Using NVIDIA's Control Panel + Profile Inspector to reduce input lag in games?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
TechDeck97

Using NVIDIA's Control Panel + Profile Inspector to reduce input lag in games?

Post by TechDeck97 » 14 Mar 2023, 17:02

Hi, everyone!

I'm looking to find out if there are possible ways of reducing input lag in the games by means other than just simply disabling VSync, mainly, through NVIDIA's Control Panel + NVIDIA Profile Inspector.

I'm doing this to find out if there are options that help further reduce input latency/lag mainly in competitive video games (CS:GO, Overwatch, Fighting Games, etc.), but in all video games in general.

Now, excluding GSYNC and FREESYNC technologies, and other hardware you have, the only options that I've found so far are the following:
¹ - I've heard that using a frame limiter to set your maximum frames per second 1 frame below the refresh rate of your display can also help in reducing input lag. For example, capping the game at 59 frames per second on a 60hz monitor, or 119 on a 120hz monitor, etc. could reduce input lag considerably. Is there any truth to this?

² - Another thing that I've heard is that if you run the game in a windowed mode (whether borderless or not) instead of exclusive fullscreen, you basically utilize Windows’ native V-Sync implementation, which is triple-buffered. So when running the game in a windowed or borderless windowed mode, Windows handles the vertical synchronization, which may lead to smoother gameplay and lower input lag. Of course, in order for this to work you need to disable in-game's VSync.

Additionally, here are all the settings from NVIDIA's Profile Inspector: https://imgur.com/a/ahNb2i6

I suspect only the second category "2 - Sync and Refresh" may have any effect, but I decided to include others as well, just in case.

Has anyone tried meddling with any of these settings (or some other ones) within the Control Panel, or Profile Inspector to further reduce input latency? If so, how was the result? Which options worked best for you, and which didn't?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Using NVIDIA's Control Panel + Profile Inspector to reduce input lag in games?

Post by RealNC » 15 Mar 2023, 13:58

Capping FPS indeed reduces latency a lot. With g-sync, you just cap to 3 or 4 FPS below Hz. You can get the full story on that in the "G-SYNC 101" series of articles, starting from here:

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101- ... -settings/

Before I got a g-sync display though, I did a -0.01FPS cap instead with vsync ON. It helps a lot. See my small guide here:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/the-t ... st-5380262

As well as the Blur Busters guide here:

https://blurbusters.com/howto-low-lag-vsync-on

Also, if the game has an "NVidia Reflex" setting, enable it. If not, you can instead set "low latency mode" to "ultra" in the nvidia panel. These settings will help reduce lag in cases where the game is unable to reach your FPS cap because the GPU load it too high. Personally, I cap my FPS to a value that the game can reach 90% of the time. I like consistency instead of having the game jump from 80FPS to 130 and anything in-between all the time. So I'd cap to around 90 on such game. Or even 60 in very demanding games. But that's personal preference.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

TechDeck97

Re: Using NVIDIA's Control Panel + Profile Inspector to reduce input lag in games?

Post by TechDeck97 » 16 Mar 2023, 10:01

RealNC wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 13:58
Capping FPS indeed reduces latency a lot. With g-sync, you just cap to 3 or 4 FPS below Hz. You can get the full story on that in the "G-SYNC 101" series of articles, starting from here:

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101- ... -settings/

Before I got a g-sync display though, I did a -0.01FPS cap instead with vsync ON. It helps a lot. See my small guide here:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/the-t ... st-5380262

As well as the Blur Busters guide here:

https://blurbusters.com/howto-low-lag-vsync-on

Also, if the game has an "NVidia Reflex" setting, enable it. If not, you can instead set "low latency mode" to "ultra" in the nvidia panel. These settings will help reduce lag in cases where the game is unable to reach your FPS cap because the GPU load it too high. Personally, I cap my FPS to a value that the game can reach 90% of the time. I like consistency instead of having the game jump from 80FPS to 130 and anything in-between all the time. So I'd cap to around 90 on such game. Or even 60 in very demanding games. But that's personal preference.
Thanks for the response RealNC!

Seeing how you're knowledgable about this, I have another question, which I'd love to hear your opinion on this.

As someone who plays fighting games competitively, I'm looking to find out if there are possible ways of reducing input lag by means other than just simply disabling VSync, mainly through software means like NVIDIA's Control Panel, NVIDIA Profile Inspector, RTSS, etc.

Now, excluding GSYNC and FREESYNC technologies, the only options that I've found so far are the following:
¹ - I've heard that if you run the game in a windowed mode (whether borderless or not) instead of exclusive fullscreen, you basically utilize Windows’ native V-Sync implementation, which is triple-buffered. So when running the game in a windowed or borderless windowed mode, Windows handles the vertical synchronization, which may lead to smoother gameplay and lower input lag. Of course, in order for this to work you need to disable in-game's VSync.

² - If tearing is unbearable, which of these NVIDIA's VSync options should I use? I've heard that the Fast option is the best, but I'd like to hear it from you on which of these settings is best used (for fighting games at least); ON, Adaptive and FAST?

³ - This is something new that I recently heard about, but what exactly is Scanline Sync, and is it better than NVIDIA's VSync options described above? I've heard that it basically functions as a software means of reducing tearing, with no input lag like the hardware GSync/FreeSync technologies do it.

Additionally, here are all the settings from
I suspect only the second category "2 - Sync and Refresh" of NPI may have any effect, but I decided to include others as well, just in case.

Now, I'm not sure how familiar you are with fighting games, but most of them run at a fixed frame limit of 60 FPS, as the game's logic is tied to its FPS, so playing any fighting game on more or less than that value would mess up the game quite badly.

Almost all of the fighting games released on PC come with a VSYNC toggle option, meaning we can turn VSync On or Off, naturally at a competitive level, the increased input lag from enabled VSync can slow down your game, so it's always recommended to turn it off.

However, some games produce an enormous amount of tearing when you turn off their in-game VSync, and in order to remedy this, we usually have to resort to using third-party Vsync options.

Which is the reason why I'm asking for your help with this

In your opinion, (excluding GSync/FreeSync technologies) what methods would you recommend to achieve a tear-free image, with the least amount of input lag possible?

Apologies for such a long message, I hope you can respond.

Cheers!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 16 Mar 2023, 10:28

TechDeck97 wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 10:01
Yeah, all of these look right, except windowed mode. And about fast sync, that one is only useful if you're able to reach very high FPS (like double or even triple the FPS compared to your display's refresh rate.)
¹ - I've heard that if you run the game in a windowed mode (whether borderless or not) instead of exclusive fullscreen, you basically utilize Windows’ native V-Sync implementation, which is triple-buffered. So when running the game in a windowed or borderless windowed mode, Windows handles the vertical synchronization, which may lead to smoother gameplay and lower input lag. Of course, in order for this to work you need to disable in-game's VSync.
I don't think so. Windowed mode can give you the same latency as fullscreen at best, but no lower. It can be higher. It depends on various factors, like the flip presentation mode used by the game or MPO support by your GPU. Generally, if you want the lowest latency, go fullscreen.
² - If tearing is unbearable, which of these NVIDIA's VSync options should I use? I've heard that the Fast option is the best, but I'd like to hear it from you on which of these settings is best used (for fighting games at least); ON, Adaptive and FAST?
Fast sync is only useful if you get at least twice the FPS compared to your refresh rate. The other options are not useful since they are just vsync ON with high FPS and vsync OFF with low FPS.
³ - This is something new that I recently heard about, but what exactly is Scanline Sync, and is it better than NVIDIA's VSync options described above? I've heard that it basically functions as a software means of reducing tearing, with no input lag like the hardware GSync/FreeSync technologies do it.
That's right. It's like "poor man's VRR." You run the game with vsync OFF and scanline sync will try and hide the tearing by putting in a place that's not visible.

Additionally, here are all the settings from
There's nothing there latency related that you can't also set in the NVCP.
Now, I'm not sure how familiar you are with fighting games, but most of them run at a fixed frame limit of 60 FPS, as the game's logic is tied to its FPS, so playing any fighting game on more or less than that value would mess up the game quite badly.
Yeah. You don't use an external limiter for those, unless you want to do the low-latency vsync cap. Additionally, I believe SFV doesn't even allow you to use g-sync (not sure, but I think capcom considers g-sync a competitive advantage over others, so they disallow it.)
Almost all of the fighting games released on PC come with a VSYNC toggle option, meaning we can turn VSync On or Off, naturally at a competitive level, the increased input lag from enabled VSync can slow down your game, so it's always recommended to turn it off.
If your monitor runs at 60Hz, sure. If it's higher than 60, then vsync doesn't matter much because of the capped FPS. But it's still gonna be somewhat higher latency than vsync OFF.
In your opinion, (excluding GSync/FreeSync technologies) what methods would you recommend to achieve a tear-free image, with the least amount of input lag possible?
Best is scanline sync fist, next-best is low-latency vsync cap. And obviously always enable reflex if supported, or "ultra" low latency mode in the NVCP.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

TechDeck97

Post by TechDeck97 » 16 Mar 2023, 16:17

Thank you so much for this quality post RealNC, this is exactly what I was looking for :D

I have a couple of more questions if you don't mind answering;

Recently, I was reading about the "Maximum Pre-rendered frames" option within NVIDIA's Profile Inspector, and how setting it to "1" can reduce input lag. Is there any truth to this?

And in fact, what even is this option, and what does it do? Does it even help in low-demanding, FPS locked games like fighting games?
RealNC wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 10:28
Fast sync is only useful if you get at least twice the FPS compared to your refresh rate. The other options are not useful since they are just vsync ON with high FPS and vsync OFF with low FPS.
In that case, what if I run a game just slightly above my refresh rate (e.g. 150 FPS on a 144 Hz screen), and I want to get rid of tearing, should I avoid the "Fast" option in NVCP, and go with something else?

If yes, which option should I enable; ON, Adaptive, Adaptive (half), or in-game's VSync?

Speaking of in-game VSync, when turning off in-game's VSync, if tearing becomes unbearable, should you turn it on only via NVCP (or some other program), or is it better to do it with in-game's own VSync implementation?
That's right. It's like "poor man's VRR." You run the game with vsync OFF and scanline sync will try and hide the tearing by putting in a place that's not visible.
I see that RTSS "Scanline sync" feature has three options; x2, x/2, none. Which of these options should I use, and when?

Also, the "Scanline sync" feature has a number next to it, what does it mean, and what should I set it on? I presume it represents FPS?

And finally, is "Scanline sync" another form of VSync, or is it an FPS limiter?
Yeah. You don't use an external limiter for those, unless you want to do the low-latency vsync cap.
Ok, I won't use an external limiter, but what does the "unless you want to do the low-latency vsync cap" mean?

It could be because I'm tired right now as I'm writing this, but does this mean I should enable some sort of VSync that has the least amount of input latency, if so what would that be? The "Fast" option in NVCP?

One more thing, if capping framerate, what's the recommended value I should set it to? Exactly the same as the refresh rate (i.e. 144), or lower? And when capping framerate, should you do it via external programs (like RTSS), or via in-game's own settings option?
Best is scanline sync fist
Got it! But, just to confirm if I understood you correctly, does this mean:
  • Turn off in-game VSync
  • Enable Scanline sync
  • Don't enable FPS limiter
next-best is low-latency vsync cap
Same question for this one as well, does this mean I should turn on in-game VSync (or through NVCP), plus turn on Low Latency Mode?

Or, did you mean that I should that low-latency VSync option you were talking about earlier?
And obviously always enable reflex if supported, or "ultra" low latency mode in the NVCP
Well, the games that I play don't have a "Reflex Mode" within their settings, but I can enable Low Latency Mode to On, and Ultra for any application.

Speaking of which, what is the difference between "On" and "Ultra" LLM? And which one should I go with, and when?

I thought Ultra should only be used when you're using GSync. Does it have any effect when used without it?

And, that's it!

I apologize for bombarding you with so many questions, but you seem most knowledgeable about this sort of stuff, and I always like talking to people smarter than me, so honestly, I wouldn't know who else to ask this :)

Cheers, and thank you again for providing me with such knowledge!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 20 Mar 2023, 13:13

TechDeck97 wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 16:17
Recently, I was reading about the "Maximum Pre-rendered frames" option within NVIDIA's Profile Inspector, and how setting it to "1" can reduce input lag. Is there any truth to this?
That's the "on" setting in NVCP's "low latency mode." You don't need to use profile inspector.
And in fact, what even is this option, and what does it do? Does it even help in low-demanding, FPS locked games like fighting games?
It doesn't do anything with a capped framerate, since capping prevents pre-rendering. Otherwise, that setting prevents the GPU lagging behind the CPU by more than the specified amount of frames. You can set it to something ridiculous like 8 in profile inspector and then run a game that doesn't alter its own pre-render queue. Classic example here is Witcher 3. You might also need to enable vsync to get the full effect. 8 is gonna be pretty much unplayable.
RealNC wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 10:28
In that case, what if I run a game just slightly above my refresh rate (e.g. 150 FPS on a 144 Hz screen), and I want to get rid of tearing, should I avoid the "Fast" option in NVCP, and go with something else?
You can, but it won't help much and there's gonna be some jitter probably.
If yes, which option should I enable; ON, Adaptive, Adaptive (half), or in-game's VSync?
All of these are self-explanatory and/or well documented all over the web.
Speaking of in-game VSync, when turning off in-game's VSync, if tearing becomes unbearable, should you turn it on only via NVCP (or some other program), or is it better to do it with in-game's own VSync implementation?
It shouldn't matter, but with some games in-game is better, with other games NVCP is better (Fallout 4 is an example where NVCP is better.)
I see that RTSS "Scanline sync" feature has three options; x2, x/2, none. Which of these options should I use, and when?
x/2 syncs to half refresh. That is, at 120Hz, you're gonna get a 60FPS lock. At 144Hz, a 72FPS lock, etc. The x*2 is kinda useless since it has two tear lines and syncs to double your refresh. Normally you use either normal, x/2.
Also, the "Scanline sync" feature has a number next to it, what does it mean, and what should I set it on? I presume it represents FPS?
The number is the display scanline to try and sync against. Use negative numbers, like -100, which means "sync 100 lines above the bottom of the screen." The goal is to hide the tear line near the bottom so it's not visible.
And finally, is "Scanline sync" another form of VSync, or is it an FPS limiter?
It's an FPS limiter. There's no vsync. You turn off vsync and use scanline sync instead.
Yeah. You don't use an external limiter for those, unless you want to do the low-latency vsync cap.
Ok, I won't use an external limiter, but what does the "unless you want to do the low-latency vsync cap" mean?
If you want to use the low-latency vsync method, how would you do it without RTSS? It's just not possible to configure in-game limiters to a 0.01FPS accuracy. And even if you could, they wouldn't be that accurate anyway. So "you don't use an external limiter for those, unless you want to do the low-latency vsync cap."
One more thing, if capping framerate, what's the recommended value I should set it to? Exactly the same as the refresh rate (i.e. 144), or lower? And when capping framerate, should you do it via external programs (like RTSS), or via in-game's own settings option?
With VRR, you can cap to whatever you want that's below -3FPS compared to Hz. With vsync, you use the low-latency vsync cap. Without vsync, you cap to whatever you want.
Got it! But, just to confirm if I understood you correctly, does this mean:
  • Turn off in-game VSync
  • Enable Scanline sync
  • Don't enable FPS limiter
You can enable FPS limiter. You then get a "hybrid scanline sync" that's easier on the GPU. I forgot how to configure this correctly, so you have to search.
next-best is low-latency vsync cap
Same question for this one as well, does this mean I should turn on in-game VSync (or through NVCP), plus turn on Low Latency Mode?

Or, did you mean that I should that low-latency VSync option you were talking about earlier?
The low-latency vsync cap if the -0.01FPS cap described in the guides I linked to.
Speaking of which, what is the difference between "On" and "Ultra" LLM? And which one should I go with, and when?
Ultra will act as if pre-rendered frames was 0, not 1. There might be a small perf hit when doing that, but usually it's worth it.
I thought Ultra should only be used when you're using GSync. Does it have any effect when used without it?
It works regardless of g-sync and helps when GPU is being maxed out (happens when the game can't reach your FPS cap, if you're using one.)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Mar 2023, 17:28

With permission, crossposting a PM from TechDeck97 that I suggested should be part of a public post;
(Chief Blur Buster policy is prefer public/audience when replying to user questions)
TechDeck97 wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 13:06
Hi, Mark / ChiefBB!

I read your many of your guides and articles on this website throughout the years, and I really have to thank you for writing them. They were really informative, and educational. So thank you good sir, and I wish you the best in the future with this type of work :D

Seeing how you're the founder of this great website, and seeing how you frequent this forum and are one of the few knowledgeable folks out there, I wanted to ask you a question regarding input delay with no screen tearing.

Basically, what I want to ask you is;
  • Do you happen to know what is the best method for achieving a tear-free image with the lowest input lag possible (excluding GSync/FreeSync technologies)?
My monitor is Asus MG279Q, which is a 144 Hz monitor with FreeSync although I can't utilize it because my GPU is GTX 980 Ti, so right now, it's basically like any other 144 Hz monitor without the VRR tech.

Anyway, I've read a couple of guides on this like this one, or this one, but most of them try to achieve a tear-free image when your FPS is above your refresh rate.

What I want to know is how to get a tear-free image with the lowest input lag possible in FPS-locked games, that are running below your monitor's refresh rate.

For example, I play fighting games which are locked to 60 FPS. This is done because the game's logic is tied to its FPS, so playing the game on more or less than that value would mess it up quite badly.

Some of the fighting games (mostly newer titles) have either high GPU or CPU load, whereas some of the older titles have both low GPU and CPU load. Now, I'm not sure how much useful this info is, but I thought I'd mention it since I play both types.

Almost all of the fighting games released on PC come with a VSYNC toggle option, meaning we can turn VSync On or Off, naturally at a competitive level, the increased input lag from enabled VSync can increase input latency, so it's always recommended to turn it off.

However, some games produce an enormous amount of tearing when you turn off their in-game VSync, despite being rendered at 144 Hz, and in order to remedy this, we usually have to resort to using third-party VSync options.

Which is the reason why I'm asking for your help with this

Apologies for such a long message, I hope you can respond.

Cheers!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Mar 2023, 17:34

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 17:28
what methods would you recommend to achieve a tear-free image, with the least amount of input lag possible?
The definition of tear-free always require mandatory extra scanout lag for at least some part of the screen surface (not all pixels refresh at the same time, www.blurbusters.com/scanout ...)

It is clear that you have already researched a fair bit -- and it's hard to add except to mention RTSS Scanline Sync. But that works best when you run software that uses less than 50% of GPU, and you only have a GTX 980. So Scanline Sync may only work with extremely old games, otherwise tearing happens anyway.

There are many ways to reduce latency that has various amounts of successes on a per-game, per-system, per-user, per-display basis. So YMMV.

Being limited to 144Hz (mandatory extra scanout lag of tearfree sync technologies) and being limited to a GTX 980, I don't really have much to add that hasn't been mentioned before in this thread.

The fractional capping method is the easiest low-lag tearfree sync technology for systems like these -- although it is prone to sawtooth-latency effects rather than high-but-consistent latency. Latency is never a single number, you can have different lag for different pixels, and you can have different latency cyclics (consistent, volatile, slewing/sawtoothing).

If you have a budget to upgrade, switching the GPU to a the GPU to 1000-series may actually be an inexpensive move as they support FreeSync monitors (via the "G-SYNC Compatible" mechanism). GPU prices have fallen quite a bit, and getting VRR will actually be a significant tearfree low-latency upgrade for you, if you hate tearing.

More Hz is better (100fps at 240Hz is lower-lag than 100fps at 144Hz), but if you could only spend on the GPU or only on the monitor, I'd spend on your GPU first just so you can milk the FreeSync feature of your monitor. There's also even some inexpensive AMD GPU options on the used market, that might give you a free upgrade (sell your GTX 980, buy similar AMD), if you want to sidegrade instead of upgrade. People are generally more willing to pay a few dollars for NVIDIA product (go figure) so you can use that to your advantage.

The GTX 980 is somewhat coveted in emulator communities because some GTX 980s have a VGA output (via a passive DVI-I to VGA adaptor); which actually has inflated GTX 980 values by a few dollars, even if greatly down from mining days. So your 980 is one of the fastest GPUs ever made that still has an analog output; which increases the market value of the GTX 980 in the retro/emulator communities -- as long as you advertise to the correct communities. This gives you a potential sell-and-upgrade opportunity, even if only a minor upgrade to, say a VGA-less GTX 1070 or similar-generation AMD product.

In general, properly-configured VRR is usually one of the world's lowest-lag "Not VSYNC OFF" sync technology, and it's a lot easier than RTSS Scanline Sync (which sometimes requires a powerful GPU)

My verdict: Sidegrade your GPU for free(ish) to get VRR.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

TechDeck97

Post by TechDeck97 » 23 Mar 2023, 20:12

Thank you very much for this informative post, Mike! I hope others will see it if they're ever in the same situation as I am :)
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 17:34
and it's hard to add except to mention RTSS Scanline Sync. But that works best when you run software that uses less than 50% of GPU, and you only have a GTX 980. So Scanline Sync may only work with extremely old games, otherwise tearing happens anyway.
Funny thing is, I do play some of the old games on my PC either through Steam or via emulator. Those that I play through the emulator are the ones that I can't play online, so VSync or input lag are of no concern to me there, as it's all just single-player :D

But the ones that I do play, do in fact use less than 50% of GPU.

For example; I play Ultra Street Fighter IV (Steam), and its system requirements are downright hilarious, even for my aging machine which has an i7-4790K, and GTX 980 Ti.

Other games that I play with similar specs are: King of Fighters '98, 2002, XIII, Mortal Kombat (2011), X

The only exception to this list I guess would be Tekken 7, but nonetheless, you can see the specs of those games I linked, and since they're fighting games, all of them are locked to 60 FPS, as it's tied to game mechanics.

So, seeing how they're limited to 60 FPS, and as someone who plays them on a 144 Hz screen, is there any method to get a tear-free-low-lag gameplay?
The fractional capping method is the easiest low-lag tearfree sync technology for systems like these -- although it is prone to sawtooth-latency effects rather than high-but-consistent latency. Latency is never a single number, you can have different lag for different pixels, and you can have different latency cyclics (consistent, volatile, slewing/sawtoothing).
I'm not sure if the fractional capping method would work here, because, in those guides that I've read, all of them assume that you're running above your refresh rate, not at a fixed framerate that's lower than your refresh rate. Plus I'm not too sure how the game would run even if I cap it at 59 FPS (assuming I even can), instead of its native 60.
If you have a budget to upgrade, switching the GPU to a the GPU to 1000-series may actually be an inexpensive move as they support FreeSync monitors (via the "G-SYNC Compatible" mechanism). GPU prices have fallen quite a bit, and getting VRR will actually be a significant tearfree low-latency upgrade for you, if you hate tearing.

More Hz is better (100fps at 240Hz is lower-lag than 100fps at 144Hz), but if you could only spend on the GPU or only on the monitor, I'd spend on your GPU first just so you can milk the FreeSync feature of your monitor. There's also even some inexpensive AMD GPU options on the used market, that might give you a free upgrade (sell your GTX 980, buy similar AMD), if you want to sidegrade instead of upgrade. People are generally more willing to pay a few dollars for NVIDIA product (go figure) so you can use that to your advantage.

Thank you very much for this info. I wrote it down and will read it when I decide to upgrade my PC (it still has years to be milked, as I always buy quality mainly for longevity :mrgreen:)

And that's it from me.

Thanks once again for such an informative, and educational reply, and even if I can't achieve a "tear-free-low-lag" image, it's fine as the difference in input latency would be only a couple of milliseconds (which your brain adapts to), so I don't want to drag this on too long.

I'm only interested to see if there are some ways of achieving the least possible input lag possible with VSync On, without having a VRR tech at hand, so thanks again for providing such useful information to the whole internet with this website :D

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Mar 2023, 21:23

TechDeck97 wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 20:12
Funny thing is, I do play some of the old games on my PC either through Steam or via emulator. Those that I play through the emulator are the ones that I can't play online, so VSync or input lag are of no concern to me there, as it's all just single-player :D
If you don't mind a complicated setting, then; use Quick Frame Transport and a lower refresh rate.

Then you need to:
1. Turn your 144Hz monitor to 60Hz monitor via 144Hz Quick Frame Transport.
2. Use RTSS Scanline Sync, and calibrate tearing to just right above top edge of the screen (not below bottom edge).

Most 1080p60 modes are a VT of 1125 (1080 visible, 45 blanking).

For creating a DIY QFT, a Custom Resolution of approximately (1125*144/60) = VT2700 would be what you need. You can use ToastyX CRU from www.monitortests.com and use Vertical Total Calculator. This gives you a 60Hz mode with refresh cycles that transmit over the DisplayPort/HDMI cable in 1/144sec. And RTSS Scanline Sync as the low-lag VSYNC technology for your 60Hz mode.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8946

TechDeck97 wrote:
So, seeing how they're limited to 60 FPS, and as someone who plays them on a 144 Hz screen, is there any method to get a tear-free-low-lag gameplay?
Turn your 144Hz monitor into a low-lag 60Hz monitor via a DIY QFT technique. No YouTuber covers QFT (yet), and Blur Busters is the main place with these HOWTO.
TechDeck97 wrote:
I'm not sure if the fractional capping method would work here, because, in those guides that I've read, all of them assume that you're running above your refresh rate, not at a fixed framerate that's lower than your refresh rate. Plus I'm not too sure how the game would run even if I cap it at 59 FPS (assuming I even can), instead of its native 60.
Remember, 144Hz monitors can run at 143Hz, 142Hz, 141Hz, 140Hz ... [...] .... 62Hz, 61Hz, 60Hz, via creating a Custom Refresh Rate. However, lower Hz is usually laggier on a high-Hz monitor, without some tricks such as Quick Frame Transport.
TechDeck97 wrote:
Thanks once again for such an informative, and educational reply, and even if I can't achieve a "tear-free-low-lag" image, it's fine as the difference in input latency would be only a couple of milliseconds (which your brain adapts to), so I don't want to drag this on too long.

I'm only interested to see if there are some ways of achieving the least possible input lag possible with VSync On, without having a VRR tech at hand, so thanks again for providing such useful information to the whole internet with this website :D
You got the answer, since you can do sub-50% GPU.

The answer is obvious if you have enough advanced-user skills: Use QFT + RTSS Scanline Sync.

A custom native 60Hz mode (60 refresh cycles per second, but each refresh cycle refreshing in 1/144sec). It's a fairly complicated mode, but ToastyX Made it easier with its new Vertical Total Calculator.