Mouse input lag/ floaty and heavy help/discussion :)

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
imprecise

Re: Mouse input lag/ floaty and heavy help/discussion :)

Post by imprecise » 03 Jan 2023, 12:31

Montilora wrote:
02 Jan 2023, 02:25
imprecise wrote:
01 Jan 2023, 20:07
Montilora wrote:
18 Dec 2022, 21:35
Hi, ive been having this Mouse delay floaty heavy feeling issue for a long time now. My PC specs are AMD Ryzen 7 5800x 3.8GHz Processor |
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070Ti Graphics 8GB GDDR6X | 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM MotherBoard x570 Steel Legend. I live in US,ohio i say this because i know some people have issues that are caused by area they live in so i put this aswell :).

I had a previous pc with decent specs and had thought dropping under 120 fps had caused the input lag/delay feeling. After buying a new pc and more learning i realized this was not the cause.

Doing certain things like deleting drivers and reinstalling can make it feel better for short time, sometimes it doesn't make it feel better. Full windows reinstall can make it feel good for whole day but then it goes back. The thing is, no matter what i do, it can feel better then it goes back. I just bought a good serge protector that also has grounded protection. My pc felt different and i was happy but it didn't feel how i thought it should, but none the less any progress made me happy as i would be able to play better. It felt good for 20min then it went back to horrible slow delayed heavy feeling.

Having this issue makes me depressed because i know what i am capable of and i want to see what more i could do and what level i could compete against. It sucks not being able to fulfil my full potential and i am scared i will never fix this and will never be able to show my full potential.

I deeply feel for people who were never able to find a fix. But i will do whatever it takes to find a fix and i hope we can all find a fix for our issues and can show what we are capable of because it is not fair to us if we cant. If you want to message me my discord is m o n t i#1937, i would love to talk with anyone and our similar pc issues :). Don't give up because I wont and you shouldn't. DONT GIVE UP!
Do you have Valorant installed? I just happened to open it yesterday, didn't even login, and now I'm unable to play any games without feeling like the mouse is asleep on first movement, and then overshoots right as I'm letting off the movement to click something. I can tell even when just doing stuff on the desktop as well.

I probably only played it 1-2 days since installing it 3 months ago, and in Apps & Features it's showing a size of 2.33TB. I checked the folder C:\Riot Games\Valorant and it's only 28GB, so it must be scanning data and storing it temporarily... and I haven't even been playing it.
funny you say this, one of my main and WORST feeling games is valorant
I uninstalled Valorant... still having issues. I updated my mouse firmware yesterday, which seemed to help, but then today it was the same issue again. It really feels like I'm interacting with a window that is a constantly fluctuating 1-10ms different from what I see. If I click and drag Steam Friends around the desktop, the mouse cursor desyncs from the top of the window. Now I'm testing this MPO "fix" and it seems to be helping:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/y ... fixed_all/

Oh I should mention that I tried a different mouse and it was also having the weird feeling.

Mentucius

Post by Mentucius » 04 Jan 2023, 14:29

ZINZIRIO wrote:
02 Jan 2023, 06:03
Mentucius wrote:
01 Jan 2023, 17:11
With the building area where u live??? I have been like in 7 diferents places in the country I live, even in the same city in diferents apartment. I have traveled to other countries like UK and germany and always the same input lag (and with diferents pc). So tell me how this should be an issue of building area where u live tell me. And how u re sure it’s not big electronic companies that have the monopolium of all this, it’s problem of electrical provider companies maybe?? in diferents countries?? tell me
mmmmmm this is very rare that anywhere works well for you? Too strange, won't you be the problem? Any static charge or something like that? It seems too strange to me that it doesn't work correctly anywhere.
For me is strange too but what can i do…if u say it’s us with static charge or something xddd this make the issue just more frustrated

masneb

Post by masneb » 05 Jan 2023, 23:09

Something that I found helped me immensely while playing Overwatch2 is turning off CPPC and CPPC Preferred Cores in the bios. I have a 5900x and while those two options were made to make Windows more aware of your faster cores, Windows thread scheduler is stupid and loads up your fastest cores with all sorts of garbage. This leads to thread contention and even if the game is using the fastest cores, a lot of other things in your OS also are doing this while other cores sit idle.

Intel tried to directly address this with the Thread Director. While W11 has some band aid fixes to make the >12k series work better, it's really the TD that helps things work more fluidly as Intel takes as much responsibility out of the OSs hands as possible. AMD doesn't have anything like the TD.

Windows should load your fastest cores down with the foreground process and then load your slowest cores up with all the background tasks, yet it doesn't do this. You need to use CPPC on the 3XXX series to have reasonable performance due to CCD layout, but it works against the 5XXX series and newer.

I would be curious to hear what this does for you.

Montilora

Post by Montilora » 13 Jan 2023, 23:12

masneb wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 23:09
Something that I found helped me immensely while playing Overwatch2 is turning off CPPC and CPPC Preferred Cores in the bios. I have a 5900x and while those two options were made to make Windows more aware of your faster cores, Windows thread scheduler is stupid and loads up your fastest cores with all sorts of garbage. This leads to thread contention and even if the game is using the fastest cores, a lot of other things in your OS also are doing this while other cores sit idle.

Intel tried to directly address this with the Thread Director. While W11 has some band aid fixes to make the >12k series work better, it's really the TD that helps things work more fluidly as Intel takes as much responsibility out of the OSs hands as possible. AMD doesn't have anything like the TD.

Windows should load your fastest cores down with the foreground process and then load your slowest cores up with all the background tasks, yet it doesn't do this. You need to use CPPC on the 3XXX series to have reasonable performance due to CCD layout, but it works against the 5XXX series and newer.

ill give this a shot soon (:

timetraveller

Post by timetraveller » 14 Jan 2023, 09:28

masneb wrote:

5600x here. i could say i felt a difference in terms of responsiveness/fps drops but it wasn't big enough to allow excluding being placebo

Sebichek45

Post by Sebichek45 » 17 Jan 2023, 09:55

timetraveller wrote:
14 Jan 2023, 09:28
masneb wrote:

5600x here. i could say i felt a difference in terms of responsiveness/fps drops but it wasn't big enough to allow excluding being placebo

so how did you set up your bios? can you share it?

timetraveller

Post by timetraveller » 20 Jan 2023, 08:22

masneb wrote:
so how did you set up your bios? can you share it?
both cppc thing disabled
c-state off
PBO set to whatever hits 73c degrees on full load
PSS support off
manual ram OC
cpu fan profile on turbo
fast boot off
onboard audio device off
all rgb leds off

masneb

Post by masneb » 07 Feb 2023, 19:00

I have asus and used search functionality to find both entries. If you're on AMD you'll have two one for CPPC and one for CPPC preferred cores.

Keep in mind it may lower your average FPS a bit, but should improve your .1% and 1%. It shifts from loading your best cores to the brim to balancing equally across all cores (you can check in task manager while playing games if you're curious). While loading the best cores sounds great, it's not when windows loads them with your game AND your services, RGB software, discord, and whatever other stuff you have running in windows.

Pure failure on Microsofts part and AMD hasn't tried to fix it. Same reason SMT/Hyperthreading still has issues because it often times overloads cores when it shouldn't touch the virtual cores at all.

Also if you have older then a 5XXX series don't turn CPPC off, it's needed to manage the multiple CCDs in 3XXX series and older. 5xxx and newer uses a different way of addressing cache, chiplets, and has a different internal setup.

Gozaro

Post by Gozaro » 21 Sep 2023, 03:29

Guys I found the solution to this issue. Reinstall windows then don't update or install any software. Just straightly go to display settings and then advanced display settings and then change refresh rate to your max refresh rate from here. Don't change it from nvidia control panel ever. This fixed my issue.

TheKelz

Post by TheKelz » 22 Sep 2023, 10:19

Gozaro wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 03:29
Guys I found the solution to this issue. Reinstall windows then don't update or install any software. Just straightly go to display settings and then advanced display settings and then change refresh rate to your max refresh rate from here. Don't change it from nvidia control panel ever. This fixed my issue.
Congratulations, you are victim of "did something and it helped me" situation. I hope it sticks for you but the issue will return.