Input lag tweaks for amd/amd set-up

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
FPSMaster

Re: Input lag tweaks for amd/amd set-up

Post by FPSMaster » 09 Dec 2022, 06:51

Sebichek45 wrote:
08 Dec 2022, 20:55
schizobeyondpills wrote:
08 Dec 2022, 07:02
FPSMaster wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 08:46
Also you might wanna enable CPU Spread Spectrum, if it works with your Bios Configuration. It has zero impact on performance and makes sure your CPU wont cause EMI (electro magnetic interference). It helps the most on CPUs like you have. Some Tweakers say it will introduce input lag, but thats straight up BS. Because all it do is taking maybe 5-10mhz clock speed.
frequency jitter is far more perceivable than raw drop in 5-10mhz, also due to scaling of butterfly effect spread spectrum variation delays everything else, its not BS.

so I should disable spread spectrum and lock cpu clock in bios?
Really no reason to disable it. There are tests shown that it doesnt even increase lag by sub millisecond numbers. Just lock your CPU clock speeds and enable Spread Spectrum. Just to be safe from CPU Emi.

MegaMelmek

Post by MegaMelmek » 09 Dec 2022, 09:22

FPSMaster wrote: ↑
Most Input Lag is caused by your GPU, Monitor, Mouse and Keyboard. Then Comes CPU (If you have a bad CPU) and then after all that comes Windows, Timers etc. (which have a very small impact on latency).

Your GPU/FPS is the main reason! So, you wanna do everything to optimize the GPU/FPS. In many tests shown, your GPU will cause TONS of lag when its maxed out (95%-100% Usage). When your GPU is maxed out, your CPU will render more Frames then your GPU needs and it will store Frames in a Buffer, which will cause Noticable Lag.
There are 3 Things you can do to avoid this and safe minimum 10-20ms Lag!!! (on older setups even more)

How can 3060ti max out on CSGO thats only game i play- so i think your theory is real wrong way

FPSMaster

Post by FPSMaster » 09 Dec 2022, 09:31

MegaMelmek wrote:
09 Dec 2022, 09:22
FPSMaster wrote: ↑
Most Input Lag is caused by your GPU, Monitor, Mouse and Keyboard. Then Comes CPU (If you have a bad CPU) and then after all that comes Windows, Timers etc. (which have a very small impact on latency).

Your GPU/FPS is the main reason! So, you wanna do everything to optimize the GPU/FPS. In many tests shown, your GPU will cause TONS of lag when its maxed out (95%-100% Usage). When your GPU is maxed out, your CPU will render more Frames then your GPU needs and it will store Frames in a Buffer, which will cause Noticable Lag.
There are 3 Things you can do to avoid this and safe minimum 10-20ms Lag!!! (on older setups even more)

How can 3060ti max out on CSGO thats only game i play- so i think your theory is real wrong way
We never talked about CS GO. If you speak for yourself, and youre experiencing heavy lag in CS GO of course there can be other reasons too. But 95% of the time these points are the main reason why people experience lag. Go play on a GTX1050 on a 60hz office monitor and see it for yourself. Hardware and the right configurations have simply the biggest affect on Lag.

Sebichek45

Post by Sebichek45 » 09 Dec 2022, 09:59

FPSMaster wrote:
09 Dec 2022, 06:51
Sebichek45 wrote:
schizobeyondpills wrote:
FPSMaster wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 08:46
Also you might wanna enable CPU Spread Spectrum, if it works with your Bios Configuration. It has zero impact on performance and makes sure your CPU wont cause EMI (electro magnetic interference). It helps the most on CPUs like you have. Some Tweakers say it will introduce input lag, but thats straight up BS. Because all it do is taking maybe 5-10mhz clock speed.
frequency jitter is far more perceivable than raw drop in 5-10mhz, also due to scaling of butterfly effect spread spectrum variation delays everything else, its not BS.

Really no reason to disable it. There are tests shown that it doesnt even increase lag by sub millisecond numbers. Just lock your CPU clock speeds and enable Spread Spectrum. Just to be safe from CPU Emi.

Okay thanks. Also if it helps, my pc “feels” smoother at night. Does that mean anything? How can I check if it actually is? Can I run an app that can also check why stutters happen?

I noticed while playing valorant in native capped at 300, it usually drops to ~290ish for no reason even when I’m just stading still. When I tried to make my gpu work by setting msaa 2x or aa 4x it felt just a bit less stuttery.

Sebichek45

Post by Sebichek45 » 09 Dec 2022, 10:07

Also, I have locked my gpu clocks using msi afterburner and morepowertool. Amd gpus have issues in valorant because it doesnt utilize much of the gpu. It goes from 800 - 1500mhz consistently so I just kept it at 1600. I raised poower limit and made fans in auto mode.

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 09 Dec 2022, 15:19

Sebichek45 wrote:
05 Dec 2022, 23:07
- receive/transmit - 1024/2048
BIOS:
XMP - enabled
I've been experimenting with receive/transmit in Rocket League and other games. Default is 128/512 on my adapter. I switched to 128/128 when I noticed a lot of out-of-order actions and immediately noticed a more consistent experience. I tested 32/512 and noticed lots of pause/burst action online, where server and client would desync and then catch back up.

I see you have a 2.5gbps port, but it's unlikely you're using the full 2.5gbps. I would recommend setting to 1gbit and then lowering to receive/transmit to 128/128. Do this all together and test to see if you notice a difference. If you are using the 2.5gbps, I would still recommend trying this to see if there's a difference.

XMP: I recommend turning it off until you find a smooth experience, and then experiment with turning it back on. Most RAM does not do well with it.

*Oops I mixed up this thread with another one, edited wording on XMP.*
Last edited by imprecise on 09 Dec 2022, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

FPSMaster

Post by FPSMaster » 09 Dec 2022, 17:36

Sebichek45 wrote:
09 Dec 2022, 09:59
FPSMaster wrote:
Sebichek45 wrote:
schizobeyondpills wrote:

Okay thanks. Also if it helps, my pc “feels” smoother at night. Does that mean anything? How can I check if it actually is? Can I run an app that can also check why stutters happen?

I noticed while playing valorant in native capped at 300, it usually drops to ~290ish for no reason even when I’m just stading still. When I tried to make my gpu work by setting msaa 2x or aa 4x it felt just a bit less stuttery.
Just use Riva Tuner Statistics Server (RTSS) to show your GPU Usage, CPU Usage, Temps, FPS and Frametimes in Game.
Because you wrote youre experiencing stutters. Just see if there are big stutter spikes. Note that every System get stutters, but the question is, how abnormal they are.
You also wrote that you get stutters even when standing still in valorant. A drop from 300-290 isn't bad, but its not optimal.
Maybe Valorant has a bad Frame Limiter which doesn't consistently cap your FPS to a flat number. (Many games have bad Frame Limiters, even AAA titles) Try capping your FPS trough RTSS and see if the Problem still persists.
Also of course is your game installed on an SSD?

Sebichek45

Post by Sebichek45 » 10 Dec 2022, 01:32

imprecise wrote:
09 Dec 2022, 15:19
Sebichek45 wrote:
05 Dec 2022, 23:07
- receive/transmit - 1024/2048
BIOS:
XMP - enabled
I've been experimenting with receive/transmit in Rocket League and other games. Default is 128/512 on my adapter. I switched to 128/128 when I noticed a lot of out-of-order actions and immediately noticed a more consistent experience. I tested 32/512 and noticed lots of pause/burst action online, where server and client would desync and then catch back up.

I see you have a 2.5gbps port, but it's unlikely you're using the full 2.5gbps. I would recommend setting to 1gbit and then lowering to receive/transmit to 128/128. Do this all together and test to see if you notice a difference. If you are using the 2.5gbps, I would still recommend trying this to see if there's a difference.

XMP: I recommend turning it off until you find a smooth experience, and then experiment with turning it back on. Most RAM does not do well with it.

*Oops I mixed up this thread with another one, edited wording on XMP.*

Isn’t buffers supposed to be the higher the better but more memory consumption? Also I’ve tried 128/128 and it was ok. Now, I am trying 512/512 if its better.

Sebichek45

Post by Sebichek45 » 10 Dec 2022, 02:15

FPSMaster wrote:
09 Dec 2022, 17:36
Sebichek45 wrote:
09 Dec 2022, 09:59
FPSMaster wrote:
Sebichek45 wrote:

Just use Riva Tuner Statistics Server (RTSS) to show your GPU Usage, CPU Usage, Temps, FPS and Frametimes in Game.
Because you wrote youre experiencing stutters. Just see if there are big stutter spikes. Note that every System get stutters, but the question is, how abnormal they are.
You also wrote that you get stutters even when standing still in valorant. A drop from 300-290 isn't bad, but its not optimal.
Maybe Valorant has a bad Frame Limiter which doesn't consistently cap your FPS to a flat number. (Many games have bad Frame Limiters, even AAA titles) Try capping your FPS trough RTSS and see if the Problem still persists.
Also of course is your game installed on an SSD?

yes the game is in my ssd along with my os. I will try capping with rtss and update you.

hugov2

Post by hugov2 » 10 Dec 2022, 03:44

While FPS is capped with RTSS within VRR range, does anti-lag and enhanced sync increase input lag? GPU is nowhere near being maxed out.