New 1600$ PC build and I cannot figure out why old PC outperforms it gameplay wise?!?!

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
PunksOnHope

New 1600$ PC build and I cannot figure out why old PC outperforms it gameplay wise?!?!

Post by PunksOnHope » 18 Jan 2023, 08:19

So Ive been lurking here for a while but I cannot seem to find a post that really just resolved my issue...it's as if my problem is a combination of a LOT of issues.

I finally pulled the trigger on a new PC it's build is Ryzen 5800x3D, 6700xt mech, gen 4 ssd, Asus tuf b570 plus wifi main board, 4 dimms of mushkin single rank 3200 microtransfers cl16 memory, rm750 Corsair gold 750 watt psu and I think that's all the important components...

Hardware I'm coming from was a budget pc with a Ryzen 2200g that I had upgraded adding a 1070ti about 8 months ago.

A month or so ago I bought a ViewSonic xg2431 the display is amazing and really improved my performance on my old PC but I couldn't hit stable 240 plus frame rate. It was bothering me because with Nvidia reflex + boost in overwatch and ~200 frames I felt like everything had finally clicked like I could finally aim on PC after 2 years from console. It was amazing but I could only perform well when the game wasnt tanking frames so I said hey this is awesome I'm gonna just upgrade my pc and I'll be set .... Now something is incredibly off and I introduced wayyyy too many variables.

So when I built my new PC I had been reading on windows 11 and most places had been saying it was now stable and I thought the UI was cool, well windows 11 caused some strange extreme input lag where it felt like there was always high demanding processes running. I tried so many tweaks from here.

Disabled screen based optimizations
enabled high dpi upscaling and making it application controlled

removed game bar completely using registry, I enabled resizable bar and above 4g decoding for SAM

I tried hpet on and off from device management settings and ENABLED felt much better.

I honestly can't remember them all but it felt like microstutters and bad input lag in ow2. So today I tried downgrading windows. I did a clean install through the media creation tool and I'm now on windows 10.

Windows 10 immediately felt snappier I quickly unticked enhance pointer precision and installed overwatch to test. I updated and got all drivers it's windows 10 22r2. Performance in windows 10 feels more responsive but my fans seem much louder and frames seem slightly lower. I try my first game of overwatch after applying the basic game settings (enhance pointer precision and 240hz) the game is unplayable again.....except this time my mouse feels like it's on ice.

Totally different mouse feel like it's snappier but I cannot control it at all but just a week ago I felt I had been playing out of my mind for 2 days with 48-60% widow crit accuracies now it's like I'm playing with zero muscle memory and zero control.

I have been using a Razer viper 8k for a few months now and always used 4k polling 1600dpi 2.56 in game. On my Nvidia PC this felt great but on new windows 11 pc felt like bad input stutters/ latency issues on windows 10 it's more responsive not perfect by any means but better but my mouse feel and control makes it absolutely unplayable something is definitely off. Please if anyone knows something I'm losing my sanity.

imprecise

Re: New 1600$ PC build and I cannot figure out why old PC outperforms it gameplay wise?!?!

Post by imprecise » 18 Jan 2023, 18:13

Viper shows up in device manager under ~8 devices as a keyboard and a mouse.

Try this:

[Moderator Note -- turned your image link to an image embe]

PunksOnHope

Re: New 1600$ PC build and I cannot figure out why old PC outperforms it gameplay wise?!?!

Post by PunksOnHope » 18 Jan 2023, 18:24

is it normal in that first field under human interface devices to have two razer viper 8k's each with their own power saving profile? this is just in one section one on top of the other.

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 18 Jan 2023, 18:32

Yes, it's normal. I run mine without razer drivers/software so it shows up as a generic device.

PunksOnHope

Post by PunksOnHope » 18 Jan 2023, 18:50

I followed the 5800x3D guide for CPU latency and performance and disabled smt and a few other things....ill test tonight.

What do u figure this input issue should derive from?

I do see in my mobo guide am4 has an xHCI controller and no USB goes straight to CPU so I tried disabling xHCI handoff as well I haven't tested much but do u think this setting is of relevance to am4 users?

My mouse input still feels slightly off like I'm skipping angles or stutter or something. Cuz I get that feeling in my brain where I'm used to a flick being on the same settings and it's either over or undershooting and some of it is more noticeable in my click timing like u know that feeling in your head that is like a NO that's not right feeling. As I'm not just missing shots just something's not vibing.

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 18 Jan 2023, 18:54

I had similar issues recently, and I still haven't narrowed down the cause 100%. I'm currently using nvidia drivers from 2020 and am reluctant to update them.

PunksOnHope

Post by PunksOnHope » 18 Jan 2023, 19:13

I'm moreso just confused as to why cursor behavior is so different between 10 and 11. I think I may have just bought hardware I'll suited to my needs.

Man this PC gaming rabbithole just tunnels directly into the Earth's core lol.

PunksOnHope

Post by PunksOnHope » 18 Jan 2023, 19:39

just tested and nothings changed still a laggy mess.......anyone know how to get the UWP amd drivers? im considering trying them to see if its a driver issue and i also want to check out HAGS performance.

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 18 Jan 2023, 19:49

I think you should try a fresh reinstallation of Windows, I briefly skimmed over your post (will read it in full later). And, I noticed you metioned using registry editor to remove windows components.

From what I've read, certain Windows 11's core functions are even more integrated with some apps than Windows 10. Forcefully removing these functions could cripple Windows and cause some errors/performance issues. You shouldn't forcefully remove Windows updates, Cortana, Edge, and a few other one's I can't remember.

Windows 11 should be a fairly smooth "out of the box" experience, except for changing a few settings. No need for any harsh debloating... would only introduce the chance for issues to arise rather than any performance improvements.

PunksOnHope

Post by PunksOnHope » 18 Jan 2023, 19:54

the issue persists after i downgraded to windows 10 with a fresh install it just arised in a different way instead of feeling accelerated it now has just as much input lag but while also feeling floaty and like its on ice.

right now im checking older drivers to see if that may have to do with performance.

as for smart access memory im pretty sure that has nothing to do with htis right? i mean all it could do is lower or at worst stay the same latency presumably by increasing bandwidth?