High refresh rate with low fps.

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Aloeh

High refresh rate with low fps.

Post by Aloeh » 24 Feb 2023, 20:38

Hi guys,

I searched for hours e didn't find the answer I was looking for.

I had one monitor 4k ips for work. I liked a lot the monitor until my cat peed at it.

This is the result:

In a need to buy a monitor fast (deadlines) I found the Samsung Oddisey g5 ultrawide 1440p 165hz with freesync premium to be delivered in next day.

Have a VA panel and I missed the smootnes of desktop (I had a 144hz years ago). But now I have some questions.

I don't play competitive games, even online games. I'm fan of crpgs and strategy and grand strategy games.

I made a test in kingdom come deliverance to see the fov problems (there is this problem I have to address) and the game was running at 75~80fps.

Im wanting to replay baldur's gate which runs at 30fps.

So here is the doubt: it's better play with fresync or play with vsync and freesync of and se the screen tearing?

With 165hz I can't cap the games with 82.5 hz. And exist this old games with low framerate.

In my knowledge, with vrr refresh rate = framerate. So run the game at 70hz, 50hz(I want use ray tracing in some games). I don't fully utilizing the potential of monitor.

I am wrong?

Thanks for the attention