Windows 11 latest insider build

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Sirito

Windows 11 latest insider build

Post by Sirito » 21 Feb 2023, 21:22

I saw this topic on Reddit from Microsoft engineer regarding a new change on latest insider build of Windows 11, it may be helpful for some of you to try, I didn't try myself because I don't feel a delay in my mouse.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows11/comm ... are_button
And here's another topic of someone who actually tried it

Bloedboer

Re: Windows 11 latest insider build

Post by Bloedboer » 21 Feb 2023, 22:25

That’s me. It actually working great. But gonna take some time to be released on public builds

timecard

Post by timecard » 21 Feb 2023, 23:57

Mentioned it in another thread, and reached out to ross to get more info, so here's some extra detail as this thread is more specific.
viewtopic.php?p=90094#p90094

In brief all windows versions up until now don't handle raw input efficiently when dealing with multiple raw input subscribers, if you have 10 programs all subscribing to raw input, it'll send all the data to each of them which makes computer performance worst when using higher HZ mice. The solution they were testing is to only send 125hz data to background apps and then give full 1000msg a sec to the foreground app.

According to the post this applies to all versions of windows and this change is consider a feature because the way it works was otherwise planned/expected in older versions of windows. I have asked the Reddit OP to see if there's plans to add this feature to Win10 but no reply yet.

As for identifying how many raw input subscribers there are for further discovery and investigation, I spoke with the Reddit OP and there's custom ETW trace providers in Win11 Insiders edition that can give you this information.

When using the "windows insider dev channel" you can get more relevant information by:

Code: Select all

Collect a UIF trace under Input & Language > Mouse and look at the diagnostic data, you can poke around at what's collected, but again the details may change from release to release
masneb wrote:
06 Feb 2023, 23:41
There needs to be some easily accessible way of accessing this information in addition to it being pushed back to W10.
I eventually spoke with the OP of the reddit post, he pretty much said it's highly unliked to make its way to Win10 since it's a feature vs a bug (expected behavior), and it's hard to get new features pushed to older OS unlike security fixes etc.

Stimpy7314

Post by Stimpy7314 » 22 Feb 2023, 08:57

Sirito wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 21:22
I saw this topic on Reddit from Microsoft engineer regarding a new change on latest insider build of Windows 11, it may be helpful for some of you to try, I didn't try myself because I don't feel a delay in my mouse.
And here's another topic of someone who actually tried it

Hm i tried this build and it feels worse then on my previous install

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 25 Feb 2023, 03:59

I would be interested in patching this to a current build, anyone know if this is possible?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Feb 2023, 14:04

Stimpy7314 wrote:
22 Feb 2023, 08:57
Hm i tried this build and it feels worse then on my previous install
Not surprising.

Early alpha Windows Insider builds (Developer builds especially!) have debugging logging that really slows down the whole OS. So 8KHz mouse generally perform slower on Insider Builds than Release Builds, because of the large amounts of debug-logging going on behind the scenes that is also often transmitted to Microsoft for debugging/diagnostic use.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

n1zoo

Post by n1zoo » 25 Feb 2023, 15:57

I tried this build. Super laggy, literally no effects on mouse smoothness

Bloedboer

Post by Bloedboer » 26 Feb 2023, 03:46

Well the changes they made are in the original post. I don’t see how that it could make it worse and it neither did for me. Most people on Reddit were pleased with the changes. When multiple raw input subscribers are used to track mouse input the background subscribers are forced to 125 hz. There is even a video posted of before and after by the Microsoft developer. I’ve spoken to the developer as well and some of the changes will probably be released later this year.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Feb 2023, 04:25

If you're doing bog standard gamer refresh rates (60Hz-240Hz) with bog standard 1000Hz mice, you're probably okay.

I have noticed some certain performance issues (e.g. fewer games working with Razer 8KHz reliably) when you push the needle as far as you can.

Optimization will be critical because Windows 11 supports higher refresh rates than Windows 10 does.

This is important for tomorrow's 1000fps 1000Hz ecosystem.

Most will prefer to stick to retail builds. But debug/developer builds (aka Insider builds) are admittedly slow performing compared to retail builds, so you've got some performance turbulence along the way.

So, pros/cons if you leap onto an Insider build.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Ragerlis

Post by Ragerlis » 26 Feb 2023, 17:56

My mouse movement got better, way more precise and got a more stable experience ingame, especially in resource hungry games.

But the latest DEV build is leaking memory like crazy, and some programs are just refusing to open, no error, nothing, just ignoring the execution.

Its promissing but not really stable atm.