gpu scaling vs Display scaling

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
timecard

Re: gpu scaling vs Display scaling

Post by timecard » 04 Feb 2023, 11:14

Mr1991 wrote:
30 Jan 2023, 15:03
Registry setting that changes:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\<monitordeviceinstancepath>\00\00\Scaling = X
path.PNG
Wasn’t there a setting for “1” in the scaling registry? Can’t remember where I read about it
Yes, it's in the articles I linked above. You need to read both articles to understand how 1 works in different situations.

Code: Select all

DISPLAYCONFIG_SCALING_IDENTITY
Value: 1
Indicates the identity transformation; the source content is presented with no change. This transformation is available only if the path's source mode has the same spatial resolution as the path's target mode.

Slender

Post by Slender » 04 Feb 2023, 15:23

i have same monitor, and im use only display scaling, im use cru with extract reduced for take any resolutions, but if you dont want to use cru
this monitor have preinstalled 1024x768/1280x960 res.
just check display scaling on in nvcp and check settings in monitor aspect ratio or fullscreen,.

owslahd97

Post by owslahd97 » 16 Feb 2023, 16:02

Traveler wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 15:24
owslahd97 wrote:
21 Jan 2023, 15:01
Traveler wrote:
21 Jan 2023, 07:25
What about integer scaling?
If the game you play is a high frame rate FPS competitive game, like CSGO VALORANT Fortnite...I'm pretty sure integer scaling must be the worst, But I don't know about other types of games
What is high FPS, anything above 270-300?
300+FPS

Traveler

Post by Traveler » 16 Feb 2023, 17:45

owslahd97 wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 16:02
Traveler wrote:
owslahd97 wrote:
Traveler wrote:
21 Jan 2023, 07:25
What about integer scaling?
If the game you play is a high frame rate FPS competitive game, like CSGO VALORANT Fortnite...I'm pretty sure integer scaling must be the worst, But I don't know about other types of games
300+FPS
600+ fps with integer-scaled 720p res on a 1440p native monitor resolution - https://youtu.be/Qdp7VfLXnB4

Claims integer scaling is sharper/clearer and has the lowest input lag out of all because it gives him the most fps.
Also, says display scaling on modern monitors like BenQ Zowie 240Hz is better than any GPU scaling.. but integer is better than both display and GPU.
Altough, once we go into such high frames territory, GPU/Display scaling don't make any difference.

Yet again, people on different hardware have different results with all this GPU vs. Display vs. Integer stuff.

Zodasaur

Post by Zodasaur » 17 Feb 2023, 15:14

Traveler wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 17:45
owslahd97 wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 16:02
Traveler wrote:
owslahd97 wrote:

300+FPS
600+ fps with integer-scaled 720p res on a 1440p native monitor resolution - https://youtu.be/Qdp7VfLXnB4

Claims integer scaling is sharper/clearer and has the lowest input lag out of all because it gives him the most fps.
Also, says display scaling on modern monitors like BenQ Zowie 240Hz is better than any GPU scaling.. but integer is better than both display and GPU.
Altough, once we go into such high frames territory, GPU/Display scaling don't make any difference.

Yet again, people on different hardware have different results with all this GPU vs. Display vs. Integer stuff.

Interger scaling is GPU scaling. What do you mean by GPU vs Interger scaling?

Traveler

Post by Traveler » 17 Feb 2023, 19:30

Interger scaling is GPU scaling. What do you mean by GPU vs Interger scaling?
I understand that.
I guess what I meant is, you got regular bilinear GPU scaling and then there's integer scaling.

popugbird

Post by popugbird » 08 Apr 2023, 03:34

PiCKiN wrote:
14 Jan 2023, 00:36
Maybe it’s placebo for me but display scaling feels more responsive on my 2546k.
Same. For me display much more faster in terms of feeling when you move your mouse, but frametearing sometimes is so bad. Also tracking enemy is hard due to icy feeling.
Im also thinking thath 2540k/2546k scalier "skipping" frames when your fps unstable and this is why it feels faster.
GPU feels slower but smoother and tracking much better.
Would be cool if someone with 1000fps cam can check if display scaling on this monitors actually skipping frames/have unstable hz etc.

But every person that i know with this monitor have same feeling - that dispaly is faster.

Beginner

Post by Beginner » 26 Apr 2023, 01:57

owslahd97 wrote:
10 Jan 2023, 07:24
Hi everyone, my english is not very good so i used a translator. For a long time I was using GPU scaling and ticking overlays (NVIDIA) but recently I switched to a new monitor from Zowie 2566k, a 360TN monitor and I've been convinced viewtopic.php?t=6155
reply to this topic, and consulted countless information,But I recently saw two videos, in which the detailed test shows the difference in the delay between the two, and the conclusion is that they are better monitors, and the input delay of display scaling is lower than that of GPU (even the flagship GPU Like 2080ti) I tried both options myself and found a slight difference, the games I usually play are Overwatch 2, VALORANT and APEX LEGENDS,I've noticed that when I'm using display scaling, my mouse movement is more sensitive and difficult to control, whereas when I'm using GPU scaling, I get a more consistent feel, but it feels like the mouse is being guided all the time, which is It is very subtle, and at the same time, the feeling is completely inconsistent in full screen and no zoom. I want to know which setting has the lowest input delay. According to my own understanding, the games I play and my desktop resolution are both 1920X1080, so Can you show that no scaling is necessarily the best option no matter what GPU/display scaling I use? But that's not the case, no matter how I use GPU/display scaling, with no scaling option, it will feel very weird, which doesn't make sense at all, specifically, it becomes very difficult to control the mouse, the mouse does not follow the hand and is extremely sensitive, while in full screen It will be much better, I am really very confused, the person I saw the video commented: "GPU skalling is the real one. He dont understand this. Someone explain shit to him and now he do videos with this wrong information . By me its same in CS. Mouse movement and Display is better and sharper on GPU skalling. Every picture created in the GPU and from here they flying around. GPU is the first step on fps. If you use Display... This Picture from GPU flying to CPU, skalling the GPU image to your display resolution and flying back to monitor. This take time and make it not so sharp. So this is the reson the mouse movement is not exactly and picture is blury...."

Does this make sense?

Here are the links to the two videos I looked up that showed better scaling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocR2y8s ... annel=IORI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=deskt ... el=FR33THY
Helli, my english is not good too. Sorry for that im from germany. Im very interesting in this. I play csgo competiv level. I have a new pc (13900k and geforce 4090) and a new monitor (benq xl2566k). Highend pc and monitor and i noticed the same things. On display scaling my mouse movement and my keyboard movement feels much sharper. In my case that means i can hit better headshot and i have the feeling that my shots "conect" faster. On gpu scaling the game feels more icy like urs. Ingame that means i have the feeling that my mouse movement and keyoard feels a bit delayed. But on gpu scaling my flicks for example feels more consistend. Long story short. Display scaling: less input delay but sometimes my flicks feel off and in some situations i have the feeling my bullets dont connect. Gpu scaling: consistend but icy feeling. I play on 1920x1080 native i tried "no scaling" and "fullscreen". Fullscreen feels the same as display scaling more responsive and no scaling more "icy". When i ticked the box "override blabla" i can much faster alt tab but ingame i only noticed a diference on lower resolutions it looks sharper. Im very interestet in this topic but every forum or youtube video say something different. What ich dont understand is the game feels sharper on display scaling so that means for my brain less input delay. But when i cap my fps to for example 400 ( and my fps never drops under 400) my game feels sharper. When i dont cap my fps (then i have over 1000fps) my game feels not as sharp as capped fps but everbody say more fps less input delay. So its the opposite feeling. Sorry for my bad english but this questions drives me crazy. Have a nice day!

Tiberiusmoon

Post by Tiberiusmoon » 26 Apr 2023, 04:28

Lets weigh up the possibilities:

1.Every monitor is different and how they handle scaling will differ.
2.Each monitor can have different refresh rates which may also impact latency.
3.The scaling information needed by the display is traveling through display cables and may slighty limit the combining Refreshrate and resolution bandwidth causing latency.
4.GPU scaling may increase GPU workload which adds to a GPU bound scenario that adds latency or a reduction in frame rate that also adds latency.

Since I have CapFrameX Im able to research the soft statistics, my system latency is pretty low and stable:

For Apex Legends. (DX11)
Variances show that GPU, No scaling, Override scaling set by games is the most stable.
While enabling ingame scaling there are significant stutters so its better to leave this for the GPU.
Using the GPU, full screen aspect, Override it adds a bit of 8ms variance.
Display scaling does the same but with more 4ms variance.

The spikes in frametime are more frequent and higher with ingame scaling:

Framerate averages also show you have higher framerates when using GPU scaling.

Given these results GPU, no scaling, Override is the most stable.
Its possible that information sent to the display that "no scaling is needed" requires some GPU usage, removing that requirement by stating the GPU should do the scaling and that no scaling is required reduces GPU impact.

TN_fun

Post by TN_fun » 27 Apr 2023, 14:09

Tiberiusmoon wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 04:28
Lets weigh up the possibilities:

1.Every monitor is different and how they handle scaling will differ.
2.Each monitor can have different refresh rates which may also impact latency.
3.The scaling information needed by the display is traveling through display cables and may slighty limit the combining Refreshrate and resolution bandwidth causing latency.
4.GPU scaling may increase GPU workload which adds to a GPU bound scenario that adds latency or a reduction in frame rate that also adds latency.
What resolution are you using in the game?
The guy above is talking about a native resolution, full hd
For him it is better to use (he said so) display scaling, full screen.