mouse, smoothness and hitreg problem

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
exist1337

mouse, smoothness and hitreg problem

Post by exist1337 » 05 Dec 2022, 21:02

Hi guys, i want to ask what in your opinion can cause problems on my pc. I will describe it with csgo but it occurs in other games too. Every cs run it works different. Mouse once is working normal i mean it is not too fast and not too slow and once it is floaty like on higher sens so i cant hit anything. I play on polish dm, warmup eu dm and polish ffa servers. On polish dm with 18 players sometimes i just can play and other time it feels weird. While playing on warmup eu dm its just random, with few players on the server once mouse feels great and its easy to click heads and once mouse is just slow and hitregs are weird. The same server but with 19 people is mostly hard to play because mouse feels like on lower lod and different sens, maybe like changing from sens 0.8 to 0.6, dont know if thats a huge difference for other people but on my pc it is. Then, polish ffa servers with mostly something around 20 or 25 people. These are basically no fun to play on. Mouse once is slow and once its floaty, it cannot work properly on this type of servers, shooting feels laggy or stuttery, just not smooth, and hard because of broken hitregs. While enemies are rushing site fps drops from 240 to even 120, however even 120 fps is enough to play normally but for me it feels like 20 fps. Mouse and hitregs are broken there. And back to the polish dm, with like 6 players it managed to work very well, mouse was smooth and hitregs were working properly. I noticed that if theres any internet problems like loss and ping mouse feels more smooth than without it. Few days ago while my ping was weird because it was high but only on servers in my country Poland, i was playing on polish dm with loss and high ping and mouse feeling was excellent. As i said, in other games like fortnite it was the same, fps were playable but i basically wasnt able to play. Im using ethernet.

joseph_from_pilsen

Re: mouse, smoothness and hitreg problem

Post by joseph_from_pilsen » 09 Dec 2022, 12:11

Compare it at true servers, not at polish FFA, DM... I dont remember even one which doesnt have absurdly high server variance and trash server var.
The problem is that at primetime even warmupserver.net is laggy, sv is now currently 5ms at d2 servers and it stutters terribly + mouse is noticably behind server (i played dust2 few minutes ago and it was stuttering as hell).
Sometimes it helps to reboot pc (valve engine bug - the client desynces the more probably the longer the game runs, first game after reboot should be always the best). But sometimes it helps nothing because the server is the primal reason. Just by coincidence, at wase overpass the aim was trashy 1 hour ago and it helped to reboot pc (from 0.7 K:D before reboot i went to 1.7 and aim feeling incredibly light (huge diff)). But the first condition was met - game was bad with good server params (17 players only, 3ms max sv, no server var stutter) so i knew the server is not the reason.

1st check if the sv is max 3ms +-0.x and var 0.00x
If not = you cant say its at your end, its trash server (30 percent Wase Servers, 50 percent of faceit servers, all 128t DM servers except wase, all valve DM/casual servers, half of valve MM servers).

The same at faceit, there are good and bad servers. And the aim is very different then. Also good thing is to ban faceit anticheat from the CPU cores you use for game + system and set its affinity to only 1 extra virtual core with 0 performance. The anticheat will no more cause input lag. As it will do simply... nothing. No system resources, no messing around anymore.

Overpass and tuscan warmupserver.net servers are usually good for testing these issues as they are mostly running fine and are not full empty but also not full of players. If the things go wrong even there, you can start looking for problem at your end or at your provider (btw poland has terrible international connectivity to the rest of Europe, laggy as hell and its a 25 years old tradition...).

exist1337

Post by exist1337 » 09 Dec 2022, 18:24

joseph_from_pilsen wrote:
09 Dec 2022, 12:11
Compare it at true servers, not at polish FFA, DM... I dont remember even one which doesnt have absurdly high server variance and trash server var.
The problem is that at primetime even warmupserver.net is laggy, sv is now currently 5ms at d2 servers and it stutters terribly + mouse is noticably behind server (i played dust2 few minutes ago and it was stuttering as hell).
Sometimes it helps to reboot pc (valve engine bug - the client desynces the more probably the longer the game runs, first game after reboot should be always the best). But sometimes it helps nothing because the server is the primal reason. Just by coincidence, at wase overpass the aim was trashy 1 hour ago and it helped to reboot pc (from 0.7 K:D before reboot i went to 1.7 and aim feeling incredibly light (huge diff)). But the first condition was met - game was bad with good server params (17 players only, 3ms max sv, no server var stutter) so i knew the server is not the reason.

1st check if the sv is max 3ms +-0.x and var 0.00x
If not = you cant say its at your end, its trash server (30 percent Wase Servers, 50 percent of faceit servers, all 128t DM servers except wase, all valve DM/casual servers, half of valve MM servers).

The same at faceit, there are good and bad servers. And the aim is very different then. Also good thing is to ban faceit anticheat from the CPU cores you use for game + system and set its affinity to only 1 extra virtual core with 0 performance. The anticheat will no more cause input lag. As it will do simply... nothing. No system resources, no messing around anymore.

Overpass and tuscan warmupserver.net servers are usually good for testing these issues as they are mostly running fine and are not full empty but also not full of players. If the things go wrong even there, you can start looking for problem at your end or at your provider (btw poland has terrible international connectivity to the rest of Europe, laggy as hell and its a 25 years old tradition...).
Ive changed ram frequency from 2665 to 2400 and the next day on polish dm mouse feeling was so good, it wasnt floaty, hitregs were working, clicking heads was easy, just excellent, on polish ffa with just few people i saw difference too but later the same day on ffa with the same amount of players mouse was slow and hitregs were broken, warmup dm the same, broken mouse.

joseph_from_pilsen

Post by joseph_from_pilsen » 16 Dec 2022, 15:18

If you want some really valid intel, i really recommend to start always with net_graph 1 (and rivatuner if possible to see the graph of game smoothness). Then its possible to collect and mine some useful data. Mostly is the problem visible in net graph or in rivatuner statistics.
Its true that things can change with RAM clock, they can change with ANYTHING and impression is not the most accurate resource of data. Keep collecting screenshots with net_graph 1 and rivatuner statistics. Then you can make some useful and really fact-based conclusions.

I had similar issues, most of them were and are server sided, the only thing which really helped me in client was to fix fps to 237 at my 240Hz screen, and it wasnt impression only, it was confirmed by much flatter curve of fps graph in rivatuner without hiccups and microlags. For a price of slight input lag increase but still more won (stable aim) than sacrified (input lag). And i also confirmed that most servers are bad, almost every replay at faceit had stutter done by server (in server sided replay) or lagging lagcompensated opponent desynced players (diff client vs server position in replay at the same tick about 0.5-1 whole meter).

exist1337

Post by exist1337 » 24 Jan 2023, 10:23

16 Dec 2022, 15:18
If you want some really valid intel, i really recommend to start always with net_graph 1 (and rivatuner if possible to see the graph of game smoothness). Then its possible to collect and mine some useful data. Mostly is the problem visible in net graph or in rivatuner statistics.
Its true that things can change with RAM clock, they can change with ANYTHING and impression is not the most accurate resource of data. Keep collecting screenshots with net_graph 1 and rivatuner statistics. Then you can make some useful and really fact-based conclusions.

I had similar issues, most of them were and are server sided, the only thing which really helped me in client was to fix fps to 237 at my 240Hz screen, and it wasnt impression only, it was confirmed by much flatter curve of fps graph in rivatuner without hiccups and microlags. For a price of slight input lag increase but still more won (stable aim) than sacrified (input lag). And i also confirmed that most servers are bad, almost every replay at faceit had stutter done by server (in server sided replay) or lagging lagcompensated opponent desynced players (diff client vs server position in replay at the same tick about 0.5-1 whole meter).
What parameters should i check in rivatuner in cs? Was playing dm with just few people and it was playable but then joined on ffa and couldnt shoot cuz it feels so laggy and stuttery, same fps or maybe a little drop but still good cuz on map with bots it was smooth on this fps but there i think something makes gameplay weird while there is more people, internet or what? tried usb network adapter instead of ethernet

exist1337

Post by exist1337 » 24 Jan 2023, 10:24

16 Dec 2022, 15:18

What parameters should i check in rivatuner in cs? Was playing dm with just few people and it was playable but then joined on ffa and couldnt shoot cuz it feels so laggy and stuttery, same fps or maybe a little drop but still good cuz on map with bots it was smooth on this fps but there i think something makes gameplay weird while there is more people, internet or what? tried usb network adapter instead of ethernet

joseph_from_pilsen

Post by joseph_from_pilsen » 24 Jan 2023, 20:37

Look for frametimes graph. You can also limit FPS trough rivatuner (it has its own frame limiter which works similar like nvidia one) and bind it to keys /on off/ to see immediate ingame effect. Of course, for hardware elaborating, you can also watch CPU, GPU frequency, temperatures, voltage, power consumption etc. /then use it in combo with MSI afterburner/.

norter5

Post by norter5 » 13 Mar 2023, 04:43

24 Jan 2023, 20:37
Look for frametimes graph. You can also limit FPS trough rivatuner (it has its own frame limiter which works similar like nvidia one) and bind it to keys /on off/ to see immediate ingame effect. Of course, for hardware elaborating, you can also watch CPU, GPU frequency, temperatures, voltage, power consumption etc. /then use it in combo with MSI afterburner/.
How to restrict unoptimized GPU driver (usually reduces time frame consistency, sometimes causing stutter). I'm investigating if the culprit is causing the timeframe issue on my PC. For me and my AC Odyssey, it's a combination of an old game engine and a CPU.

holiday

Post by holiday » 13 Mar 2023, 15:56

exist1337 wrote:
05 Dec 2022, 21:02
Hi guys, i want to ask what in your opinion can cause problems on my pc. I will describe it with csgo but it occurs in other games too. Every cs run it works different. Mouse once is working normal i mean it is not too fast and not too slow and once it is floaty like on higher sens so i cant hit anything. I play on polish dm, warmup eu dm and polish ffa servers. On polish dm with 18 players sometimes i just can play and other time it feels weird. While playing on warmup eu dm its just random, with few players on the server once mouse feels great and its easy to click heads and once mouse is just slow and hitregs are weird. The same server but with 19 people is mostly hard to play because mouse feels like on lower lod and different sens, maybe like changing from sens 0.8 to 0.6, dont know if thats a huge difference for other people but on my pc it is. Then, polish ffa servers with mostly something around 20 or 25 people. These are basically no fun to play on. Mouse once is slow and once its floaty, it cannot work properly on this type of servers, shooting feels laggy or stuttery, just not smooth, and hard because of broken hitregs. While enemies are rushing site fps drops from 240 to even 120, however even 120 fps is enough to play normally but for me it feels like 20 fps. Mouse and hitregs are broken there. And back to the polish dm, with like 6 players it managed to work very well, mouse was smooth and hitregs were working properly. I noticed that if theres any internet problems like loss and ping mouse feels more smooth than without it. Few days ago while my ping was weird because it was high but only on servers in my country Poland, i was playing on polish dm with loss and high ping and mouse feeling was excellent. As i said, in other games like fortnite it was the same, fps were playable but i basically wasnt able to play. Im using ethernet.
do you use launch options? Do you use rawinput?

exist1337

Post by exist1337 » 13 Mar 2023, 18:45

holiday wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 15:56
exist1337 wrote:
05 Dec 2022, 21:02
do you use launch options? Do you use rawinput?
i use but dont think thats the problem and obviously checked mouse settings