Viper 8Khz Not Running at USB 3.0

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
masneb

Viper 8Khz Not Running at USB 3.0

Post by masneb » 31 Dec 2022, 02:23

Hello, I've been messing around with 8khz on my mouse as I have been after buying it a few years ago. Obviously some games don't respond well to 8khz and sometimes you need a in between setting, however reviews I've seen of the mouse mention you need to run it at USB 3. I have it plugged into a USB 3.1 hub (internal) and all on it's own, but it doesn't run faster then USB 2. I've tried a few different internal hubs including moving it to the USB-C and it never goes above USB 2.0 speeds according to HWINFO.

Is HWINFO bugged or is this a issue on my system? Anyone else confirm this. I've done some googling before hand there doesn't seem to be that many people who even bother looking into stuff like this.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (154.99 KiB) Viewed 5232 times
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/raze ... -8k/6.html

FPSMaster

Re: Viper 8Khz Not Running at USB 3.0

Post by FPSMaster » 31 Dec 2022, 06:30

99% of all gaming mice are still version USB 2. People say, you need to run it on USB 3 because on many motherboards, USB 2 doesnt go directly to your CPU instead it goes trough the chipset first, which causes latency etc.
While on the other hand, most motherboards have 2-4 USB 3.0 Ports that go directly to your CPU for better USB speeds and faster responsiveness. So, thats completely normal. Manufactures think Its unecessary to have mice be USB 3 compatible, because they dont need to transfer data as fast as SSDs/HDDS need to. Did you test your Mouse on 8k in Mouse Tester? Does it give you stable results?

masneb

Post by masneb » 31 Dec 2022, 18:01

Viper 8k is supposed to be USB 3, it's required for consistent 8khz performance and part of the minimum requirements. The link I also posted tests it at USB 2 and 3.

FPSMaster

Post by FPSMaster » 01 Jan 2023, 06:18

masneb wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 18:01
Viper 8k is supposed to be USB 3, it's required for consistent 8khz performance and part of the minimum requirements. The link I also posted tests it at USB 2 and 3.
Doesnt matter if you test USB 2 vs 3. The mouse is built for USB 2.0 like any other gaming mouse. Otherwise you wouldnt be able to use it on USB 2. You cant change the tech on the mouse trough software and its also not a "bug". USB 2.0 has around 480 Mbit/s speed, thats more then enough to support even higher then 8khz mouse.
Its more about the controllers that can change mouse polling graphs. But coming back to the question of the post, you dont have to worry becuase the informations are valid.

masneb

Post by masneb » 03 Jan 2023, 02:01

FPSMaster wrote:
01 Jan 2023, 06:18
Doesnt matter if you test USB 2 vs 3. The mouse is built for USB 2.0 like any other gaming mouse. Otherwise you wouldnt be able to use it on USB 2. You cant change the tech on the mouse trough software and its also not a "bug". USB 2.0 has around 480 Mbit/s speed, thats more then enough to support even higher then 8khz mouse.
Its more about the controllers that can change mouse polling graphs. But coming back to the question of the post, you dont have to worry becuase the informations are valid.
It's not. You mentioned one of the handful of mice made for USB3, this is one of the handful of mice made for USB3. The review that I linked above literally states that and shows, with graphs, the difference between USB2 and 3. Not sure why we're even discussing this as you don't seem to own one or can comment on it.

I'm looking for a answer as to if other people are having this issue and it's a bug with the reporting software (HWINFO). The review could get it to work in USB 3 mode and not sure whether or not this is just a reporting issue.

Vocaleyes

Post by Vocaleyes » 08 Jan 2023, 06:37

I’d like to chime in.

I run 8k in the usb 2.0 slot. 99% of games run it fine.

There is the issue of having discord running minimised which affects certain games like overwatch, but once FULLY terminated is resolved.

Am currently playing ffxiv, and it’s butter at 8k from the 2.0.

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 10 Jan 2023, 00:13

masneb wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 02:23
Hello, I've been messing around with 8khz on my mouse as I have been after buying it a few years ago. Obviously some games don't respond well to 8khz and sometimes you need a in between setting, however reviews I've seen of the mouse mention you need to run it at USB 3. I have it plugged into a USB 3.1 hub (internal) and all on it's own, but it doesn't run faster then USB 2. I've tried a few different internal hubs including moving it to the USB-C and it never goes above USB 2.0 speeds according to HWINFO.

Is HWINFO bugged or is this a issue on my system? Anyone else confirm this. I've done some googling before hand there doesn't seem to be that many people who even bother looking into stuff like this.

Capture.JPG

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/raze ... -8k/6.html
I just checked mine, looks the same. Did you notice the driver is from 2006? Perhaps updating the driver will enable USB 3.

masneb

Post by masneb » 11 Jan 2023, 22:50

imprecise wrote:
10 Jan 2023, 00:13
I just checked mine, looks the same. Did you notice the driver is from 2006? Perhaps updating the driver will enable USB 3.
It's the microsoft basic driver, it doesn't change anything. I have Synapse installed, which automatically updates the associated drivers. Only way to manually update the basic driver is with something like a driver updater (which tend to be a bit malicious in use).

Not actually sure what's going on here, there are multiple places that say it's a USB 3 mouse, including the testing from the linked website. USBDeview is also showing it running at USB2 speeds. Also posts stating it doesn't work properly when plugged into a USB2 port on reddit.

BTRY B 529th FA BN

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 14 Jan 2023, 09:17

Using USB Device Tree my Razer Viper 8K 'USB Version' says it's 2.00, and it's plugged into the CPU USB port.

nags92

Post by nags92 » 23 Jan 2023, 06:20

Vocaleyes wrote:
08 Jan 2023, 06:37
I’d like to chime in.

I run 8k in the usb 2.0 slot. 99% of games run it fine.

There is the issue of having discord running minimised which affects certain games like overwatch, but once FULLY terminated is resolved.

Am currently playing ffxiv, and it’s butter at 8k from the 2.0.
If you find a fix for the discord issue please let me know. It's been driving me mad, i was able to play Apex + CSGO at 8k with no stutter until the last week or so. :x