gpu scaling vs Display scaling

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
owslahd97

gpu scaling vs Display scaling

Post by owslahd97 » 10 Jan 2023, 07:24

Hi everyone, my english is not very good so i used a translator. For a long time I was using GPU scaling and ticking overlays (NVIDIA) but recently I switched to a new monitor from Zowie 2566k, a 360TN monitor and I've been convinced viewtopic.php?t=6155
reply to this topic, and consulted countless information,But I recently saw two videos, in which the detailed test shows the difference in the delay between the two, and the conclusion is that they are better monitors, and the input delay of display scaling is lower than that of GPU (even the flagship GPU Like 2080ti) I tried both options myself and found a slight difference, the games I usually play are Overwatch 2, VALORANT and APEX LEGENDS,I've noticed that when I'm using display scaling, my mouse movement is more sensitive and difficult to control, whereas when I'm using GPU scaling, I get a more consistent feel, but it feels like the mouse is being guided all the time, which is It is very subtle, and at the same time, the feeling is completely inconsistent in full screen and no zoom. I want to know which setting has the lowest input delay. According to my own understanding, the games I play and my desktop resolution are both 1920X1080, so Can you show that no scaling is necessarily the best option no matter what GPU/display scaling I use? But that's not the case, no matter how I use GPU/display scaling, with no scaling option, it will feel very weird, which doesn't make sense at all, specifically, it becomes very difficult to control the mouse, the mouse does not follow the hand and is extremely sensitive, while in full screen It will be much better, I am really very confused, the person I saw the video commented: "GPU skalling is the real one. He dont understand this. Someone explain shit to him and now he do videos with this wrong information . By me its same in CS. Mouse movement and Display is better and sharper on GPU skalling. Every picture created in the GPU and from here they flying around. GPU is the first step on fps. If you use Display... This Picture from GPU flying to CPU, skalling the GPU image to your display resolution and flying back to monitor. This take time and make it not so sharp. So this is the reson the mouse movement is not exactly and picture is blury...."

Does this make sense?

Here are the links to the two videos I looked up that showed better scaling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocR2y8s ... annel=IORI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=deskt ... el=FR33THY

kokkatc

Re: gpu scaling vs Display scaling

Post by kokkatc » 11 Jan 2023, 14:02

This has been discussed for many years at this point and I believe the consensus would agree that 'Display Scaling' is in fact faster but perhaps not necessarily 'better.' Display scaling uses the monitors built in hardware scaler vs using the GPU to scale the image. Keep in mind that the difference is likely 1ms or less when compared to GPU scaling, especially given how much faster GPU(s) are getting. Some would argue that modern GPU scaling is now as good or better than display scaling. It's a tough subject because some monitors have better built in scalers than others, so performance may vary from monitor to monitor. Also, if you're running your monitor at native resolution, it shouldn't matter since your monitor/GPU don't have to scale the image to a non-native resolution.

A common theme I keep encountering is that GPU scaling may result in far less stuttering than display scaling. GPU scaling may also result in better frametimes than display scaling. IMO, I think gpu scaling results in smoother more consistent gameplay in regards to frametimes/overall smoothness, but display scaling provides a more raw input feel but w/ more opportunity for bottlenecking that results in sudden frametime spikes/stutter/etc. It comes down to personal preference and performance may even vary from game to game.

I think you just need to decide what's more important to you, but the differences are arguably negligible at this point.

owslahd97

Post by owslahd97 » 12 Jan 2023, 17:33

kokkatc wrote:
11 Jan 2023, 14:02
This has been discussed for many years at this point and I believe the consensus would agree that 'Display Scaling' is in fact faster but perhaps not necessarily 'better.' Display scaling uses the monitors built in hardware scaler vs using the GPU to scale the image. Keep in mind that the difference is likely 1ms or less when compared to GPU scaling, especially given how much faster GPU(s) are getting. Some would argue that modern GPU scaling is now as good or better than display scaling. It's a tough subject because some monitors have better built in scalers than others, so performance may vary from monitor to monitor. Also, if you're running your monitor at native resolution, it shouldn't matter since your monitor/GPU don't have to scale the image to a non-native resolution.

A common theme I keep encountering is that GPU scaling may result in far less stuttering than display scaling. GPU scaling may also result in better frametimes than display scaling. IMO, I think gpu scaling results in smoother more consistent gameplay in regards to frametimes/overall smoothness, but display scaling provides a more raw input feel but w/ more opportunity for bottlenecking that results in sudden frametime spikes/stutter/etc. It comes down to personal preference and performance may even vary from game to game.

I think you just need to decide what's more important to you, but the differences are arguably negligible at this point.
Thanks for the answer, as you said, I will always use GPU scaling for the game, but one thing I still don't understand, I repeatedly recorded my performance in the range, both using GPU scaling, based on one Using no scaling and the other using the full screen option, both at native resolution (1080p), the feel of the game is also different, which is why I'm hesitating which one to use, but I can't tell the difference here Bad, not as noticeable as display scaling/gpu scaling.

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 12 Jan 2023, 22:54

Interesting.

I've always used Display scaling but switched over to GPU scaling a few months ago.

Could it be placebo? maybe. But GPU scaling seems to "feel" better (3070).

What I always wondered is whether choosing Display versus GPU scaling even matters when your scaling is set to "No Scaling" beforehand. Does it even do anything when you aren't scaling in the first place? I don't mean a "noticeable"/"significant" difference. I'm talking about any difference at all in what is happening.

Similarly, would setting Fullscreen scaling versus No scaling actually do anything when you are using your native res (1920x1080 for example)?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Jan 2023, 00:28

Shade7 wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 22:54
It varies (at the hundreds of microseconds leagues / at the low-millisecond leagues) but GPU scaling is usually faster than display scaling, when it comes to modern GPUs
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

owslahd97

Post by owslahd97 » 13 Jan 2023, 15:40

Shade7 wrote:
Interesting.

I've always used Display scaling but switched over to GPU scaling a few months ago.

What I always wondered is whether choosing Display versus GPU scaling even matters when your scaling is set to "No Scaling" beforehand. Does it even do anything when you aren't scaling in the first place? I don't mean a "noticeable"/"significant" difference. I'm talking about any difference at all in what is happening.

Similarly, would setting Fullscreen scaling versus No scaling actually do anything when you are using your native res (1920x1080 for example)?
That's exactly what I was trying to say, the feeling is different, the GPU is better for me (I've been using a GPU) my game and desktop resolutions are both 1080p the graphics card is 2080 ti and the monitor is 2566K zowie

PiCKiN

Post by PiCKiN » 14 Jan 2023, 00:36

Maybe it’s placebo for me but display scaling feels more responsive on my 2546k.

owslahd97

Post by owslahd97 » 14 Jan 2023, 10:27

PiCKiN wrote:
14 Jan 2023, 00:36
Maybe it’s placebo for me but display scaling feels more responsive on my 2546k.
I'm 100% sure it's not a placebo, I can blindly tell which is GPU scaling, my thoughts are that the input lag between the two is probably less than 1MS different, but the cause of the inconsistency may have nothing to do with input lag, maybe the monitor It is caused by a fundamentally different way of implementing GPU scaling. Anyway, the conclusion is that whether it is GPU OR display zoom input lag is lower, and their input lag does not need to be entangled with which one is lower, because the gap is too small, but the gap in feel is much higher than the input lag, so choose the scaling mode that suits you. the best. . . . . this is my conclusion

owslahd97

Post by owslahd97 » 14 Jan 2023, 10:33

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
13 Jan 2023, 00:28
Shade7 wrote:
It varies (at the hundreds of microseconds leagues / at the low-millisecond leagues) but GPU scaling is usually faster than display scaling, when it comes to modern GPUs
I would like to ask you a question, if it is confirmed that the delay of the two is exactly the same: for example, the input delay of GPU/DISPLAY is 5ms, will the feeling of the two in the game be different? I think I'm just being misled by the input lag. It stands to reason that an input lag of <1ms should not be noticeably perceived by people. Is it possible that the principle of GPU scaling rendering is not the same as that of display scaling rendering, which leads to the difference in perception. If so, it makes sense: why do I always feel that GPU scaling is better, even though the display on my 2566k Latency is definitely lower than GPU (2080ti). (no matter what monitor I use, even the latest 2566K)
Thanks for your answer :)

Unixko

Post by Unixko » 14 Jan 2023, 11:08

owslahd97 wrote:
14 Jan 2023, 10:33
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
13 Jan 2023, 00:28
Shade7 wrote:
I would like to ask you a question, if it is confirmed that the delay of the two is exactly the same: for example, the input delay of GPU/DISPLAY is 5ms, will the feeling of the two in the game be different? I think I'm just being misled by the input lag. It stands to reason that an input lag of <1ms should not be noticeably perceived by people. Is it possible that the principle of GPU scaling rendering is not the same as that of display scaling rendering, which leads to the difference in perception. If so, it makes sense: why do I always feel that GPU scaling is better, even though the display on my 2566k Latency is definitely lower than GPU (2080ti). (no matter what monitor I use, even the latest 2566K)
Thanks for your answer :)
yes perception thats a right answer