Superhuman reflexes. You can lessen some of these problem with all the tweaks that are mentioned in the forum ( BIOS settings help a lot, disabling power savings ) but overall the problem remains.
I once did a test regarding this. I have a friend who plays from UK, i play from India. We did a custom game in Halo with the Battle Rifle ( Note that the BR takes 3 bursts to the body and 1 to the head to get a kill in Halo ) I was on 150ms ping ( on a UK server ) and he, since he was playing from London, he was on 25ms. We both stood like 6 feet apart and on the count of 3, we both started firing each other to see who dies first. To my amazement, i could outBR him with my 25% health still remaining. That baffled me. Also note, we were not missing shots since we were standing very close and not moving. And we did this test multiple times. I could beat a 25ms ping player on a 150ms ping connection. My Battle Rifle was firing faster than his, or i dont know wtf happened. His connection is really bad even though he was on 25ms.
Internet connection matters the most.

naporitan

Post by naporitan » 30 Nov 2022, 23:28

Tuhin Lavania wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 21:54
nokr0n wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 21:13
Tuhin Lavania wrote:

I was using a 5950X and a 3080Ti prior. Very good machine but my new intel rig with the new card is better, responsive than AMD. When i playd first 10 games, i was really happy on how responsive this machine is. But after a few games you get used to it and the wow factor diminishes untill you play on a less responsive machine.
But the problem remained. Enemies still prefire, their weapons seem to fire faster than mine. Superhuman reflexes. You can lessen some of these problem with all the tweaks that are mentioned in the forum ( BIOS settings help a lot, disabling power savings ) but overall the problem remains.
I once did a test regarding this. I have a friend who plays from UK, i play from India. We did a custom game in Halo with the Battle Rifle ( Note that the BR takes 3 bursts to the body and 1 to the head to get a kill in Halo ) I was on 150ms ping ( on a UK server ) and he, since he was playing from London, he was on 25ms. We both stood like 6 feet apart and on the count of 3, we both started firing each other to see who dies first. To my amazement, i could outBR him with my 25% health still remaining. That baffled me. Also note, we were not missing shots since we were standing very close and not moving. And we did this test multiple times. I could beat a 25ms ping player on a 150ms ping connection. My Battle Rifle was firing faster than his, or i dont know wtf happened. His connection is really bad even though he was on 25ms.
Internet connection matters the most.
you're going this way.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9722

Tuhin Lavania

Post by Tuhin Lavania » 30 Nov 2022, 23:50

Spent a lot on this. Lastly I have ordered a ethernet adapter ( Intel i210T1 ) coz I've seen people swear by it. I'm almost sure it will do nothing coz by now I'm really exhausted trying everything. But since it was cheap i ordered it anyway. And I'm not someone who has recently started playing games. I've been playing FPS games since almost 25 years now. I'm not bad at these games, specially FPS's.
To everyone in this forum, i really suggest you not to bother. Time waste and waste of money. There are people who will still perform better on a shitty unoptimized system but on a great internet connection.

Kyouki

Post by Kyouki » 01 Dec 2022, 03:15

Tuhin Lavania wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 23:50
Spent a lot on this. Lastly I have ordered a ethernet adapter ( Intel i210T1 ) coz I've seen people swear by it. I'm almost sure it will do nothing coz by now I'm really exhausted trying everything. But since it was cheap i ordered it anyway. And I'm not someone who has recently started playing games. I've been playing FPS games since almost 25 years now. I'm not bad at these games, specially FPS's.
To everyone in this forum, i really suggest you not to bother. Time waste and waste of money. There are people who will still perform better on a shitty unoptimized system but on a great internet connection.
Highly doubt this to be the case for every single game in existence, all games work just differently and you just playing to play instead of chasing micro advantages is a better way forward. I like my mouse to be responsive, as well as my system overall but I found/find that it usually is very miniscule benefits you'd gain beside some more smoothing in the frametimes making the game more enjoyable to play/watch.

Now I just play games to play them and improve as I go without tweaking too much; each game is just very different from another and I wouldn't call everything on just an "internet connection" to be the determiner who wins or not.

Game performance is a lot more mentality rather than superb tweaked or tuned systems. Though like Chief says that those microseconds of latency in system responsiveness or monitors or every latency penalty can make a difference on higher refresh rates.

I am much more crucial in frametimings now then I was back on my 120hz monitor for instance.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6808
CPU: AMD R7 5800x3D ~ PBO2Tuner -30 ~ no C states
RAM: Gskill Bdie 2x16gb TridentZ Neo ~ CL16-16-16-36 1T ~ fine tuned latency
GPU: ASUS TUF 3080 10G OC Edition(v1/non-LHR) ~ disabled Pstates ~ max oced
Monitor: Alienware AW2521H ~ mix of ULMB/Gsync @ 240hz/360hz
More specs: https://kit.co/Kyouki/the-pc-that-stomps-you