Help with strange latency problem related to audio

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Shade7

Re: Help with strange latency problem related to audio

Post by Shade7 » 21 Feb 2023, 18:38

Sebichek45 wrote:
11 Feb 2023, 10:56
Shade7 wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 04:04
RealNC wrote:
02 Feb 2023, 05:34
Shade7 wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 00:40
I'm curious why my mouse performs better with a chipset port. Is it mainly to avoid clashing with onboard audio (CPU by default)?
It appears to be a bug in the CPU itself. This also caused full USB disconnects when using fast USB storage devices (like an SSD in a USB enclosure.) AMD have so far only mitigated the issues with AGESA updates, but it appears it's not really fixable.

So it appears CPU connected ports are best used for storage devices while input devices should be put on chipset ports. I believe the recommendation to use a CPU port for mice was for those "8000hz" mice. A regular 1000Hz gaming mouse is perfectly happy on a chipset port.

If you are getting this "ding dong" sound Windows makes when you connect a mouse to a USB port (the "USB device detected" sound) at random times, this might be the issue. I don't think AMD have actually explained the issue, but people who have tried to debug this claim that the CPU sometimes just takes too long to process USB packets, which can obviously cause mouse skips, and sometimes it takes so long to process them that the USB controller itself will time out and cause a disconnect/reconnect.

In any event, CPU ports are an AMD feature intended to allow full saturation of USB bandwidth for SSDs. Your mouse, keyboard, mic, headset, etc, have really no business being connected to those ports. The latency difference of chipset vs CPU port for input is in the microsecond ballbark, which means it doesn't even matter.
Interesting.

So far I've tried 2 different motherboards for my Ryzen 5600x (ASUS TUF B550 Gaming Plus, ASUS ROG B550-F). So far, I think I got lucky and avoided the early editions of B550 boards, which had the more serious (unusable) USB issues- disconnects, port failure/conflicts.

My boards' USB devices do seem to have a weird sluggishness occassionally that I don't remember having on my older Intel desktop. Those USB slots were pretty much indistinguishable from one another.

I've tried several different during the last year (all wireless), and on all of them, I notice that I absolutely cannot aim in FPS games when using any of the ports on the back of my MOBO. It doesn't matter if it was on a CPU port, 2.0/3.0, Type A, even if it had AMD Extensible Controller all to itself, anytime I use anything except one of my two case front panel ports (3.0 ports, Corsair 5000D Airflow Case), I can't aim at all!

Right now, I'm using a Razer Viper V2 Pro with the 4K HZ polling dongle, and like the other mice, I have to use a front panel port.

I'm hoping this is a B550 board thing, and not the CPU itself.

Found a very nice deal for an ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII HERO and thought it would be the perfect chance to try a non-B550 board. Hopefully I can utilize a USB 3.0 port on this board to work well with mice.
What’s your bios settings with b550 board?
Didn't tweak too much. Here are some things I remember off the top of my head.
  • Fastboot disabled
  • CSM disabled
  • OS = UEFI
  • armory crate disabled
  • all fans (including CPU) set to Turbo Profile
  • Above 4-g decoding enabled
  • Re-Bar enabled
  • DOCP enabled
  • FCLK manually set to half DOCP frequency
  • Global C-states disabled
  • DF C-states disabled
  • CC6 memory encryption disabled
  • PSS support disabled
  • NX mode disabled

Extra things, which I've recently started to use (and prefer when playing Valorant):
  • SMT disabled
  • CPPC disabled
  • CPPC preferred cores disabled

Sebichek45

Post by Sebichek45 » 22 Feb 2023, 21:53

Shade7 wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 18:38
Sebichek45 wrote:
Shade7 wrote:
RealNC wrote:
02 Feb 2023, 05:34

It appears to be a bug in the CPU itself. This also caused full USB disconnects when using fast USB storage devices (like an SSD in a USB enclosure.) AMD have so far only mitigated the issues with AGESA updates, but it appears it's not really fixable.

So it appears CPU connected ports are best used for storage devices while input devices should be put on chipset ports. I believe the recommendation to use a CPU port for mice was for those "8000hz" mice. A regular 1000Hz gaming mouse is perfectly happy on a chipset port.

If you are getting this "ding dong" sound Windows makes when you connect a mouse to a USB port (the "USB device detected" sound) at random times, this might be the issue. I don't think AMD have actually explained the issue, but people who have tried to debug this claim that the CPU sometimes just takes too long to process USB packets, which can obviously cause mouse skips, and sometimes it takes so long to process them that the USB controller itself will time out and cause a disconnect/reconnect.

In any event, CPU ports are an AMD feature intended to allow full saturation of USB bandwidth for SSDs. Your mouse, keyboard, mic, headset, etc, have really no business being connected to those ports. The latency difference of chipset vs CPU port for input is in the microsecond ballbark, which means it doesn't even matter.
Interesting.

So far I've tried 2 different motherboards for my Ryzen 5600x (ASUS TUF B550 Gaming Plus, ASUS ROG B550-F). So far, I think I got lucky and avoided the early editions of B550 boards, which had the more serious (unusable) USB issues- disconnects, port failure/conflicts.

My boards' USB devices do seem to have a weird sluggishness occassionally that I don't remember having on my older Intel desktop. Those USB slots were pretty much indistinguishable from one another.

I've tried several different during the last year (all wireless), and on all of them, I notice that I absolutely cannot aim in FPS games when using any of the ports on the back of my MOBO. It doesn't matter if it was on a CPU port, 2.0/3.0, Type A, even if it had AMD Extensible Controller all to itself, anytime I use anything except one of my two case front panel ports (3.0 ports, Corsair 5000D Airflow Case), I can't aim at all!

Right now, I'm using a Razer Viper V2 Pro with the 4K HZ polling dongle, and like the other mice, I have to use a front panel port.

Found a very nice deal for an ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII HERO and thought it would be the perfect chance to try a non-B550 board. Hopefully I can utilize a USB 3.0 port on this board to work well with mice.
  • Fastboot disabled
  • CSM disabled
  • OS = UEFI
  • armory crate disabled
  • Re-Bar enabled
  • DOCP enabled
  • DF C-states disabled
  • PSS support disabled
  • NX mode disabled

Extra things, which I've recently started to use (and prefer when playing Valorant):
  • SMT disabled
  • CPPC disabled
smt disabled with a 5600x? Do you recommend it with 6 cores? Also you left spread spectrum in auto?

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 26 Feb 2023, 20:55

Sebichek45 wrote:
22 Feb 2023, 21:53
Shade7 wrote:
Sebichek45 wrote:
Shade7 wrote:

Interesting.

• Fastboot disabled
  • CSM disabled
  • OS = UEFI
  • armory crate disabled
  • Re-Bar enabled
  • DOCP enabled
  • DF C-states disabled
  • PSS support disabled
  • NX mode disabled

• SMT disabled
  • CPPC disabled
smt disabled with a 5600x? Do you recommend it with 6 cores? Also you left spread spectrum in auto?
I play Valorant only at the moment, and try to configure my settings for just that. I personally feel Valorant is smoother with SMT disabled. I don't think Valorant takes advantage of more than 6 cores anyway. And, my FPS does not decrease compared to SMT enabled. For other games, you might want to leave SMT on.

Disabled spread spectrum

Sebichek45

Post by Sebichek45 » 01 Mar 2023, 11:00

Shade7 wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 20:55
Sebichek45 wrote:
Shade7 wrote:
Sebichek45 wrote:

• Fastboot disabled
  • CSM disabled
  • OS = UEFI
  • armory crate disabled
  • Re-Bar enabled
  • DOCP enabled
  • DF C-states disabled
  • PSS support disabled
  • NX mode disabled

• SMT disabled
  • CPPC disabled
I play Valorant only at the moment, and try to configure my settings for just that. I personally feel Valorant is smoother with SMT disabled. I don't think Valorant takes advantage of more than 6 cores anyway. And, my FPS does not decrease compared to SMT enabled. For other games, you might want to leave SMT on.

Disabled spread spectrum
Do you download amd chipset? Also how do u configure your msi utility?

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 01 Mar 2023, 21:02

Sebichek45 wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 11:00
Shade7 wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 20:55
Sebichek45 wrote:
Shade7 wrote:

• Fastboot disabled
  • CSM disabled
  • OS = UEFI
  • armory crate disabled
  • Re-Bar enabled
  • DOCP enabled
  • DF C-states disabled
  • PSS support disabled
  • NX mode disabled

• SMT disabled
  • CPPC disabled

Disabled spread spectrum
Do you download amd chipset? Also how do u configure your msi utility?
Yes- I recommend installing chipset drivers (latest straight from AMD)- new one was released yesterday!

No need for MSI utility if you use 30-series GPU or newer IMO.