Video of the impact Discord can have on 8k polling mice

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
phx

Re: Video of the impact Discord can have on 8k polling mice

Post by phx » 10 Dec 2022, 05:15

Vocaleyes wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 16:54
As you can see, 8k is unusable when discord is open or minimised.

phpBB [video]
AMD GPU issue (6800 xt tested), completely disabling all overlays will improve the situation, but will not fix it completely, buy nvidia.

Code: Select all

Win11.22H2 + USB3.2 + NVIDIA GPU (1060 / 3060 TI / 4080) + INTEL (10850k) or AMD CPU (5800x) 8khz works fine in games (valorant, league of legends, apex, fortnite)

Vocaleyes

Post by Vocaleyes » 10 Dec 2022, 07:42

Unfortunately for me, minimising the app doesn’t alleviate this particular issue. Only once process is terminated.

In the video you can see the moments I alt tab, 1st was to launch discord, 2nd was to minimise to tray and 3rd was when I quit the app.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Dec 2022, 17:54

kokkatc wrote:
09 Dec 2022, 14:46
It's funny you talk about this because I'm blown away it's not discussed more often. Discord is currently incredibly bugged where CPU usage will spike to 10-20%+ if you spam your mouse movement and the discord window is open on the desktop or minimized to the task bar.
1. Configure your mouse utility to reduce pollrate to 125 Hz or 500 Hz whenever Discord is the active window.
2. Also reduce process priority of Discord to 1 level lower, use a utility to make that persistent.

These two changes helps massive.

(It's an annoyance to use these workarounds, but the workarounds works fantastically)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

kokkatc

Post by kokkatc » 22 Dec 2022, 15:23

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
10 Dec 2022, 17:54
kokkatc wrote:
09 Dec 2022, 14:46
It's funny you talk about this because I'm blown away it's not discussed more often. Discord is currently incredibly bugged where CPU usage will spike to 10-20%+ if you spam your mouse movement and the discord window is open on the desktop or minimized to the task bar.
1. Configure your mouse utility to reduce pollrate to 125 Hz or 500 Hz whenever Discord is the active window.
2. Also reduce process priority of Discord to 1 level lower, use a utility to make that persistent.

These two changes helps massive.

(It's an annoyance to use these workarounds, but the workarounds works fantastically)
Ahhh, good tips. I definitely don't want to sacrifice 1000hz polling on my mouse but I'll give the process priority a go. If discord is closed to the task tray, no spike in CPU usage, so that's the solution on my end.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Dec 2022, 01:05

kokkatc wrote:
22 Dec 2022, 15:23
Ahhh, good tips. I definitely don't want to sacrifice 1000hz polling on my mouse but I'll give the process priority a go. If discord is closed to the task tray, no spike in CPU usage, so that's the solution on my end.
I meant configure the mouse to dynamically go 500Hz when you Alt+Tab to Discord and go back to 1000Hz+ when you Alt+Tab back.

Basically a process-specific pollrate!

Some gaming mice software lets you do that.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!