would buying an old PC solve it?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
timetraveller

would buying an old PC solve it?

Post by timetraveller » 31 Dec 2022, 11:36

I've being dealing with the same mysterious input lag that goes away but always returns for 4 years now. tried everything.

I'm wondering if buying an old 3570k + gtx970 or similar and using an old windows 7 version could work, since back then there were no issues

what you guys think?

SKILLEN

Re: would buying an old PC solve it?

Post by SKILLEN » 01 Jan 2023, 12:57

Tried,didnt help( was much worse),but not sure we have same problem.

delve

Post by delve » 01 Jan 2023, 15:28

I would go even older, like core 2 duo quad core, 8800gtx and windows xp

Mentucius

Post by Mentucius » 01 Jan 2023, 16:34

I have the same input lag in the mobile (integrated gpu ) and in the ps3! that is old as fuk, I start to think this is about microsoft and his shit windows that start to play with some users, I keep thinking we should move to Microsoft office and tell them about this faking cursed issue

FPSMaster

Post by FPSMaster » 01 Jan 2023, 18:38

I hope this post is a troll...

assombrosso

Post by assombrosso » 01 Jan 2023, 20:11

Try a used old pc, but don’t buy it. I read some threads of this, ppl having much better smoothness in old pcs vs new ones

woodyfly

Post by woodyfly » 02 Jan 2023, 01:53

dont do it. windows 7 also doesnt support many games nowadays. waste of ur money and time trust me

Future

Post by Future » 02 Jan 2023, 16:11

delve wrote:
01 Jan 2023, 15:28
I would go even older, like core 2 duo quad core, 8800gtx and windows xp
You actually inspired me to test something and thanks to you i think i found what is causing the input lag. I borrowed an old pc from a friend with Core2Duo E5200 and Nvidia 9800GT. It came with Windows 7 x64 and just downloaded cs 1.6 and cs source, there was noticeable input lag also framedrops, i dont know why. Then installed windows xp and oooooooooohhhhhhh myyyyyyyy gggggggggoooooooooooddd, this is the snappiest and most responsive mouse input and game feeling i've ever had, i couldnt control my mouse, it was like ten times faster and more responsive. But there is one problem, you cant install steam games on win xp, turns out its not supported anymore so i had to play nonsteam versions. Then i downloaded win7 again and installed it, downloaded the same games with the same settings and same driver versions - everything was broken. Then i installed back XP just to check if i was imagining and no, everything was great again. Then downloaded windows 8.1 and i saw no difference between windows 7 and 8.1. I couldnt run windows 10 on that system but i guess it would be as broken as the other two. Fun fact - i havent done anything as optimisation to windows xp, everything completely stock, just the drivers installed. Didnt even touch the nvidia control panel or anything else. In conclusion, i dont know whats broken after winxp but nothing is the same. Now i know for sure what is the cause of the input lag. If you dont trust me just test it yourself, guys.

BumFlannel

Post by BumFlannel » 03 Jan 2023, 09:05

I've been pondering this for years since the last time csgo felt responsive to me was around late 2014 to 2015 which coincides with me upgrading from a core2 quad q6700, gtx670 and ddr2 ram to an i5 3570k, 1080ti,ddr3 and have since built 2 more new pcs with the problem remaining. I've considered building the same core 2 quad system again to see how it feels.

Future

Post by Future » 03 Jan 2023, 10:43

I think it's not the pc parts, it's the OS. Win 7 and 8.1 were noticeably laggier and the input lag persisted with the same old pc, whereas Win XP was completely fine even without any tweaking, just vsync disabled. Now what I observed was that the fps was dropping even in CS 1.6 on both win7/8.1, but XP was great, no fps drops at all. And I know that I mustn't have any fps drop in 1.6 at all, this game runs fine even on a toaster. Is it coincidence that there were no fps drops and input lag? I don't think so. Perhaps what's causing the fps drops is causing the input lag too. But what changed and what's different? If I found out prolly I'm gonna be able to fix the input lag also. When I disabled the hardware acceleration in the sound control panel in XP, the sound buffer was broken, I had to adjust snd_mixahead cvar in game so that I could hear proper sounds, but the game was amazing man, I can't even describe it.