xv252qf - potentially faulty DisplayPort - please help

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
nrete

xv252qf - potentially faulty DisplayPort - please help

Post by nrete » 23 Jan 2023, 18:27

Hi all,
I was lured by cheap price of Acer XV252QF on Ebay that was listed with the caveats of no return policy, no warranty and it being a 'new demonstration unit'. I'm desperately looking for an advice after identifying a technical fault.

I was convinced for months that I made an insane downgrade from previously owned XL2456 as I can barely compete with unit due to significant perceivable latency, until I accidentally found out that moving DisplayPort cable a bit to the right in the port (receptacle), temporarily eliminated the problem. I can replicate this 'fix' with 100% success rate within a couple of seconds, but here is no way to prevent cable moving to its original position, thus I have to repeat this process every few minutes.

I've bought VESA certified (KableDirekt) DP 1.4 cable and now I am wiggling it 60~ times during one gaming session instead of the original cable.. This brings me to conclusion that monitor is faulty. I have cleaned DisplayPort, it has no visible damage, cable goes in without obstructions, receptacle looks to be in pristine condition.

May I ask if any of you encountered a similar problem? This bizarre hardware issue drives me insane and I have no idea how to tackle it. The only option that I could think of was buying DP receptacle and trying to convince someone to replace it, but I assume this isn't standard practice.

I rely on your expertise, thank you for taking your time to read this.

nrete

Re: xv252qf - potentially faulty DisplayPort - please help

Post by nrete » 24 Mar 2023, 13:14

I ended up buying another XV252QF. Can confirm that the second monitor had zero issues.

To summarize, both XV252QF had no issues reaching 360hz, however one of them had faulty DP port and I noticed latency when playing games and occasional artifacts that are very hard to spot.

Somewhat of a scary prospect as I would not have discovered root cause of the issue if I wouldn't have accidentally twisted cable in 'the right' way.

Sirito

Re: xv252qf - potentially faulty DisplayPort - please help

Post by Sirito » 25 Mar 2023, 03:12

nrete wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 13:14
I ended up buying another XV252QF. Can confirm that the second monitor had zero issues.

To summarize, both XV252QF had no issues reaching 360hz, however one of them had faulty DP port and I noticed latency when playing games and occasional artifacts that are very hard to spot.

Somewhat of a scary prospect as I would not have discovered root cause of the issue if I wouldn't have accidentally twisted cable in 'the right' way.
Good news that your issue is solved :)
May I ask to what extent the input latency was on the faulty monitor? Was it like 1 sec behind?