Windows 10 Esports Quick Guide

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
imprecise

Windows 10 Esports Quick Guide

Post by imprecise » 25 Nov 2022, 15:10

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please see my updated guide here for Windows 10 and 11:
2023 Esports Optimization Guide viewtopic.php?t=11799

I spent a lot of time trying to find optimal settings without 3rd party software. Ultimately, I found turning off Parked Cores is nearly unmanageable without something like Process Lasso. Parked Cores is a major input lag generator, and it has become more difficult to turn off over time. Process Lasso also enables maximum power profile, and can save process affinity and process priority by application. These 4 abilities make it an essential tool in maximizing computer responsiveness.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Objective: Configure Windows 10 for optimal eSports gaming in less than 10 minutes. This guide is meant to address default Windows settings that are known to cause issues like delayed input and stuttering.

This guide does not cover the important categories of Services, Reg Edits, Monitor, or BIOS, but they are often required for a smooth gameplay experience. This is a quick guide of Windows GUI settings that can be changed back to default quickly and easily.

For more information, please see the expanded information below the instructions.

If you have old enough hardware, Windows 7 is probably better for gaming. Windows 10 added some processes that cause the game input/output to always be in competition with Windows for immediate priority. There are other applications like Discord, Steam, Epic, and web browsers that interfere as well.

The most important settings to change in Windows:
Configure network and peripherals
Disable power savings
Set application priorities - not in guide yet, but this is how:

Using task manager, under details tab, right click on game and set to high priority.
Set dwm priority lower than the game. Set other demanding apps lower than the game.
These reset when you restart PC.
There is software that can save these settings. I'm not sure if they are anticheat friendly though, and I'm not sure I can recommend software if it will put you in hacks vs hacks queues like I've been seeing.

1. Mouse
disable "Enhance Pointer Precision"
mouse.png
mouse.png (120.86 KiB) Viewed 14396 times
2. Power Management
Turn on High Performance Power Profile
power profile.png
power profile.png (74.95 KiB) Viewed 14396 times
3. Graphics Settings
Configure 3d settings, turn off gsync. Updated this to no longer recommend low latency mode after finding a bug that can drastically reduce performance.
nvidiaupdate.png
nvidiaupdate.png (130.25 KiB) Viewed 8304 times
Last edited by imprecise on 17 Mar 2023, 08:05, edited 7 times in total.

imprecise

Re: Windows 10 eSports Quick Guide

Post by imprecise » 25 Nov 2022, 15:11

4. Xbox Settings
Turn off Game Bar. Turn ON Game Mode.

5. Turn off power saving in Windows Device Manager (UPDATE: ADDED SEVERAL MORE DEVICES)
Open Device Manager. Find Mouse, Keyboard, Ethernet, Controller (and more!) and disable allowing Windows power saving. Check both sections as shown below.
power saving 2.png
power saving 2.png (128.31 KiB) Viewed 11628 times
6. Advanced Network Configuration: turn off offloading/power saving options
advanced networking.png
advanced networking.png (132.87 KiB) Viewed 14344 times

I could only attach 3 photos to first post.
Last edited by imprecise on 18 Jan 2023, 17:20, edited 6 times in total.

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 25 Nov 2022, 16:59

7. For controller users, disable Steam controller options and Windows power saving.
controller3.png
controller3.png (638.17 KiB) Viewed 11585 times
I found this useful website for checking to see if the controller is behaving correctly:
https://gamepad-tester.com/

Network buffering: I've noticed less out-of-order actions when setting these to 128 each. This limits the buffer size, which in theory should limit spikes in responsiveness. Lowering it too much can increase the processing demand on the computer and networking equipment.
network buffers.png
network buffers.png (18.83 KiB) Viewed 13376 times
Advanced Power Options. Above we turned on High Performance, but it appears some settings need to be manually adjusted within the profile. Turn off any RGB settings, and see the highlighted options below.
advanced power.png
advanced power.png (96.08 KiB) Viewed 13376 times
The testing process:

Like many people on the internet, I had a lot of input delay problems across multiple computers off and on for years. AMD/Intel, top of the line, medium tier all had the problems. It even became exceptionally bad to the point where every game was lag-induced torture. Example: CSGO, join official server for DM easily get top score, join a MM, top score in warmup, can tell other players aren't as good, then the game goes live and suddenly holding m1 in a duel feels like a slideshow, there's a random amount of delay on every input which is especially noticeable and problematic when switching weapons, and strafe jumping becomes really difficult to land more than 2-3 in a row.

I stopped using Discord because I could tell it was adding to the problem and went through massive amounts of audio troubleshooting testing nvidia/realtek/disabling sound completely. Over the past few years, I tried buying new peripherals, different network adapters, different ISPs, different power setups, bought a UPS, new network equipment, monitors, display cables, network cables, and even moved a few times. Buying this stuff helped a bit, but nothing was a fix and the major lag was still there.

Knowing the problem wasn't computer-specific, ISP-specific, location-specific, hardware-related, or power-related, I decided I would change 1 variable at a time until I found the problem, knowing this would take at least a few weeks to accomplish. I was also reading lots of posts across different websites by people experiencing similar issues, so I kind of had this guide in mind and stuck to the plan so I could document it and help others.

I guessed it could be account-related after eliminating all those variables. I did the Steam troubleshooting steps, like taking out all the workshop maps, completely dumping Steam and CSGO cache, making my account private in case those online stat keepers are somehow attached to it. This stuff did seem to help, but the issue seemed to quickly return and I know not many people are thoroughly keeping their cache clean in order to not lag, so it wasn't a fix. Plus when the game ran smooth years ago, I never had to do any maintenance on Steam other than an occasional cache verify.

The first thing I fixed was probably the controller (steps 5&7), or at least partially. In Assetto Corsa it felt like the car would be very heavy to turn and then completely lose grip unexpectedly, and recovering from the slide would be impossible if any other online players were nearby within like 100 meters. Windows was interfering with inputs through power-saving, Steam was interfering with "Steam Input", and I had to find multiple locations for both of these to be turned off. The difference here was extreme... The cars actually started feeling like cars when driving and I started noticing things like torque steer, where the wheels pull to one side under heavy acceleration. That wasn't happening when the controller wasn't working correctly.

I capped FPS in-game to 120 for consistency, and noise/heat is much better at lower FPS. This gives a pretty consistent 8.3ms screen delay, and eliminates large framerate variance, heat, and power draw as variables. I tested in-game across several competitive games: CSGO, PUBG, Assetto Corsa, Rocket League, etc. When testing different settings, I spent a lot of time watching net_graph to see when/where the spikes are happening. Most testing I do online in official servers, because that's where I experience the most problems. Since I was changing one thing at a time and doing a before/after comparison, I found a lot of stuff that helped a bit, but nothing that would fix the problem.

I found power saving kept coming back on (step 2), so I installed process lasso and set to max performance mode, while dividing up the cores to different processes. This turned out to be a waste of time and I eventually uninstalled it. I was able to get it to stay on high performance, but later had to go back through the advanced settings to make sure each power-saving option was off. I found more power-saving in Device Manager (step 5), and turned most of it off but later found the devices are duplicated and show up under multiple categories. Each time I changed these power settings I noticed an improvement.

After verifying the controller worked well offline in Assetto, I was still having trouble whenever other players were nearby, which indicated a network issue. I tried a lot of different things in networking (step 6), like different drivers made by intel and killer, along with their software. I found improvement by completely disabling the software services for these and running the driver only, and then found a bunch of power-saving settings and additional settings that aren't on the default NIC drivers. After adjusting these in Device Manager I noticed huge improvements, and later tweaked the transmit/receive buffers for even better consistency.

Stuff that's not in this guide:
I went through services.msc and disabled as much as I could. This helped a lot, but probably isn't for everyone to try. Game Mode ON is supposed to help with background services, and I have been testing it and it does seem to help.
I updated BIOS and chipset drivers. This is highly recommended especially on AMD.
In BIOS, I turned off all power-saving features and overclocking features. I read that AMD works best with a variable voltage, so I just left it to the motherboard. It runs at over 4ghz but the frequency constantly changes. Overclocking should not be on at all during troubleshooting. I turned off XMP and found it helped with periodic lag spikes... net_graph VAR would spike from 0.4ms to 20ms and then drop back to 0.4, causing a huge stutter/desync every 5-10 seconds. I wanted to use XMP because it's supposed to help memory timings, but it was causing problems. I remember seeing some discussion about XMP on a LTT video, where they said it almost never worked, and they test a lot of gaming systems.
I tried a few registry tweaks specific to AMD mouse input lag and networking priority, but not sure if those helped.
I changed one of the rails feeding the GPU, not sure if it helped. On GPUs it's recommended to feed each port from a different rail.
I disconnected any secondary monitors when gaming in Display Settings.

I started with a computer that felt like a very expensive brick that wasn't capable of gaming even when playing CSGO at 400+fps, to not even caring to play above 120fps. That's right, I'm still running a 120fps limit on most games on a 240hz monitor. I tested most of the settings across a few completely different computers and noticed big improvements on all the computers.

An expanded overview (beyond the 10 minute setup):

1. Enhance pointer precision causes the mouse to amplify the cursor movement speed depending on how fast the mouse is moving. This leads to extremely low sensitivity when moving the mouse 1-2 pixels in distance and extremely high sensitivity when reacting quickly to something. 99% of CSGO pros have this off, but it is a preference. Using the sensitivity slider will change the algorithm the mouse uses, and will feel different. Most leave the slider at default and adjust sensitivity on the mouse or in the drivers.

2. Power settings. By default, Windows has power saving on. The majority of this guide is locating those settings and turning them off.

3. Graphics settings. High performance power setting, low input delay settings enabled. G-Sync off to minimize stuttering and delayed input.

4. Xbox settings. GPU Scheduling allows GPUs to take over scheduling using dedicated hardware.

I'm considering removing Game Mode from the guide, as I have switched to ON (which is default).

*UPDATE* I've been reading about MPO, DWM, and Game Mode. In the past, Game Mode decreased performance except in rare situations. I think a year or 2 ago, Microsoft improved Game Mode input latency AND made DWM really hard to disable. I've been testing with Game Mode ON and it does appear to be doing its job of maintaining responsiveness. Going off test videos, the two settings provide almost the same frametimes. Going off feel, I'd say it's preventing some some occasional spikes in input delay (maybe ~20ms spikes). It's probably best to have it ON once you have determined it doesn't cause performance problems on your PC. It turns off some background Windows processes when it detects a game is running, and will affect games whenever DWM/MPO comes into play (pretty much always.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/ ... cheduling/
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers ... er-version
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... quirements

5. Windows power-saving in Device Manager. I went through and double-checked every device and found 29 devices with power-saving enabled. I have noticed immediate and large differences in input smoothness after disabling power saving on devices. I found Windows was even power-saving on a hardware security feature within the AMD cpu.

6. Network configuration. Several power saving options are on by default. There are additional settings I recommend disabling, allowing the network card to be unburdened by these additional tasks (e.g. offloading and priority). The transmit buffers are usually 512/128 or 256/128 by default, meaning your computer could receive a packet the size of 512 while only sending out 128. This ends up causing out-of-order actions and netcode issues like desyncing and bursting. I found 128/128 works well for a more consistent input/output feeling.

7. Controller: I've found Steam and Windows default to settings that interfere with the operation of the controller, and recommend disabling these "features".
Last edited by imprecise on 14 Mar 2023, 05:30, edited 13 times in total.

Slender

Post by Slender » 27 Nov 2022, 06:18

I don't even want to comment on it

Melkxz

Post by Melkxz » 27 Nov 2022, 10:25

Do you have a tiktok channel :lol: ?

Mr1991

Post by Mr1991 » 28 Nov 2022, 15:53

I use Enhance pointer precision on for extra accuracy.

naporitan

Post by naporitan » 28 Nov 2022, 17:47

imprecise wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 15:10
Objective: Configure Windows 10 for optimal eSports gaming in less than 10 minutes. This guide is meant to address default Windows settings that are known to cause issues like delayed input and stuttering.

1. Mouse
disable "Enhance Pointer Precision"
mouse.png
2. Power Management
Turn on High Performance Power Profile
power profile.png
3. Graphics Settings
Configure 3d settings, turn off gsync
nvidia.png
large send offload v2 - Enabled?

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 28 Nov 2022, 23:48

large send/jumbo frame probably not relevant to competitive games

nokr0n

Post by nokr0n » 29 Nov 2022, 12:46

I always appreciate these posts but honestly how many of these steps are really that pertinent? I feel like the mouse settings and nvidia ones is all you really need.

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 29 Nov 2022, 13:08

nokr0n wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 12:46
I always appreciate these posts but honestly how many of these steps are really that pertinent? I feel like the mouse settings and nvidia ones is all you really need.
That's a good question. I have similar feelings about gaming configuration, but I don't think Microsoft agrees with us. I'm trying to keep this as short as possible, kind of an ideal starting setup from which we can troubleshoot further, if needed. Unfortunately, I've found all these settings have a significant impact on gameplay.

I don't think someone playing a game designed for fair competition needs to be an expert computer engineer to achieve a good gaming experience. I think they should be allowed to focus on their development of teamwork skills rather than constantly trying to figure out why their PC isn't working right.