Latency decreases after switching mouse dpi. Why?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
F1zus

Latency decreases after switching mouse dpi. Why?

Post by F1zus » 02 Feb 2023, 19:23

Hello. I've run into an annoying problem and have been struggling with it for a few years now.
Your mouse has several dpi values. Let's say 400, 800, 1600. You are playing at 800dpi.
After starting any game, I switch the dpi on the mouse with the button 3-5 times, then return to my dpi (800) and my mouse becomes sharper (input lag decreases). The mouse becomes sharper and more responsive at the same value of 800 as before.
Why is this happening?
I have tried different mice, logi, razer, zowie and see this effect everywhere.
I also tried different processors, intel i7 11700k, amd 5600x and everywhere the same effect.
I can't figure out why this is happening?
Each time after changing the DPI and returning to its value, the mouse works faster and sharper.
Can you test this on your mouse and computer?
Attachments
ispolzovanie-knopki-na-myshke-dlya-nastrojki-dpi.png
ispolzovanie-knopki-na-myshke-dlya-nastrojki-dpi.png (26.27 KiB) Viewed 3224 times

TheKelz

Re: Latency decreases after switching mouse dpi. Why?

Post by TheKelz » 03 Feb 2023, 04:35

F1zus wrote:
02 Feb 2023, 19:23
Hello. I've run into an annoying problem and have been struggling with it for a few years now.
Your mouse has several dpi values. Let's say 400, 800, 1600. You are playing at 800dpi.
After starting any game, I switch the dpi on the mouse with the button 3-5 times, then return to my dpi (800) and my mouse becomes sharper (input lag decreases). The mouse becomes sharper and more responsive at the same value of 800 as before.
Why is this happening?
I also tried different processors, intel i7 11700k, amd 5600x and everywhere the same effect.
Each time after changing the DPI and returning to its value, the mouse works faster and sharper.
This is happening on my PC too. Typical input lag issue weirdness. It goes back to laggy after some time, as always. You can also try changing polling rate from one to another and then back, helps the same way too. I sometimes use this to combat input lag.

F1zus

Post by F1zus » 03 Feb 2023, 08:41

TheKelz wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 04:35
This is happening on my PC too. Typical input lag issue weirdness. It goes back to laggy after some time, as always. You can also try changing polling rate from one to another and then back, helps the same way too. I sometimes use this to combat input lag.
So the problem is not only mine.
But I can't figure out why the latency decreases when switching dpi or polling rate.
It has something to do with the Windows timer. I ran the dpclat program and switched dpi many times, during the switch, the delay in the program decreased (and increased over time). This is visible on the chart.
We need to find out what exactly happens to windows when switching dpi or polling frequency.

TheKelz

Post by TheKelz » 03 Feb 2023, 09:01

F1zus wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 08:41
TheKelz wrote:
But I can't figure out why the latency decreases when switching dpi or polling rate.
It has something to do with the Windows timer. I ran the dpclat program and switched dpi many times, during the switch, the delay in the program decreased (and increased over time). This is visible on the chart.
We need to find out what exactly happens to windows when switching dpi or polling frequency.
Would love to hear from people who are more knowledgeable in this.

InputLagger

Post by InputLagger » 03 Feb 2023, 10:35

F1zus wrote:

Use Windows Performance Analyser from Microsoft

F1zus

Post by F1zus » 10 Apr 2023, 13:47

After several days of various tests, I came to the conclusion that the change in mouse latency after switching dpi is due to the c-state state of the processor. This is due to the idle state of the processor and various power saving features. I disabled all possible power saving features in the bios for the processor and chipset. Then I disabled the idle state of the processor in windows and installed the power plan from muren. This reduced the effect of switching dpi. But I still haven't removed it completely.

Vocaleyes

Post by Vocaleyes » 10 Apr 2023, 16:42

F1zus wrote:
TheKelz wrote:
I can add something here, on occasion when changing dpi in razer there would be visible cursor jitter, only when changing polling rate would alleviate this.

This only seemed to happen with the pcie card usb ports.

masneb

Post by masneb » 10 Apr 2023, 21:56

I've noticed this too, however I moved my mouse around my port cluster and it seems to change the input delay.

c-states has nothing to do with it, they will only momentarily change if you change your DPI, similar to any other program doing stuff. The influence is minimal and I have mine off anyway.

This may relate to multiple programs pulling things in the background that was discussed awhile ago and a dev on reddit was testing a branch which limits the ability for background apps to pull your mouse at it's highest rate.

F1zus

Post by F1zus » 11 Apr 2023, 21:13

masneb wrote:
10 Apr 2023, 21:56
I've noticed this too, however I moved my mouse around my port cluster and it seems to change the input delay.

c-states has nothing to do with it, they will only momentarily change if you change your DPI, similar to any other program doing stuff. The influence is minimal and I have mine off anyway.
Maybe you're right. I tested different processors, AMD 3500X, AMD 5600X, different motherboards, different mice and the problem persists everywhere. I also recently installed ubuntu (linux) and after changing dpi my delay changes again. I can't guess what it is.
A little later I'll try to connect the mouse to my phone and check how it behaves on android.

Montilora

Post by Montilora » 11 Apr 2023, 21:17

F1zus wrote:
02 Feb 2023, 19:23
Why is this happening?
OMG its so nice to see this post, this happened to me like 3 weeks ago, game was unplayable and i was like ya know what im gonna do low dpi and low sens and maybe it'll be easier if i have to do more movement/work harder to get where i have to go it wont feel as bad in a way. I switched to 400DPI and low sens and i was like OMG this is not easy but im aiming better because it just feels not as floaty and delayed. I was very optimistic because i finally found something to make my game some what playable for now. I played like 70% of a valorant match then it started feeling worse and i tried to ignore it assuming maybe its just me aaaand yeah. went into the range and it felt just as bad, played another match and it was just as bad as it was before the dpi change lol :(. Soon im gonna be moving pc to different places because im pretty sure its gotta be electricity and if its not ill honestly be so lost on what to do :(.