Ryzen vs Intel Input Lag/Latency

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
masneb

Re: Ryzen vs Intel Input Lag/Latency

Post by masneb » 08 Jan 2023, 00:15

No, I've been waiting for this and haven't seen anything from Gamers Nexus or Hardware Unboxed. Everyone got their LDAT and got super happy about it, then put it away, much like FCAT.

This isn't subjective feel or looking at latencymon. It's Nvidias custom built Latency Display Analysis Tool. Next closest thing, but still not as good is Reflex Analyzer on really expensive monitors, but I wouldn't trust the methodology of most people to actually test something in any meaningful form as can be seen above.

Even among GN and HuB, they don't extensively test the weird peculiarities that are now parts of these systems, like E cores and P cores influence on this lets say based on affinity or CPPC on/off, especially when mixed with W10 vs 11 and then different USB ports. Lots of room for improvement in the tech tuber area, but there is no money there, so extremely niche.

FPSMaster

Post by FPSMaster » 08 Jan 2023, 04:58

Grasshopper24 wrote:
07 Jan 2023, 21:46
I’ve had the following systems:
- 9900k + 3070 with 3200cl16 (basic XMP)
- 5900x + 3080ti with 3600cl14-14-14-28 bdie
- 13700k + 3080ti with 3800c14-15-15-30 (same ram as above)

The Intel based systems feel snappier and have more stable frame rates in game, especially at 1080p. I noticed the 5900x produced higher highs but lower lows. I experienced more stutters and just overall stability issues on AMD. Something to do with the chiplet architect I’m sure.

I actually swapped my mobo and cpu to the i7 and kept everything else the same. If you’ve only ever used ryzen you might not know the difference.

This was another tech subject in which I fell for the techtuber jargon and general consensus that AMD is just as good as intel now. Similar to the IPS vs TN debate.

If you want the fastest stuff with most stability and driver support, and like overclocking and tinkering, go Intel + nvidia.

Also if you’re on ryzen, don’t use PBO outside of games like Valorant or Csgo. Games that require multiple cores/threads benefit from a manual static clock speed. Once I disabled PBO and ran a static clock of like 4.6 all core, I noticed my games ran a bit smoother with less stutters.
You can eliminate 90% of all the stutters by choosing the right ram speed for your CPU + Bios Settings.
Ryzen is really Ram Speed/Timing sensitive and even changing timings from cl14 to cl16 will make a HUGE difference in overall performance across the board, especially 0.1% and 1%. Also Ryzen CPUs are electricity sensitive and like good high quality mosfets.
I would rather buy a cheaper 6core 12hread CPU from AMD pared with high quality 3200mhz Ram on a good mobo instead buy overpriced Intel System.

Tuhin Lavania

Post by Tuhin Lavania » 08 Jan 2023, 07:34

FPSMaster wrote:
08 Jan 2023, 04:58
Grasshopper24 wrote:

The Intel based systems feel snappier and have more stable frame rates in game, especially at 1080p. I noticed the 5900x produced higher highs but lower lows. I experienced more stutters and just overall stability issues on AMD. Something to do with the chiplet architect I’m sure.

I actually swapped my mobo and cpu to the i7 and kept everything else the same. If you’ve only ever used ryzen you might not know the difference.

This was another tech subject in which I fell for the techtuber jargon and general consensus that AMD is just as good as intel now. Similar to the IPS vs TN debate.

If you want the fastest stuff with most stability and driver support, and like overclocking and tinkering, go Intel + nvidia.

Also if you’re on ryzen, don’t use PBO outside of games like Valorant or Csgo. Games that require multiple cores/threads benefit from a manual static clock speed. Once I disabled PBO and ran a static clock of like 4.6 all core, I noticed my games ran a bit smoother with less stutters.
You can eliminate 90% of all the stutters by choosing the right ram speed for your CPU + Bios Settings.
Ryzen is really Ram Speed/Timing sensitive and even changing timings from cl14 to cl16 will make a HUGE difference in overall performance across the board, especially 0.1% and 1%. Also Ryzen CPUs are electricity sensitive and like good high quality mosfets.
I would rather buy a cheaper 6core 12hread CPU from AMD pared with high quality 3200mhz Ram on a good mobo instead buy overpriced Intel System.

I mostly play Halo and i can surely say that on my AMD system there were certain skill jumps ( in Halo ) which were tougher to do than on Intel. And there are some which were impossible to do on AMD.
And this is not due to the fact that the 13900k or 4090 is faster than 5950x and the 3080ti. Its due to the fact that Intel system system is more responsive. Sure i get 100fps more on the same settings on Intel but thats not being discussed here.

FPSMaster

Post by FPSMaster » 08 Jan 2023, 07:46

Tuhin Lavania wrote:
08 Jan 2023, 07:34
FPSMaster wrote:
Grasshopper24 wrote:

I mostly play Halo and i can surely say that on my AMD system there were certain skill jumps ( in Halo ) which were tougher to do than on Intel. And there are some which were impossible to do on AMD.
And this is not due to the fact that the 13900k or 4090 is faster than 5950x and the 3080ti. Its due to the fact that Intel system system is more responsive. Sure i get 100fps more on the same settings on Intel but thats not being discussed here.
I don't agree with your opinion about responsiveness, because you are comparing one to another setup that on paper has around 40-50% more Performance. More FPS will dramatically lower Frametimes, GPU/CPU Usage, FPS troughput and you get less stutters etc.
Its like comparing a old Lamborgini from the 2000 vs brand new Lamborgini.

Grasshopper24

Post by Grasshopper24 » 08 Jan 2023, 13:50

FPSMaster wrote:
Grasshopper24 wrote:

From an architectural standpoint, having all the cores on the same die will always be faster than the chiplet design. All the chiplets do, other than increase AMD’s margins, is add another link in the system that adds additional latency.

Even their new 7000 x3d have these tiny little dies with small cores.

I tried both and prefer Intel. And believe me I tried many different timings and Ram speeds, AMD = AMdDip. 1% lows are dogshit in my experience. Having a chip that clocks 5.0 max all core will always lose to the 5.3 that is capable of higher Ram speeds. Even on ddr5 ryzen is capped to 6000mhz while Intel can push up to 7600+ if you know what you’re doing.

If you’re just throwing a chip in, enabling XMP and never touching it then I guess AMD will suffice. But if you want the fastest gear with most performance you go Intel. If you’re worried about cost I’d still go with the 13600k over any of the ryzen chips, for gaming. If you don’t care about the best for performance then buy whatever, but don’t spread false information that the 2 platforms are equal because they are not.

FPSMaster

Post by FPSMaster » 08 Jan 2023, 14:17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WYIlhzE72s&t=453s Gamer Nexus made a great video about this conspiracy theory that Ryzen would have worse performance and more latency. He set up a Click to Photon Latency test System and made alot of tests with equal performing AMD to Intel System. AMD is even better in some examples and most of the time its equal performing. There you go! (watch the video from beginning, please. Because the link starts at 1min)

Grasshopper24

Post by Grasshopper24 » 08 Jan 2023, 14:33

FPSMaster wrote:
08 Jan 2023, 14:17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WYIlhzE72s&t=453s Gamer Nexus made a great video about this conspiracy theory that Ryzen would have worse performance and more latency. He set up a Click to Photon Latency test System and made alot of tests with equal performing AMD to Intel System. AMD is even better in some examples and most of the time its equal performing. There you go! (watch the video from beginning, please. Because the link starts at 1min)
I’m sorry but he tested with 3200mhz for Intel. Common knowledge Intel benefits from faster Ram whereas ryzen doesn’t scale the same because it can’t handle it. My points in my post above stand.

That’s what I meant earlier, all these techtubers don’t know how to properly benchmark.

FPSMaster

Post by FPSMaster » 08 Jan 2023, 15:03

Grasshopper24 wrote:
08 Jan 2023, 14:33
FPSMaster wrote:
I’m sorry but he tested with 3200mhz for Intel. Common knowledge Intel benefits from faster Ram whereas ryzen doesn’t scale the same because it can’t handle it. My points in my post above stand.

That’s what I meant earlier, all these techtubers don’t know how to properly benchmark.
even when testing Intel on high mhz ram, the difference would be so small, its not worth mentioning. Maybe 0.1-0.2ms difference, if not less.

Grasshopper24

Post by Grasshopper24 » 08 Jan 2023, 15:35

Duplicate
Last edited by Grasshopper24 on 09 Jan 2023, 02:57, edited 3 times in total.

Grasshopper24

Post by Grasshopper24 » 08 Jan 2023, 15:36

FPSMaster wrote:
08 Jan 2023, 15:03
Grasshopper24 wrote:
08 Jan 2023, 14:33
FPSMaster wrote:

even when testing Intel on high mhz ram, the difference would be so small, its not worth mentioning. Maybe 0.1-0.2ms difference, if not less.

Just curious, have you owned any recent Intel based systems? Post 8th gen?

In practice and in theory it’s pretty simple…

Better architecture for performance, higher clock speeds, better memory controller for faster Ram speeds, more stable frame rates. This all contributes to lower overall system latency and responsiveness.

The only way to truly find out is try it for yourself. I used to believe techtuber benchmarks but realized it’s all BS when you try it out for yourself and try pushing both platforms. That’s the whole reason I switched from the 9900k to 5900x. To see the magic of ryzen and it was anything but magical. Maybe other people have had different experiences, I’m just sharing mine.

To OP, Intel is faster /has less latency.