Scanline sync + Framerate limit. Why this works?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
CorvusCorax

Scanline sync + Framerate limit. Why this works?

Post by CorvusCorax » 28 Nov 2022, 18:11

I've read in various guides that Scanline sync doesn't work in conjunction with the frame limit.

I made a small test using the Nvidia Pendulum Demo program (A moving vertical strip test).

I used the slow motion mode in the phone camera for this.

It turned out that with a monitor set to a fixed refresh rate of 240Hz (no G-Sync, no V-Sync) I can achieve a tear-free screen with a frame limit of 90fps and Scanline sync at -1.

This also works great in game (for this example Dirt Rally 2.0). I have stable 90fps, no tearing and frametimes at ~11ms (no spikes)

How it's possible?

BTW
Why does no one on this forum recommend Nvidia Pendulum Demo? This great tool is a screen tearing troubleshooting tool.

1000WATT

Re: Scanline sync + Framerate limit. Why this works?

Post by 1000WATT » 29 Nov 2022, 04:47

CorvusCorax wrote:
28 Nov 2022, 18:11
I've read in various guides that Scanline sync doesn't work in conjunction with the frame limit.

I made a small test using the Nvidia Pendulum Demo program (A moving vertical strip test).

I used the slow motion mode in the phone camera for this.

It turned out that with a monitor set to a fixed refresh rate of 240Hz (no G-Sync, no V-Sync) I can achieve a tear-free screen with a frame limit of 90fps and Scanline sync at -1.

This also works great in game (for this example Dirt Rally 2.0). I have stable 90fps, no tearing and frametimes at ~11ms (no spikes)

How it's possible?

BTW
Why does no one on this forum recommend Nvidia Pendulum Demo? This great tool is a screen tearing troubleshooting tool.
Nvidia Pendulum Demo after alt + tab uses vsync regardless of the settings in nvcp. also this demo is very capricious about the driver version and shows different results.
tearing is better detected using rtss.
s.jpg
s.jpg (94.84 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

CorvusCorax

Re: Scanline sync + Framerate limit. Why this works?

Post by CorvusCorax » 29 Nov 2022, 05:27

Oh, that's interesting. Thank you for your response. I didn't know about this bug in the Nvidia Pandulum Demo. It seems that I hit the point with 90fps where screen tearing is very little visible, because in the game the image is really smooth and I thought it was thanks to Scanline sync. It's going to be another afternoon of testing ;)