Potential major issue with second screen

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
imprecise

Potential major issue with second screen

Post by imprecise » 11 Mar 2023, 19:16

I've been doing some testing to find what is causing particular issues, and found some interesting results in PerformanceTest. I noticed my 2D rendering score was very low compared to similar systems, and have been changing settings and retesting over and over. I finally narrowed it down to having a secondary HDMI smart TV plugged in. Even though it was off and disabled in settings, the results are clear:
2ndscreen.png
2ndscreen.png (164.23 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
I found this post, but still was scoring only 600s instead of 1000s:
https://forums.passmark.com/performance ... -benchmark

I suspect low 2D scores are the source of many issues with inconsistent computer performance, since 2D sprites are often used for visual effects. Please test it as well and share your findings:

https://www.passmark.com/products/perfo ... wnload.php

To make things worse, I just retested under duplicating displays and then selecting Show only on 1, both are scoring normal in the 1000s. I was able to drop the score into the 600s again by changing latency mode and gsync settings while the second display is connected but disabled. I'm not quite sure what's causing the problem, it seems pretty inconsistent overall.

To be clear, the only changes I made were:
1. in display settings: duplicate display/show only on 1
2. in nvidia control panel 3d settings: low latency mode ultra/off
3. in nvidia control panel gsync on/off
4. secondary HDMI TV plugged in/not plugged in
I noticed the settings won't apply in the benchmark software until after it's closed/reopened.

System specs: AMD 5950x CPU, rtx 3090 GPU, 32GB RAM dual channel, 240hz 1440p screen, 120hz 1080p TV.