How do you disable Core Parking now?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
masneb

Re: How do you disable Core Parking now?

Post by masneb » 09 Mar 2023, 18:25

jorimt wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 11:03
masneb wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 10:45
Maybe this is a bandaid to make it work better in W10. I didn't want to upgrade to W11 for a lot of different reasons, but will if this is a issue, sadly.
Again, if you want me to replicate your particular scenario closer as to determine whether it is indeed a Win 10/11 difference, let me know. Just share the complete details.

As for Win 10 vs. 11, I've run the pro version of both, and both "suck" equally in their current state (I remember every Win release from 95 onward, and it's always the same; the last version is always "better" than current, until the next version comes out, and then the current version, which was apparently demon spawn, is now magically "better" than the next version, repeat).

One thing is for certain though; Win 11 is built for native 13th Gen operation, while Win 10 is not. Whether that is contributing to your particular issue remains to be fully determined.
Appreciate you actually taking effort to do that. I'm going to image my PC and upgrade it to W11 probably tonight and see if that changes this behavior and post it here. It'll be a good litmus test regardless.

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 11 Mar 2023, 16:46

masneb wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 18:25

Appreciate you actually taking effort to do that. I'm going to image my PC and upgrade it to W11 probably tonight and see if that changes this behavior and post it here. It'll be a good litmus test regardless.
W11 will only make your issue worse. I've been testing it, and it appears the registry entry to disable core parking is now missing, replaced by hundreds of entries.

I would try ParkControl first:

https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/

I was able to disable parking in Process Lasso and just installed ParkControl to verify it's off. For some reason I can't toggle parking back on in Process Lasso. I noticed an immediate improvement in responsiveness after parking was turned off, which was also my experience in the past. I had kind of given up on it until you made this post... thank you for bringing up the topic.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 11 Mar 2023, 18:07

imprecise wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 16:46

I was able to disable parking in Process Lasso and just installed ParkControl to verify it's off. For some reason I can't toggle parking back on in Process Lasso. I noticed an immediate improvement in responsiveness after parking was turned off, which was also my experience in the past. I had kind of given up on it until you made this post... thank you for bringing up the topic.
I assume you didn't read the whole thread before posting? Because I already suggested that here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11690#p91538

This was the OP's reply:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11690#p91540

I then ruled out my cores being parked on the same CPU in a similar scenario to his here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11690#p91544
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 11 Mar 2023, 22:42

jorimt wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 18:07
I assume you didn't read the whole thread before posting? Because I already suggested that here:
Not really, I thought we were talking about core parking here and I meant to reply a couple days ago after disabling it in Process Lasso. It seems like OP might be talking about core boost instead, but it doesn't sound like parking has been disabled either.

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 14 Mar 2023, 06:16

It looks like bitsum already has this answered for us:

CPU Parking is a low-power sleep state (C6) supported by most modern processors and operating systems. It dynamically disables CPU cores in an effort to conserve power when idle. Unfortunately, this power saving comes at a price: Latency when CPUs need unparked to execute code.

Initially, core parking was controlled entirely by the operating system. The aggressive core parking of Windows led to a great deal of inefficiency during bursting CPU loads. Intel moved core parking control onto the chip in the Skylake generation, and AMD followed, but still the parameters of the Windows power plans are set to aggressively park CPU cores. Even the default ‘High Performance’ power plan is not immune. The new ‘Ultra Performance’ power plan copies what Bitsum did with our own ‘Bitsum Highest Performance’ power plan and finally disables core parking entirely.

Source:

masneb

Post by masneb » 15 Mar 2023, 07:55

jorimt wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 18:07
imprecise wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 16:46

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11690#p91538

This was the OP's reply:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11690#p91540

I then ruled out my cores being parked on the same CPU in a similar scenario to his here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11690#p91544
So to update on this, it seems this is a W10 thing... It actually looks like W10 intentionally seems to be hobbling the processor. My 5900x would use 8 cores on w10. My 13900k would be pushed onto 5p cores, even though I set 8p cores in process lasso, it forcibly parks 3p of the 8p cores - even with core parking disabled. Disabling C-States causes the CPU to ignore the core parking status, however w10 will still try to force all the threads onto 5p cores...

I changed to w11 and core parking is now completely gone from resource monitor, while having it disabled on a OS level... this is almost feeling like MS is intentionally hobbling w10 I assume to force people to upgrade. The performance difference is small, but there. Insane for a 24 core processor.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 15 Mar 2023, 08:25

masneb wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 07:55
I changed to w11 and core parking is now completely gone from resource monitor, while having it disabled on a OS level... this is almost feeling like MS is intentionally hobbling w10 I assume to force people to upgrade.
Good to have a confirmation, but not surprising from the sources I shared in an earlier post; Win 11 handles CPU scheduling differently than Win 10 where 12th and (especially where) 13th gen are concerned.

For instance, direct from Intel themselves (obviously applies to 13th gen as well):
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... ssors.html
Summary
Explains 12th Gen Intel® Core™ Thread Director technology is optimized for Windows 11* Task Scheduler.

Description
Need to know if Windows® 10 Task Scheduler designed to assign tasks for P-cores and E-cores. Trying to create a new system with 12th Gen Intel Core processors without using Windows 11.

Resolution
The optimization between the processor and Windows Task Scheduler relies on Intel® Thread Director technology. Intel's Thread Director is a microcontroller built in each Alder Lake processor (12th Generation Intel Core processors ) that is optimized for Windows 11 Task Scheduler to decide which thread goes where (P-core or E-core). Thread director also works with Windows 10 Scheduler, but it is not optimized for it. In summary, for optimal performance for 12th Gen processors, you should go with Windows 11.
AMD X3D CPU's are even worse in this respect (software-level scheduling) from what I've recently gathered, and not only require the latest operating system to perform properly, but additional AMD-specific software installation and configuration, else they will be hobbled, especially for gaming.

At least 12th and 13th gen Intel only require Win 11, I suppose.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

masneb

Post by masneb » 15 Mar 2023, 08:32

jorimt wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 08:25
masneb wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 07:55
I changed to w11 and core parking is now completely gone from resource monitor, while having it disabled on a OS level... this is almost feeling like MS is intentionally hobbling w10 I assume to force people to upgrade.
Good to have a confirmation, but not surprising from the sources I shared in an earlier post; Win 11 handles CPU scheduling differently than Win 10 where 12th and (especially where) 13th gen are concerned.

For instance, direct from Intel themselves (obviously applies to 13th gen as well):
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... ssors.html
Summary
Explains 12th Gen Intel® Core™ Thread Director technology is optimized for Windows 11* Task Scheduler.

Description
Need to know if Windows® 10 Task Scheduler designed to assign tasks for P-cores and E-cores. Trying to create a new system with 12th Gen Intel Core processors without using Windows 11.

Resolution
The optimization between the processor and Windows Task Scheduler relies on Intel® Thread Director technology. Intel's Thread Director is a microcontroller built in each Alder Lake processor (12th Generation Intel Core processors ) that is optimized for Windows 11 Task Scheduler to decide which thread goes where (P-core or E-core). Thread director also works with Windows 10 Scheduler, but it is not optimized for it. In summary, for optimal performance for 12th Gen processors, you should go with Windows 11.
Yup, I'm aware of the thread scheduler tweaks for W11... I'm pointing out if W10 is parking cores, even with core parking off, that's not a optimization, it's intentional sabotage. What you would see if there were no optimizations is no parking at all or parking only on with parking on. It makes no sense to intentionally park 3 out of 8 p cores, then force all the threads onto 5 processors when there are 3 available with nothing going on. My 5900X already spread it out relatively well on 8 cores when I had it setup to do that and the loading looks almost identical to w11 with my 13900k.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 15 Mar 2023, 08:46

masneb wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 08:32
Yup, I'm aware of the thread scheduler tweaks for W11... I'm pointing out if W11 is parking cores, even with core parking off, that's not a optimization, it's intentional sabotage.
You'd have to take it up with Intel and Microsoft, though I'd assume core parking behavior can be tied/related to scheduling in this specific instance.

As for "intentional sabotage," that's an odd way of framing an upgraded OS with a scheduler built from the ground-up specifically for new Intel CPU types. I'm no Microsoft fan, and Windows 11 still needs tons of work (things like the new right-click context menu are absolutely mind-numbingly stupid), but the hate they constantly get online is bordering on hyperbolic and nonsensical; Windows 10 is pushing 8 years old, so when is it "too soon" to expect them to move on to a newer operating system with exclusive features?

InputLagger

Post by InputLagger » 15 Mar 2023, 17:13

imprecise wrote:
14 Mar 2023, 06:16
It looks like bitsum already has this answered for us:

CPU Parking is a low-power sleep state (C6) supported by most modern processors and operating systems. It dynamically disables CPU cores in an effort to conserve power when idle. Unfortunately, this power saving comes at a price: Latency when CPUs need unparked to execute code.

Initially, core parking was controlled entirely by the operating system. The aggressive core parking of Windows led to a great deal of inefficiency during bursting CPU loads. Intel moved core parking control onto the chip in the Skylake generation, and AMD followed, but still the parameters of the Windows power plans are set to aggressively park CPU cores. Even the default ‘High Performance’ power plan is not immune. The new ‘Ultra Performance’ power plan copies what Bitsum did with our own ‘Bitsum Highest Performance’ power plan and finally disables core parking entirely.

Source:

Cores can be unparked via quickCPU program too, if you already have it