New 1600$ PC build and I cannot figure out why old PC outperforms it gameplay wise?!?!

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
PunksOnHope

Re: New 1600$ PC build and I cannot figure out why old PC outperforms it gameplay wise?!?!

Post by PunksOnHope » 18 Jan 2023, 21:28

these are my latencymon results im not very tech savvy so i honestly dont know how to gleam any info off of it.

PunksOnHope

Re: New 1600$ PC build and I cannot figure out why old PC outperforms it gameplay wise?!?!

Post by PunksOnHope » 18 Jan 2023, 21:34

so core 0 apparently has the highest dpc count is it normal for a single core to have that much relatively? or is this a driver issue where it is timing out and creating a lot of interrupts?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Jan 2023, 21:44

Hello,

For new forum members; here's some tips;

1. You can also edit your posts, using the pencil icon at upper-right corner. Please throttle the number of consecutive replies over a time period. Rapid additions of sentences should be done by post edits.

2. To embed images, make sure the link ends in ".png". You can go to the imgur page that doesn't have a ".png" or ".jpg", then Copy Link or get the embed, and once you've got the .png or .jpg you can embed it more easily.

Long term, phpbb plugins can make the embedding easier, but for now it's a manual task.

Without the IMG tags:
https://i.imgur.com/oYb39zl.png
https://i.imgur.com/LKv2r39.png
https://i.imgur.com/OlupD7u.png
https://i.imgur.com/utYBflU.png

With the URL and IMG tags (four pairs)

Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Jan 2023, 21:48

PunksOnHope wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 19:13
Man this PC gaming rabbithole just tunnels directly into the Earth's core lol.
Correct. It does.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Tuhin Lavania

Post by Tuhin Lavania » 18 Jan 2023, 22:06

PunksOnHope wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 21:34
so core 0 apparently has the highest dpc count is it normal for a single core to have that much relatively? or is this a driver issue where it is timing out and creating a lot of interrupts?
That is high dpc latency even for amd. On my amd system i was able to bring it down to 0.5 avg.
Use interrupt affinity to assign your workloads to different cores. Assigning GPU to the fastest core is one of the things i noticed that brings down dpc latency by a huge margin. Enable turbo boost ( again, a huge step in lowering down dpc )

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 18 Jan 2023, 22:59

PunksOnHope wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 21:29
that didnt work lmao https://imgur.com/a/71ZfKlb
I see a couple issues:
The CPU is reporting 340mhz, which to me indicates CPU power saving is enabled in BIOS.
I have similar high spikes in DPC on a 5950x system, but I think disabling software devices in Device Manager helped with the HDAudio thing, and my sound didn't change a bit.
software devices.png
software devices.png (13.86 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
I also went through and disabled these services. WARNING, this can break some things on the computer. Do not change these unless you are willing to fix it or reinstall Windows.
services.png
services.png (79.27 KiB) Viewed 1301 times
I'm also interested in seeing your RAM timings. Can you share a screenshot of HWINFO like this?:
download/file.php?id=3141
https://www.hwinfo.com/
Last edited by imprecise on 18 Jan 2023, 23:27, edited 2 times in total.

PunksOnHope

Post by PunksOnHope » 18 Jan 2023, 23:14

Tuhin Lavania wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 22:06
PunksOnHope wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 21:34
That is high dpc latency even for amd. On my amd system i was able to bring it down to 0.5 avg.
Use interrupt affinity to assign your workloads to different cores. Assigning GPU to the fastest core is one of the things i noticed that brings down dpc latency by a huge margin. Enable turbo boost ( again, a huge step in lowering down dpc )
sorry im a total noob how would i go about using interrupt affinity is that a third party program? and how would i assign gpu to my fastest core? and i think i do have turboboost enabled.

also i reenabled hpet and the dpc didnt really go down it just started showing dxgkrnl.sys as the most referenced driver. Any insight on what that means? i also disabled the d.o.c.p profile and put my memory at stock speeds and at first this seemed to help but after about 5 minutes it returned and its like once its there it just compounds itself idk i think i definitely have something wrong software wise.

assombrosso

Post by assombrosso » 19 Jan 2023, 00:48

It’s not about settings or bios settings or windows , one of your pc components is causing this, if you have the old pc, start replacing part by part and test, gpu first cuz it’s easy, then cpu, then ram, etc, keep going until there is no input lag and you manage to find that part, then refund it or replace it (this may or may not fix the issue)
Reason why I’m saying this, I read around 4-5 similar threads while I was searching about ppl who had exact same issue as you, new expensive pc, higher frames but input lag was very bad and they end up replacing their new pc or returning it, some of them managed to replace part by part until it got fixed…

assombrosso

Post by assombrosso » 19 Jan 2023, 00:52

My theory about this is that the newer pc components we have today are built with bad electricity/bad rfi deduction techniques that get activated if you were to play in a bad location (that has bad electricity) therefore input lag occurs, old pc components don’t have those many protocols /error correction algorithms , so no lag occurs. Trust me try what I told you. You can’t fix this by trying different settings/bios settings or operating systems, the issue is out of your reach