Maybe I found the source of my input lag

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Future

Maybe I found the source of my input lag

Post by Future » 06 Dec 2022, 12:33

Hello everyone, I'm struggling from the same problem like most of you here - input lag. You're probably gonna ask me when it all started, but honestly I don't even remember because it was too long ago. I would also post specs of my systems, but they don't matter at all, since it happens on all of them. It happens online and on LAN, doesn't matter if internet adapter is disabled/enabled, or if Ethernet cable is plugged/unplugged.

Here are the symptoms that I have and what I define as "input lag":

1. Heavy feeling in every game, much more noticeable in FPS games such as CS and Valorant (I feel like my player is a sumo wrestler).
2. My inputs from both keyboard and mouse are delayed - pretty noticeable when I try to rapid fire with gun or when I'm strafing, bunny hop is a mirage.
3. It takes like forever to have a recoil reset after shooting, playing with dynamic crosshair is impossible.
4. Mouse movement is not snappier as it should be, noticeable everywhere, even on desktop.
5. Nighttime becomes slightly better.

Here is what I've tried:

1. Everything

Long story short, my headphones are the cause of my input lag. Either the headphones or the interferance because of them. For the past two weeks, whenever I unplug my headphones and plug them back, the sympthoms dissapear for different periods of time. Already tested on three systems at home, same symptoms on all of them and same fix - unplugging the headphones, straighten the cable since it's paracord and plugging them back after 1 minute. Then the symptoms above are fixed plus I have sharp and clear sound. As I already noticed, nighttime becomes slightly better and when that happens my sound is sharp and clear, but not as much as when I do the so called "fix of mine". When input lag hits the most, my sound is deaf asf. Another thing i noticed while testing on my second pc is that with the same headphones connected and with muted sound in windows, I still hear noise in the headphones. While moving my mouse I can hear in the headphones how it works, literally. It's like I am hearing in the headphones how my CPU sends the signals of my mouse movement to the headphones, idk how to describe it because its really weird. And I repeat, all that happens with muted sound in windows, just connected headphones in the jack but no sound.

imprecise

Re: Maybe I found the source of my input lag

Post by imprecise » 09 Dec 2022, 14:34

Hi Future, this sounds like it could be audio drivers. Do you plug your headphones directly into the motherboard or through your monitor?