New 1600$ PC build and I cannot figure out why old PC outperforms it gameplay wise?!?!

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
PunksOnHope

Re: New 1600$ PC build and I cannot figure out why old PC outperforms it gameplay wise?!?!

Post by PunksOnHope » 20 Jan 2023, 15:56

I did some playing around with assigning affinities and all I can see it does is move the dpc lag around a bit and it does smooth it out but at the same time seems to produce longer calls. I'm gonna fresh install windows 10 or 11 and go back to my 6700xt and play around with infinities.

This definitely seems to be some software issue as both graphics vendors have forums posts popping up everywhere about their recent drivers post 19045 windows build. Rolling back Nvidia drivers to the same ones I had shows comparable performance in game but with noticeable lag (system and network). For some reason windows 10 online latency is 10 Ms higher than Windows 11 so I might go back to 11 and see about trying the UWP driver if I can even find a recent one.

Viper 8k to me has always felt best at 4k polling/1600 dpi at least in overwatch. But I have been playing 1600 dpi for the last 6 months (1600 dpi 2.56 in-game.) If another fresh install doesn't fix it all I can really do ATP is hope a windows update does.

Most people will not notice the sensation I'm speaking of because it's really only noticeable if you've used a system with lower latency or have a good eye and mouse feel so I feel this isn't more widespread because users simply are mostly casual.

imprecise

Re: New 1600$ PC build and I cannot figure out why old PC outperforms it gameplay wise?!?!

Post by imprecise » 21 Jan 2023, 05:23

I think I've narrowed down the Win10+AMD CPU issue. Any app that sets to above normal priority has the potential to steal resources from your input responsiveness and/or your network responsiveness. I noticed this first with Discord, but there are several other apps that can interfere as well.

Open Task Manager, go to details tab, right click on dwm.exe and set to below normal priority. I'm already noticing flickers on my screen but it's worth it if I can actually play competitive games smoothly.

Other apps that have caused this issue for me:
Epicwebhelper
Steamwebhelper
faceit
discord
firefox/chrome

Big props to Fluffy for this post:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4512

I'm still on MPO maxplanes 4 if anyone can assist in dropping it to 1.

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 21 Jan 2023, 11:40

The apps keep spawning more processes, I'm using processlasso to enforce the apps below normal priority.

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 21 Jan 2023, 22:09

imprecise wrote:
21 Jan 2023, 11:40
The apps keep spawning more processes, I'm using processlasso to enforce the apps below normal priority.
Make sure to put the option to "continuously re-apply settings for apps" on processlasso.

PunksOnHope

Post by PunksOnHope » 22 Jan 2023, 00:16

i literally cannot handle it anymore every tweak i do i think its bringer me closer but after playing for a while its nowhere near there.

my biggest improvement so far was locking the minimum clock on the 6700xt as with low settings in overwatch it wasnt boosting properly.

second improvement was undervolting the 5800x3d

so far i have disabled most of the power management in bios i can find and disabled smt...im back to running 3200mhz memory docp with cl16 timing populating all 4 slots.

i have tried with the 1070ti and then from windows 10 back to windows 11.

i have tried various drivers

ive tried assigning affinities and all that did was move the latency around the cores and actually cause more latency with more irs time like in the 300-500 range

ive tried different polling rates from 1k to 8k on the viper 8k

ive tried removing gamebar completely game mode on and off...disabled fullscreen optimizations

i think this is just it that the 5800x3d just has worse mouse feel and input latency than a comparable intel system...i mean on my 2200g i had better mouse feel and i feel like thats simply because of the manufacturing process involved with chiplets and cache latency.

if anyone knows anything else let me know because right now i simply am not having fun.

PunksOnHope

Post by PunksOnHope » 22 Jan 2023, 01:53

i took my testing a step further i activated core leveling without smt and my input now feels almost as good as it did before its really close i only had to strip down my 350$ cpu into a 80$ one smh. im now only running 4 cores without hyperthreading. does anyone know if there is a way to swap back and forth without bios so i dont have to reboot every time i want to play esports or a non competitive game.

eropsy

Post by eropsy » 23 Jan 2023, 06:27

PunksOnHope wrote:
22 Jan 2023, 01:53
i took my testing a step further i activated core leveling without smt and my input now feels almost as good as it did before its really close i only had to strip down my 350$ cpu into a 80$ one smh. im now only running 4 cores without hyperthreading. does anyone know if there is a way to swap back and forth without bios so i dont have to reboot every time i want to play esports or a non competitive game.
Processlasso software can do this, you can check guide on yt. I also tried to disable HT but on intel and also i got good input feelings but next day everything back to same sh. so enabled back HT :(

PunksOnHope

Post by PunksOnHope » 26 Jan 2023, 16:08

Processlasso software can do this, you can check guide on yt. I also tried to disable HT but on intel and also i got good input feelings but next day everything back to same sh. so enabled back HT :(
[/quote]

Yea I was trying it out playing with 4 cores no smt and it just wasn't enough processing power to not stutter in game. I'll check out process lasso but there is just so much to CPU affinity that if u don't have everything situated right it increases latency. I'm sort of getting used to the added lag and maybe I can check out the developer drivers if I could find where to download them to see if the hardware accelerated GPU scheduling makes a difference.

Slender

Post by Slender » 03 Feb 2023, 15:08

PunksOnHope wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 18:24
is it normal in that first field under human interface devices to have two razer viper 8k's each with their own power saving profile? this is just in one section one on top of the other.
it is not normal, but you can disable all, exept main mouse driver.