How do you disable Core Parking now?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
masneb

How do you disable Core Parking now?

Post by masneb » 09 Mar 2023, 00:10

In W10 with a new processor (12k/13k/possibly X3D chips) It appears as though there is some sort of driver or override in effect that will automatically park cores, EVEN when you have core parking disabled in your power plans. Is there anyway to get around this? I just upgraded from a 5900X to a 13900k and had no core parking to core parking all the time.

I double checked the normal methods of disabling core parking, something is forcing it on. Turning on core parking normally seems to make it worse. Disabling C-States will cause the cores to ignore core parking, however in Resource Monitor it will still say they're being parked... They just refuse to park and will stay active, including activity on them. Ideally I would like to have C-States on and Core Parking off. I don't know if MS is doing this or Intel is doing this.

This is not the same as normal core parking. Turning ON core parking again will cause cores to park more, but turning it off doesn't completely turn it off.

Thatweirdinputlag

Re: How do you disable Core Parking now?

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 09 Mar 2023, 02:32

masneb wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 00:10
In W10 with a new processor (12k/13k/possibly X3D chips) It appears as though there is some sort of driver or override in effect that will automatically park cores, EVEN when you have core parking disabled in your power plans. Is there anyway to get around this? I just upgraded from a 5900X to a 13900k and had no core parking to core parking all the time.

I double checked the normal methods of disabling core parking, something is forcing it on. Turning on core parking normally seems to make it worse. Disabling C-States will cause the cores to ignore core parking, however in Resource Monitor it will still say they're being parked... They just refuse to park and will stay active, including activity on them. Ideally I would like to have C-States on and Core Parking off. I don't know if MS is doing this or Intel is doing this.

This is not the same as normal core parking. Turning ON core parking again will cause cores to park more, but turning it off doesn't completely turn it off.
24 cores & 8 threads! They are doing you a favor by parking some of them.. That said, core parking will happen at "C6 state". If you want to avoid that, hop into your bios and enable all C-States reporting up to C6 "If your BIOS gives you an option to do so, I'm assuming since you have a 13900K you kinda have to have a relatively high end board".

You can also disable Processor Idle Mode by unhiding it in the advanced power options and disabling it. This will however force all of your CPU threads into C0 state, as lovely as that sounds, it will place a lot of unnecessary strain & power consumption on your system that you probably don't need or want.
Rog Strix Z790i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

Tiberiusmoon

Post by Tiberiusmoon » 09 Mar 2023, 04:03

Open your registry editor and go to this location:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583

Edit ValueMax to 0.

Restart the PC.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 09 Mar 2023, 09:24

masneb wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 00:10

Have you tried ParkControl?
https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/

I just recently upgraded to a 13900k, and I'm not experiencing core parking after using ParkControl + Windows Settings > System > Power > Power mode > Best performance.

That said, I'm using Windows 11, which is better optimized for 12 and 13th Gen CPUs (scheduling, etc). Example sources:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... ssors.html
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16959/in ... mber-4th/3
https://www.wepc.com/cpu/faq/can-intel- ... indows-10/
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comme ... indows_11/
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

masneb

Post by masneb » 09 Mar 2023, 09:47

As per my original post, this is not normal core parking. I know how to unpark cores and have done so for years, written numerous posts on it and it's benefits. With the 13k and presumably the 12k and X3D series, now either a driver or windows enforces a secondary form of core parking. This can't be disabled with normal means and as per my OP, the only way of disabling it is by turning off C-States, which isn't something I'd like to do as cores don't downclock nor do they turbo to 5.8.

Only thing core parking should be used for is reducing power consumption which I don't care about when I'm looking for absolute performance. The other problem is when AMD/Intel are tying their thread scheduling hacks into this feature, which I'm trying to figure out if I can't disable it and see if they're still able to properly move threads to the right cores.

Just to clear this up, this is not normal core parking. Turning on core parking causes the cores to park more often, turning off core parking, the cores will still park. In the case of overwatch, I have lasso setup to move it to my 8p cores and while it does this, 3 of the 8 end up parked and it only using 5. Of those 5, 1-2 will end up over 90% utilization, sometimes hitting 100%. That's unacceptable for so much available processing power. On my 5900x it would gratefully use 8 or so cores, with utilization peaking around 75% on the heavy cores. I've verified this by looking at resource monitor while the game is running.

I have SMT/HT off.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 09 Mar 2023, 09:55

masneb wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 09:47
As per my original post, this is not normal core parking.
If that's the case, is there a scenario I can easily test for you to try and replicate this so we can rule out Win 10/11 scheduling (or other) differences?

I own Overwatch and Lasso as well, by the way.

For all I know, I may be experiencing it as well, but simply don't notice, since I personally never bother to monitor or tweak my CPUs at such a granular level.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

masneb

Post by masneb » 09 Mar 2023, 09:58

jorimt wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 09:55
masneb wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 09:47
As per my original post, this is not normal core parking.
If that's the case, is there a scenario I can easily test for you to try and replicate this so we can rule out Win 10/11 scheduling (or other) differences?

I own Overwatch and Lasso as well, by the way.

For all I know, I may be experiencing it as well, but simply don't notice, since I personally never bother to monitor or tweak my CPUs at such a granular level.
Perhaps, just open resource monitor on a second window, look at the CPU page and it will show PARKED next to the core number.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 09 Mar 2023, 10:19

masneb wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 09:58
Perhaps, just open resource monitor on a second window, look at the CPU page and it will show PARKED next to the core number.
Not a complete match to your scenario (HT enabled and ParkControl disabled parking + Balanced power plan + Windows Settings > System > Power > Power mode > Best performance), but I'm not getting any parked cores with the game running (paused or unpaused).

I can attempt to test your exact scenario, but to do so I'll obviously need to temporarily disable HT in the BIOS and replicate your Lasso and power profile configs (please share them in detail, if you want me to test any further).

core-parking-1.jpg
core-parking-1.jpg (156.55 KiB) Viewed 8303 times
core-parking-2.jpg
core-parking-2.jpg (156.09 KiB) Viewed 8303 times

masneb

Post by masneb » 09 Mar 2023, 10:45

jorimt wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 10:19
masneb wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 09:58
Not a complete match to your scenario (HT enabled and ParkControl disabled parking + Balanced power plan + Windows Settings > System > Power > Power mode > Best performance), but I'm not getting any parked cores with the game running (paused or unpaused).

I can attempt to test your exact scenario, but to do so I'll obviously need to temporarily disable HT in the BIOS and replicate your Lasso and power profile configs (please share them in detail, if you want me to test any further).
Definitely doesn't look parked. Do you have all the drivers installed for your processor/motherboard? Also you have to wait about 2m after boot before they'll park.

Maybe this is a bandaid to make it work better in W10. I didn't want to upgrade to W11 for a lot of different reasons, but will if this is a issue, sadly.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 09 Mar 2023, 11:03

masneb wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 10:45
Do you have all the drivers installed for your processor/motherboard?
Of course; latest BIOS, drivers/chipset/ME/firmware directly from ASUS sources:
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-m ... _download/
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.p ... -(6xx-7xx)
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.p ... H770-Z790)
masneb wrote:
Also you have to wait about 2m after boot before they'll park.
My PC had already been on for a couple hours in those captures.
masneb wrote:
Maybe this is a bandaid to make it work better in W10. I didn't want to upgrade to W11 for a lot of different reasons, but will if this is a issue, sadly.
Again, if you want me to replicate your particular scenario closer as to determine whether it is indeed a Win 10/11 difference, let me know. Just share the complete details.

As for Win 10 vs. 11, I've run the pro version of both, and both "suck" equally in their current state (I remember every Win release from 95 onward, and it's always the same; the last version is always "better" than current, until the next version comes out, and then the current version, which was apparently demon spawn, is now magically "better" than the next version, repeat).

One thing is for certain though; Win 11 is built for native 13th Gen operation, while Win 10 is not. Whether that is contributing to your particular issue remains to be fully determined.